vegetarian ways to lose

Options
jenna_laurelle
jenna_laurelle Posts: 20 Member
I became veg about 7 months ago, a much healthier option and i do avoid dairy as much as possible due to stomach issues. But i gained weight when i switched!!! almost 10 lbs and its freaking me out! I need low carb and low sugar recipes i think...any suggestions??

Replies

• javamonster
    javamonster Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs and sugar and I still lost weight. As long as you burn more calories than consume, it matters not what you eat. :flowerforyou: I'm also veg, but have been for over 20yrs. Am I the only person on the planet who actually lost weight after becoming veg? :smile:
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    its not carbs..its not sugar..its calories.

some people...especially newb veggies, gain weight because all they eat are carb rich foods that they tend to over eat..its simple..calories..not carbs.

anyone, vegetarian or not needs to make sure they are consuming a balanced diet. legumes, veggies, fruits, whole grains, nuts, dairy (cheese, yogurt). eat as fresh a food as you can..canned or frozen is perfectly ok..they arent bad or unhealthy as some people claim.

you have to make sure you are eating your macro nutrient ratio..the DRI is around 45-60% of calories from carbs, 10-20 from fats, and around 25-30 from protein. and make sure you pick a varied diet, dont just eat the same things everyday, so you can make sure you are getting all the nutrients and vitamins you need.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    I eat lots of carbs and sugar and I still lost weight. As long as you burn more calories than consume, it matters not what you eat. :flowerforyou: I'm also veg, but have been for over 20yrs. Am I the only person on the planet who actually lost weight after becoming veg? :smile:

lol..no..i've lost fat and put on muscle over the past few years and i'm a vegetarian.
  • Kymmy81
    Kymmy81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    OP I am the same as you - I piled on something like 7kg (15.4lb) in the 6 months after I stopped eating meat. I don't eat much dairy either, thanks to stomach issues. I do still eat eggs. I can only speak for myself, but I think my problem was that I was eating far too many processed carbs (breads, pasta), and fake meats (full of sodium!) in order to feel full and as though I was eating "normally". As my naturopath called it, I was a "junkfood vegetarian". I wish I was like the poster above, but not all calories are created equal for my body. I need to minimise carbs (and eliminate processed carbs entirely) and get as much protein as possible before my weight shifts downwards.

Good luck!