Anyone get exercise induced hives?

Options

Replies

• pammyiam
    pammyiam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    No dryer sheets...I am thinking it was the type of material in my yoga pants
  • jillybean0123
    jillybean0123 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I have that problem and I believe mine is caused by irritation from sweat. I usually wipe anywhere I'm broken out with rubbing alcohol if I'm at work because it is readily available or I will take a shower if I am at home and that seems to fix the problem within 5 minutes. I get bad hives on my upper chest and neck, all up and down my arms and on my thighs.
  • lotofitching
    Options
    From last 4 yrs I am facing same issue. My dermatologist is a stup guy. He couldn't even figure out whats going on with my skin. He asked me to stop using detergents, soaps, dryer ****s etc. and I stopped it but no use. I tried almost 10 differnt creams which he suggested. my rashes start with small pimple(s) on hip and/or groin area and then it become very itchy. Day by day it grows and after some period it starts healing from center. It turns black from center and then keeps occupying in oval/circle shape. Then my legs start itching once hives start healing. No hives or sometimes small pimples on legs but it itches a lot. This lasts for almost 2 to 3 months and reappear after few months.

How can I stop this forever? Please help.
    I changed 2 dermatologists but no use.
  • dreich45
    Options
    Hi everyone, i hope this information helps you...i have been diagnosed with exercise induced anaphalaxis look it up on the web rather then have me explane it. Try cutting out all wheat and/or wheat products 4-6 hours prior to your workout and see if this helps. Wheat has these things called lectins in it which basically block the receptors of your villi in your intestines and lets bad toxins get by into your blood stream hence your body reacts and produces an aboundence of histamine causing your rash/hives. This might not be the case for all but could help some of you. Worth the shot. It could also be a different food that triggers it. Good luck and i holpe this helps some.
  • fitgirltiff
    Options
    I get delayed exercise induced urticaria (hives). I also experience angioedema (swollen lips, eyes). I don't experience it with aerobic exercise (i.e. running), just after anaerobic exercise (weight training). My case is also weird as I don't break out during or right after exercise, but usually a day or two later. I have experienced anaphylaxis once as well after I decided it would be a good idea to start 2 a days (won't try that again any time soon)...It sucks, and I've been told that there's no cure; but I'm trying to find a way to control it. I found that if I load up on antihistamines, I don't have as bad a reaction, if any. I also avoid eating wheat products and try to work out as early in the day as I can. I hate having to take antihistamines because I don't know what long term affects that may have on my body; and because it only masks the symptoms and doesn't really solve whatever the underlying cause is. It's very frustrating to say the least.
  • MCRogers1997
    Options
    I have looked at the pictures for urticaria. I don't get "hives". I'm already taking Zrytec for a handful of allergies so I'm stocked up in that department. My thighs start to itch during exercise and I get what looks like mosquito bites, just a few here and there. I've now come home, showered, and I'm settled in for the night and they still itch. They will eventually calm down but when I workout again- they'll be back, with friends.
  • marilyncuello
    marilyncuello Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get itchy when I run also or walk fast at the park, but not on the elliptical or stair master.
  • jazzcat55
    jazzcat55 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! I itch like CRAZY only on my abdomen and thighs. But, it only happens when I start up walking again after a long lay-off. After I've done it a couple days, it's not a problem anymore. It has happened in all weather...icy cold and blazing hot. I don't think it's related to sweating because, as mentioned, it does happen in cold weather. Plus, you'd think it would happen in sweatier areas of my body than my thighs.

Everyone I've asked about this looks at me funny. Glad I'm not the only one.

Oh, and it only happens when I do my fast walk, never on the arc trainer or treadmill.
  • kimleroy
    kimleroy Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    If you've found an antihistamine that works for you without bad side effects, don't be afraid of using it as needed! I have chronic idiopathic urticaria with angioedema, which means I get terrible hives all over my body every single day for no known reason. Some days my lips and eyes will swell up too. My immunologist has me taking 4x the recommended dosage of 4 different antihistamines daily and they don't really help, but he said that there's very little risk from taking them long term, even at my crazy dosages, so they're worth keeping on for whatever little benefit I might be getting. I also have no side effects from any of them, I think I've built up a tolerance to them by now! Good luck finding something that works!
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I do!

The first time was really bad, I did not know what it was so continued exercising. I went into anaphylactic shock, blacked out, had to go to the hospital in an ambulance. NOT fun.

I have learned that, for some people, it is a combination of allergens mixed with the increased circulation that exercise brings. Things that your body does a decent job of fighting, but can't when its defenses are down while exercising.

For example, I have a mild peanut allergy... No effects when I eat them. BUT if I eat them right before working out, it is guaranteed I will get hives. Another trigger is seasonal allergies... Once again, my allergies are not bad enough to require daily medication. But if I wake up in the morning and I have any kind of symptoms (stuffy nose, itchy eyes), I have learned to take a Zyrtec before working out.

If all else fails, and I feel the hives coming on while exercising, I will take it down a notch. If that does not help, I pop a Benadryl ASAP and things are good. :)

My recommendation is to look at things in your diet/environment that you might slightly be allergic to...
  • MCRogers1997
    Options
    I do!

The first time was really bad, I did not know what it was so continued exercising. I went into anaphylactic shock, blacked out, had to go to the hospital in an ambulance. NOT fun.

I have learned that, for some people, it is a combination of allergens mixed with the increased circulation that exercise brings. Things that your body does a decent job of fighting, but can't when its defenses are down while exercising.

