Problems with Low Blood Pressure while working out?

Options
So I have low blood pressure, normally. Like... it's supposed to be around 120/80, and I come in somewhere around 90/50.

I went to see my doctor, who told me that my "Dizzy Spells" while working out are due to my blood pressure bottoming out. And that this is "not necessarily worrisome". Uh huh. Ok... So what is supposed to happen when my dizziness makes me fall off a treadmill into the wall behind me? I think that would be pretty "worrisome" to me.

Anybody else have this issue? I've tried the following (unsuccessfully):

1) Eating 1 CUP of almonds before working out
2) Drinking 1 glass of water before working out
3) Eating 1 hour before working out
4) Eating 20 mintues before working out

I still get dizzy. Today I tried eggs, turkey bacon, yogurt, fruit cup, & juice... waiting about 30 minutes, shovelled the driveway & went to the gym. But I still felt a *little* light headed on the treadmill. So I'm *guessing* this didn't work either.

Replies

• BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Honestly girl go back to your doc and ask for tests or seek a second opinion from another doc. I think the eating before a workout should've helped. You may have an underlying health issue. Good luck!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I'm a cardiac nurse who has a similar situation. I routinely run a BP of 85-90/45-50, which is normal for me. I notice I have problems with changing positions drastically, ESPECIALLY when I haven't been the best about drinking plenty of water. I get dizzy working out with burpees, etc, and it's always worse if I didn't eat well before I exercise.

The nurse side of me is saying to go see a cardiologist. You may have intermittant bradycardia (low heart rate) which is contributing to the problem. You could wear a monitor for a few days to a week and it will lend insight into what your ticker is doing during these episodes.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    mine is borderline low, and it took me years of eating the wrong foods to balance it to learn what works. Sine my teens / early 20's it's only been bad in pregnancy, I literally couldn't stand in one place (like supermarket queues) for more than a couple of minutes with my youngest. If you do get 'too' dizzy then lay on the floor and put your legs up against a wall.. great for sorting it out - and let the staff know at your gym 'just in case'.. it'll save them calling an ambulance if the worst happens.

Water & Protein before works for me. I also eat something cold after (fruit)

have water to hand, and don't stay too long running would be my tip. Blood 'settling' in your legs can be an issue so maybe circuits would help?

I do notice I am a bit dizzy getting off my static bike sometimes so guess I need to take my own advice here! lol
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Caffeine?

It raises your BP a little bit, might be enough to keep you above the fall off the treadmill stage.
  • sarahhie
    sarahhie Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My bp is usually in the 95/55 range and also deal with dizziness while exercising. The biggest thing to watch for is any sudden shift in exercise (changing positions, pushing yourself too hard to quickly, etc). The best thing I can do for myself is have a high protein snack before hand, drink a lot of water, and remember to slow down or speed up in stages. I also avoid activities that quickly move between standing and sitting/lying down. Burpees are out.