Calorie in calorie out Question

Options
If you lose weight based on calorie in calorie out.. How do people lose so much weight on a low carb high protien diet where they eat all meats and cheese and everything VERY high in calories and still lose lots if weight some people in the 100 pounds... I have done that diet before and the amount of caloiers you take in is unreal... and the scales keep going down.. with no exercise.. So when I hear weight loss is based on the amount of calories in and the amount burned this isn't really right in this case....

Replies

• healthorhighwater
    healthorhighwater Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You're body's fuel is carbs. Without them, it starts using fat and muscle to live. You're in a very unhealthy state in you're body and the fat an cholesterol you consume is literally deadly. Eat whole, unprocessed carbs (whole wheat, fruit, veggies, beans, etc) and there's no worry! But a no-carb diet is very unhealthy.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I believe, Healthy foods, a balanced diet with portion control is the best way to do it forever.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Most people who lose weight without exercise are losing lean body mass, which means you are burning muscle tissue instead of fat. This is NOT what you want because you end up looking "skinny fat" with saggy skin, no muscle tone, and looking like you weigh a lot more than you really do. Some people end up looking sickly also. Putting muscle back on is very hard to do, so it's best to exercise and incorporate resistence training as you go to keep the lean mass you have.

Low carb diets work the same way as any other weight-loss regimine. You are essentially cutting your calorie intake. Steak is fatty and full of calories, but if you eat nothing but veggies (no potato products, etc.) and fatty meat, you will still be under your calorie limit unless you eat enormous volumes of it.
  • timeformetofly
    timeformetofly Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    but my point it.. people lose lots of weight taking in LARGE amounts of calorie on those diets... so the calorie in calorie makes me wonder???
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    but my point it.. people lose lots of weight taking in LARGE amounts of calorie on those diets... so the calorie in calorie makes me wonder???

They are not consuming large quantities. At least not large enough to be at a caloric surplus consistently, which is the whole point.