Quinoa Salad (with pic!)

Options
jezlightyear
jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
Okay, so a lot of people don't really know what to do with the infamous "quinoa"... but my mum told me a great recipe! This started out as a brown rice salad (which tastes lovely too) but I much prefer the quinoa. (:

NOTE: THIS RECIPE IS FOR TWO PORTIONS, PLEASE KEEP THAT IN MIND WHEN MAKING!

(Thought I'd include a little photo of it, picture's worth a thousand words 'n' all...)

j0lo2a.jpg

PER PORTION:
Calories - 378
Carbs - 56
Fat - 12
Protein -11
Sat Fat - 2
Sugar - 22

- Quinoa, 92g dry (depending on how much you're making will depend on how much you use, i'll do this recipe for TWO portions!)
- Salad peppers, 150g
- Cashew nuts, 20g
- Reduced salt soy sauce, 15ml
- Oil, 10ml (I personally use Carotino Healthier Cooking Oil, but olive oil is fine too!)
- Spring onions, 25g
- Seedless raisins, 50g

Right, now you've got all this... basically all you do is throw it all together! It's THAT simple. Cook up the quinoa, (follow instructions on the pack if you're not sure, but you can tell when it's cooked when you can see the seed coming apart from it's 'outer bit') chop up the peppers and spring onions, I personally like to chop & roast my cashews (gives them a nice flavour) but that's not a necessity. My mum says to let the quinoa cool before adding everything else, but I always just bung it together in a bowl and then put it in the fridge and it tastes fine!

If you want, add a pinch of salt and pepper, but I find that if you leave it in the fridge for long enough the spring onions spread their flavour and the extra salt really isn't necessary.

Hope this helps at least somebody :P I love having this for lunch or even a half portion for a light snack!

Replies

• pg1girl
    pg1girl Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    This looks amazing! I'm going to make it today. Thank you for sharing.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Yum!
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options

I personally use Carotino Healthier Cooking Oil

I love that stuff. Hubby complains that it 'turns the fried eggs orange', lol.

Salad loos great, will give it a try.
  • jezlightyear
    Options

I personally use Carotino Healthier Cooking Oil

I love that stuff. Hubby complains that it 'turns the fried eggs orange', lol.

Salad loos great, will give it a try.

haha, i thought that when my mum started using it but then i tried it and it doesn't actually taste any different! (:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious! The pic makes it even more appetizing. Hungry now.
  • jezlightyear
    Options
    Looks delicious! The pic makes it even more appetizing. Hungry now.

i always like a recipe with a photo, so thought i'd take that and run with it (: i'm very glad i have made you hungry though, mission accomplished ;P