Is it damaging to work out after supper?

Options
Hi,
I know that it's best to work out in the morning before you start your day but if I *really* don't have the time and come home late is it damaging to do my work out dvd around 8 PM?

My damaging I mean something like giving me sleep problems, or digestive issues something along those lines.

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    No, it will cause damage. Might keep you awake at best but I don't find that.

The best time to work out is when you can find time no matter when that is and stick with it.
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I meant will not cause damage...oops.
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    my workouts start between 7-8 at night. that is my zone, when i do best. it's different for everyone. but it does not cause me any problems at all.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Not at all. Depending on my schedule and kids's schedules I will work out in the evening if that is the time available. Sometimes it takes me a while to calm down and relax enough to fall asleep, but that's about it as far as problems.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have been working out whenever I can since Jan 2nd and it's not caused me any issues. Literally some nights I finish an hours cardio, get a bath (bloody shower is broken) and fall into bed.
  • BaileyBoo13524
    BaileyBoo13524 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Definitely no damage I read an article that actually said you will sleep better if you workout about an hour before bed :) digestion maybe. I've had issues with it if I do intense cardio like running intervals after dinner, but when I do DVD's at night I don't have any problems :) good luck!
  • beyg
    beyg Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    my personal experience if you eat something heavy and a lot of it. It can hurt your tummy, on the other hand if you eat small amount I have no problems. On my long bike rides I can eat several time p&j. lots of fruit, cookies and more P&j. It all goes away fast when i start riding. and I mean riding while eating it, no stomach issues for me. yes I also drink plenty of water.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Working out any time of day is fine, if you can get it in! I don't like to exercise late because it can keep me up. But if it is the only time you have, use it!
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    i work out after work most days, at like 5 or 6, but when i have a late meeting or something, i go after dinner and it's been fine. i think the best time to work out is when you will ACTUALLY do it!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    The best time to workout is whenever you have time...I don't think there is an advantage to working out in the morning VS working out at night.

If you find that it gives you problems, then see if you can switch it around. I workout around 5-6 and never have any problems.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i usually eat dinner around 7pm, and dont usually work out until later, between 9 and 11 depending on when my kids go to sleep. i have a protein shake after i workout, and then go to sleep. no problems :) i lost about 6 pounds last month, and 17.5 inches overall in the last 30 days.
  • karreec
    Options
    Im not really sure u may want to do some research. Ive always worked out in the morning it helps me and I seem to have more energy thru the day. But I do know people who workout at night cause of work etc...
  • Pattiann237
    Options
    I work out after dinner once in while. It doesn't cause any problems that I'm aware of, sometimes I find that I even have more energy at that time then I do in the am or right after work.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I know that it's best to work out in the morning before you start your day

Where did you get that idea from?
  • Angelabec
    Angelabec Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I exercise most nights, after I have eaten, not too long before I go to bed. Hasn't hurt me.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    The whole 'workout in the morning thing' is another of those myths, I think. I find my workouts are much more effective in the evening after I've had a chance for my body to be digesting some food during the day, and I can use that energy to drive myself harder when I work out. If I try to do it in the morning, I'm more sluggish because I don't have any food energy except what little is left from a full night of sleep.

So, workout when it best fits your schedule. The only problem I have with working out after eating is that it feels like my food hasn't had a lot of time to settle and that's no fun for me. If it works for you, go for it!
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your supper is. If you eat $14 worth of Taco Bell it could be damaging to your treadmill. Those stains take hours to clean up.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    before breakfast and an hour or more after dinner are the best times to work out because your insulin levels are lower.

so you burn more fat.

It really depends on your body. some ppl can run right after eating. others cant. and some ppl can sleep soon fallowing a work out.

i personally cant.

i wake up at 6 am so i can work out, shower, make breakfast, and be out the door by 8. i make the time! lol. you gotta do that same, how ever you want to do it. C:
  • jezlightyear
    jezlightyear Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    The whole 'workout in the morning thing' is another of those myths, I think. I find my workouts are much more effective in the evening after I've had a chance for my body to be digesting some food during the day, and I can use that energy to drive myself harder when I work out. If I try to do it in the morning, I'm more sluggish because I don't have any food energy except what little is left from a full night of sleep.

i totally agree! i'm not much of a morning person but once i'm up and going i find it a lot easier to stay focused and work out in the evening.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    In my experience, it isn't "damaging" at all. About 95% of my workouts happen in the evening, either right after dinner or even later - after I put my son to bed. It hasn't hurt me in any way and I usually sleep better after a good workout.