Crock Pot Thoughts!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm debating getting a crockpot or not.. I'm not super familiar with them or the recipes but are there a lot of healthy options to use for it or is it not worth the cabinent space/expense? (Especially since I only cook for myself and don't entertain a lot of company)... thoughts or imput are very welcome!

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my crockpot. Theres all kinds of healthy soups and other recipes you can make with it. I always freeze any leftovers and save them for when Im too busy to cook
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Crock pots are awesome.

If you bring lunch there great to make bigger meals and split the portions.

Also depending on the kind you get you can set a time so it starts to cook a period of time before you get home, so you can have a hot meal just my prepping the night before.

I don't use mine a ton, but ive found it great for stew, chili, pulled pork, etc.
  • kittyraccoon7
    kittyraccoon7 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you decide to get one, I suggest you DON'T get a small one... yes, you're only cooking for yourself, however, you'll find it very difficult to make much with it (my current problem)

there's plenty to be made! check out skinnytaste.com and click on 'crockpot recipes'... :happy:
  • Stefanie7125
    Stefanie7125 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I use mine at least twice a wk. I love, love, love it! If you are only cooking for one, you should get a small one. That will save you on space and it should still make enough for two or three meals!
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    They are awesome in the winter. I agree that you should get a big one. 90% of the food you make in it will be easy to freeze if you don't want to eat it all at once.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my crockpots! Yes, crockpotS! We have 6 in different sizes. We use ours at least 3 days a week. Some days I have actually had 2 on at one time.

Lots of great, simple recipes. My favorite is : 1 large jar of store brand mild salsa plus 2, 3 or 4 boneless chicken breast (frozen). Put just those two ingredients in the crockpot on low. When you get home, it is ready and fabulous. We pour the salsa 'gravy' over wheat rotini noodles. Add a veggie and you have a nice supper. :)
  • sheri02r
    sheri02r Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I love my crockpot, it just makes my life easier. Dump all you ingredients into one pot, plug it in, and when you get home you have dinner waiting for you :) here's a link that has a lot of healthy crockpot recipes. Hope it helps :)

http://busycooks.about.com/od/healthycrockpotrecipes/a/healthycrockpot.htm
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I cook just about EVERYTHING in it.....I Love mine:)
  • Femtec74
    Femtec74 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I use mine almost every day. I come home from work at lunchtime and put dinner on - that way - it's ready when I get home. I love roasting chicken and turkey breast in the crock pot - it doesn't dry out like it does in the oven. I also bake potatoes in the crock pot. There are also a lot of light crock pot recipes. Check out Skinnytaste.com, hungrygirl.com and allrecipies.com. They all have some great crock pot recipes. I agree that you should not get a small one. You will most likely get the most use out of a big one. Good luck :)
  • JoniBologna
    JoniBologna Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I will keep this short. Absolutely worth it! :happy:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Highly recommend getting one especially if you aren't much of a cook. So easy to make really good food in it. Makes tough cuts of meat so much more tender by cooking all day. I often put on something before I go to bed so I have lunch ready to bring to work. Chili, meat, soups, veggies, all can be done easily in crockpot.

Don't get a small one and get an oval if you think you will do something like a turkey breast. Fits better and so much more healthy for you than eating lunch meat. Nice to make more and have leftovers. I cook chicken breast or turkey breast and have all week for my salads at lunch.

BTW -- Awesome recipe book at http://www.amazon.com/Fix--Forget--Lightly-Healthy-Low-Fat/dp/156148718X/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1329090284&sr=8-4. There are many different versions to choose from depending on what you are looking for.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I cook only for myself too, and I LOVE my crock-pots (I have 2). Here's how it helps me: Every two weeks, I make 3 crockpot meals. I divvy them up into single serve containers and put about 1/4 of the containers in the fridge and the rest go in the freezer (about 20 meals total). I like to do 3 different meals because I get bored eating the same thing over and over again. I pack one container for my lunch and have another (different) one for dinner, after I work out.

This has worked out well for me since the thought of working out in the gym for an hour and THEN come home and cook.....ugh, no thanks. I like that I can throw a container in the microwave as soon as I get home and in 2-3 minutes I'm eating something nutritious and yummy.

I have several crock-pot cookbooks that I use, but there are a lot of good crockpot websites out there (check out www.skinnytaste.com).

Hope you take the plunge and buy one!
  • jrditt
    jrditt Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    i'm just starting to cook a lot and use my crockpot ALL THE TIME. I have a 6 quart one that I love and only a couple of times have I wished for a smaller one. There are so many healthy recipes on the internet and then you can freeze the left overs. For sure my favorite thing in my kitchen
  • hmiddleton17
    Options
    I love my crockpot!!! There are soooo many different options for low fat meals too!!!!! I love skinnytaste.com Great resource!!
  • jzaz903
    jzaz903 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Love, love, love my crockpots! Yes, crockpotS! We have 6 in different sizes. We use ours at least 3 days a week. Some days I have actually had 2 on at one time.

Lots of great, simple recipes. My favorite is : 1 large jar of store brand mild salsa plus 2, 3 or 4 boneless chicken breast (frozen). Put just those two ingredients in the crockpot on low. When you get home, it is ready and fabulous. We pour the salsa 'gravy' over wheat rotini noodles. Add a veggie and you have a nice supper. :)

i LOVE my CP. i have a 4-quart one and so far, it's good for just me and my husband. if a recipe calls for a 6 or 7-quart CP, i halve the recipe(or borrow my moms... half was lunch for a week and the other half i froze and turned into lunch for another week. all for less than $20!)

this posters salsa chicken sounds a lot like mine... salsa and chicken breasts, that's it! i love how versatile it is- i usually do the chicken over rice with cheese and lettuce, but it can also easily be used in tacos, quesidillas, etc.
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You will not regret it!! It was one of the first things I bought my daughter when she moved out. They are not as expensive as they use to be and they are in all shapes, sizes and prices! Have fun cooking.
  • tcleeton
    Options
    They are great for convenience, taste, and health. You can put meat and vegetables in them in the morning, and come home at the end of the day and eat when you walk in the door. You can make everything in one pot, and it just tastes great. You can also use them to save money, because you can buy tougher and tastier cuts of meat that will just melt after 8 hours of cooking on low.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Heck yes, very much worth it. I live alone, and will cook something for me and my boyfriend, then I use the leftovers for lunches.

I would recommend the kind with a lift out pot, way, way, easier to clean that way. They even make crockpot liners now, they are plastic bags that you put in before you use it, so you don't even have to wash the pot afterwards.

I've seen a crockpot apple oatmeal recipe on MFP before, and you can make up your oatmeal in the crockpot and have it for several mornings for breakfast.

The sky appears to be the limit with crockpot meals!!
  • cryspetstalerson
    Options
    the crock pot is the best thing ever, you can put the food in, in the A.M. and do anything you need to do, and then depending on what it is, you need to pay little attention to it.