For example, I have a mild peanut allergy... No effects when I eat them. BUT if I eat them right before working out, it is guaranteed I will get hives. Another trigger is seasonal allergies... Once again, my allergies are not bad enough to require daily medication. But if I wake up in the morning and I have any kind of symptoms (stuffy nose, itchy eyes), I have learned to take a Zyrtec before working out.

If all else fails, and I feel the hives coming on while exercising, I will take it down a notch. If that does not help, I pop a Benadryl ASAP and things are good. :)

My recommendation is to look at things in your diet/environment that you might slightly be allergic to...
  • MCRogers1997
    Options
    Holy cow! You might be on to something with the peanut butter! Sometimes when I'm hungry before a workout I eat half a peanut butter sandwich to tide me over. It's filling and I don't burp it up throughout my workout. I'm wondering if THAT'S the days I get the hives?! I'll have to check it out- thanks!
  • erinjack231
    erinjack231 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I thought i was the only one who had this problem, thats why i googled if it was normal. If i start out slowly and make sure i keep the fan on me it helps. It only happens when i run not when i walk. and its because of the heat not anything to do with sweat because i can sweat all day long and not get the hives but if i run then i get them. Neem oil stinks so bad but its great for itching, so is tea tree oil. Rosemary , basil oils are also good. Go to a health food store and ask. But i cant put it on while im running at the gym and by the time i get home its gone. i had this problem when i was in highschool so the teacher only made me walk. Ive been doing pretty good so far this year but lately ive been having problems with it again and it makes me nauseas and then im constanly scratching while runing that im falling all over the treadmill.
  • erinjack231
    Options
    Hey thanks for that but rememebr the wikipeda is not always accurate. anyone can edit the information but alot of the times it is correct just find another resource. but im going to google about that because i break out in hives when i workout
  • erinjack231
    Options
    You just took the words right out of my mouth. Thats exactly what happens to me and the fan thing helps. I dont get the bumps but i get itchy on my chest and on my but. Its gotta be the heat. I think it has something to do with Raynoids diease ( misspell) its where you body temperature does not regulate properly. Do you ever get very very cold feet in the winter where they turn blue and are in pain and in the summer they get so hot they itch? because thats part of it. its your cardiovascular system not working properly. thats what i gather. Im not completely sure . but because my body doesnt regulate temperature properly thats probaly why i get so itchy working out. My body is in shock with the change in temperature. that makes sense
  • jimtryingtoslim
    jimtryingtoslim Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    take a Zyrtec 30min before mate works for me
  • erinjack231
    Options
    People People please do not take algery meds they are only a band aid. Like a cover up. the problem still exisits after it wears off ad stop listening to the idiot doctors .they dont crap!! Go see a natural pathic or talk to your chiropractor. Go to a health food store or a nutrional shop. Google natural cures. Like I said before it has to do with your body temperature not being regulated properly. We ve got to find a way to regulate it. Figure out how your body does that and what to do to jumpstart and that might be a way to cure it. I have the same problem. I get super itchy it almost makes it hard to breathe and makes me nausea
  • b_bartay
    b_bartay Posts: 3
    Options
    This has happened to me several times. It first happened in my third year of college. I was doing wind sprints and broke out in hives, got anaphylaxis, blacked out, and went to the ER. Is only been that bad two more times, but I figured out that I didn't need to go to the hospital so I waited it out. Usually I can tell when it's oncoming because the back of my head starts to itch and I immediately stop running and go take a shower. The weird thing is I played rugby for four years in college and it never happened to me during a game or practice and we routinely ran several miles over the course of both. As a precaution I pretty much gave up running and stick to lifting weights (never happens while lifting) but unfortunately I have to take fitness tests for my job that include a mile and a half run. I avoid eating at all before I take the test and take a couple Benadryl. So far I've been fine. I thought it was the dye in my laundry detergent so I switched to the free and clear kind but that doesn't seem to be it. My second thought was nicotine in my blood stream but so far I haven't been able to test that theory (I'm trying to quit). I'm interested in the wheat theory and I think I'm gonna get a skin test to see if I have a minor food allergy that running triggers. There is a lot more information on the Internet now then when this first started happening to me so I'm glad to know that this is gaining more attention.
  • b_bartay
    b_bartay Posts: 3
    Options
    This has happened to me several times. It first happened in my third year of college. I was doing wind sprints and broke out in hives, got anaphylaxis, blacked out, and went to the ER. Is only been that bad two more times, but I figured out that I didn't need to go to the hospital so I waited it out. Usually I can tell when it's oncoming because the back of my head starts to itch and I immediately stop running and go take a shower. The weird thing is I played rugby for four years in college and it never happened to me during a game or practice and we routinely ran several miles over the course of both. As a precaution I pretty much gave up running and stick to lifting weights (never happens while lifting) but unfortunately I have to take fitness tests for my job that include a mile and a half run. I avoid eating at all before I take the test and take a couple Benadryl. So far I've been fine. I thought it was the dye in my laundry detergent so I switched to the free and clear kind but that doesn't seem to be it. My second thought was nicotine in my blood stream but so far I haven't been able to test that theory (I'm trying to quit). I'm interested in the wheat theory and I think I'm gonna get a skin test to see if I have a minor food allergy that running triggers. There is a lot more information on the Internet now then when this first started happening to me so I'm glad to know that this is gaining more attention.

And I don't think it has to do with pollen allergies or something in the air because of the three times I had anaphylaxis, twice were in Connecticut (once indoor, once outside) and the other time was in South Carolina. I've also broken out in hives in Texas and Virginia. Clearly there's different allergens floating around those parts of the country.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    any antihistamine should work and put the oatmeal in a nylon as the otherposter said so it doesn't cake hard in the drains when it dries you will get quit the pluming mess eventually