how to make cabbage soup?

any body knows how to make cabbage soup?
thinking to add it for my dinner :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• any body knows how to make cabbage soup?
    thinking to add it for my dinner :drinker: :drinker:
  • teetsel4
    teetsel4 Posts: 288 Member
    Cabbage Soup Recipe

6 large green onions
    2 green peppers
    1 or 2 cans of tomatoes (diced or whole)
    3 Carrots
    1 Container (10 oz. or so) Mushrooms
    1 bunch of celery
    half a head of cabbage
    1 package Lipton soup mix
    1 or 2 cubes of bouillon (optional)
    1 48oz can V8 juice (optional)
    Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.
    Directions:

Slice green onions, put in a pot and start to saute with cooking spray.

Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out. Cut the green-pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.

Take the outer leafs layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.

Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot.

Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot.

If you would like a spicy soup, add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.

You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.

Use about 12 cups of water (or 8 cups and the V8 juice), cover and put heat on low. Let soup cook for a long time - two hours works well. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  • Cowboy
    Cowboy Posts: 369 Member
    Here's a great Irish Cabbage soup
    Ingredients
    2 cups dark green Savoy cabbage leaves, thinly sliced
    1/2 pound Irish bacon, chopped
    2 large potatoes, peels removed and cut into cubes
    1 cup chicken stock (or as needed )
    1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes, with juice
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions
    Add bacon to a large, deep stockpot or saucepan then cook over a medium high heat until browned. Drain off the excess fat.
    Mix in the potatoes, tomatoes, and chicken stock (enough to cover the mixture). Season with salt and pepper then bring to a boil. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until potatoes become tender.
    Add in the cabbage and allow the soup to simmer for an additional couple of minutes prior to serving.
  • French Cabbage Soup

4 C. mixed Veggie juice
    1 3/4 C. beef broth
    1 pkg of onion soup mix
    1 C. sliced celery
    3 C. shredded cabbage
    1 C. diced onion

In large pan combine veg juice, beef broth and dry onion soup mix. Add celery, cabbage and onion. At low heat cover and simmer 1 hr.

6 (1 1/2 C. serving)
    64 calories 0 gr of fat

I make this and like it......................I don't like using broth or juice from tin cans though, I think it adds a tinny taste sometimes. I look for broth and veggie juice in plastic or carton.
  • dulceluva
    dulceluva Posts: 728 Member
    To save time..

I just use pre-pacakage coleslaw mix...it has cabbage, carrots, radicchio (sp?) and you just toss it in while you are sauteeing your onions/garlic and then add everything else.

So good. Oh and one thing I add to the recipie (original weight watchers recipe) its a spoon full of tomato paste. It gives it a nice red colour and some texture.