Slow metabolism?

Options
Hi ya'll!

I'm 22 years old, and I once weighed 220 pounds when I was about 13 years old. I said enough was enough at 15 or 17 and ate less than 1000 calories a day and worked out A LOT. I dropped down to 150-145, and was in very good shape!

I started to eat a normal amount of calories, around 1600-1700, I gained weight FAST!

I ballooned back up to my old weight of 220 pounds and I've so far lost 28 of it, but it's been a VERY slow crawl and I lose less than 2 pounds a month. I'm getting VERY tired of it. I try to work out 3 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes less. I do not own a gym membership and can't afford it, so I walk and lift weights at home.

No matter what I do (up my calories, lower my calories, up my exercise) I will not lose more than 2 pounds a month. In the last 2 months I haven't lost anything and I fluctuate 2-3 pounds.

Did I mess up my metabolism, how can I make it faster? Or am I doing something wrong? I need help!

Replies

• reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    it's very possible you gave yourself a very low metabolism. very low calorie diets (VLCDs) can be very detrimental for the human metabolism. it puts your body into a state of starvation, so you begin to hold on to anything you can and turn it to fat, because fat provides the most amount of energy for the body (9 kilocalories/gram).

some things to try to give your metabolism a new found boost:
    i hear cinnamon works quite well, and have added it to my own diet
    a product called CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) is known to decrease body fat and increase fat free mass (FFM)
    working out: not only are you burning calories, but when you increase your FFM, your metabolism gets boosted because muscle requires a lot of energy to stay maintained, so you will burn more calories the more muscle you have.

hope this helps, and good luck

Reed
  • spiralgirl71
    spiralgirl71 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem from a past eating disorder. If I eat in my normal calorie range without working out, I gain weight so fast. I've even gained weight doing cardio a few times a week and eating (what I thought) was normal for me. The only way I've ever been able to loose weight is by increasing the muscle in my body. Maybe add an extra day of lifting at home? The only other suggestion I had is to look at the types of workouts you did during that period that you were working out a lot. What combination were you doing that worked for you? You might not have to spend as much time working out now as you did then,sometimes it is just a matter of figuring out the right combination for your body.
  • kultigin
    Options
    It is called "weight-loss plateau" and it is common. You can find more info here http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss-plateau/MY01152

I had been there. Faster you go down, faster you will come back up. You need to change your eating habits for good in order to keep it stable over the long run. I went to metabolic endocrinologist and everything was normal, I was lazy and I underestimated my snacks :-)
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I just bought women's ultra mega active vitamin packs from GNC (with cla) I started taking them on Friday. I went to gym on Friday night and again on Saturday. I did the exact same workouts on both days and noticed a 120 calorie higher burn on second day with two doses of vitamins in me. Not sure if that is what is making a difference or not since I only have two days reference but am going to track it for the next 4 weeks and see how it goes...
  • cantjustcant
    cantjustcant Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    ok I trolled your food diary!!!!

SODIUM!!!! You know it too!!! Not just that but if you go over one day you should bump up water intake the next!!!
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    ok I trolled your food diary!!!!

SODIUM!!!! You know it too!!! Not just that but if you go over one day you should bump up water intake the next!!!

I know! It's been so bad lately! (or all of the time and I think it's ok) :( The last week everyone keeps taking me out to Mexican food. :(

Thanks ya'll for the advice, I appreciate it!
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea, which is supposed to help speed up your metabolism. I feel like it actually has in the past week or so. It has all sorts of other health benefits too.
  • californiansun
    Options
    I've been drinking green tea, which is supposed to help speed up your metabolism. I feel like it actually has in the past week or so. It has all sorts of other health benefits too.

I have been doing that too, lots of green and white tea! Yum!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have been listening to podcasts by fit2fat radio and someone had a similar situation as yours and they recommended eating at maintenance for a month or so and then decreasing your calories by a couple hundred and they really push weight training . Go to their website!
  • californiansun
    Options
    I have been listening to podcasts by fit2fat radio and someone had a similar situation as yours and they recommended eating at maintenance for a month or so and then decreasing your calories by a couple hundred and they really push weight training . Go to their website!

I love that website! Thanks! :)
  • bea10989
    Options
    it won't come off!!!! i've been trying to lose for years! is it my metabolism...? i'm 22years-old 140 lbs 5'3.
    i try to eat 1200-1400 cals a day. i run, bike, jump rope, and lift 4-5 times a week and i'm the same weight.
    what is wrong with me!?
  • m3g4nskyl3r
    Options
    Plz plz plz if you find a way help me as well.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Green tea definitely helps. Also make sure you're getting proper sleep!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    it won't come off!!!! i've been trying to lose for years! is it my metabolism...? i'm 22years-old 140 lbs 5'3.
    i try to eat 1200-1400 cals a day. i run, bike, jump rope, and lift 4-5 times a week and i'm the same weight.
    what is wrong with me!?

Eat more!!!!!!
  • warpet
    Options
    I have a slow metabolism. It's thyroid hell and it sucks. I maintained my levels until my hysterectomy in october and BAM.....12 lbs. I just went to the endo she's adding a t3 supplement to my regular thyroid meds. I'm hoping this helps because ever since that hysterectomy it's been very difficult to lose weight. I'm 38 and was told it's harder to lose because I'm "older". I've seen people in their 50's who have no problem but at 38 I'm old?!?

Have your thyroid checked. The thryoid controls your metabolism and if it's truly slow.....then your thyroid is jacked up.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with me!?

Try one day out of each week upping your calories about 200 or 300. That way your body doesn't get used to the same amount every week. People seem to have more success when they have a splurge day once a week.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    By the way, losing 28lbs is awesome! Try exercising at least 5 days a week. Make sure you eat Plenty of protein, and plenty of veggies. And drink your water! Since you exercise at home I can give you some links to some good at home challenges you can do.
    http://www.hundredpushups.com/week1.html

http://www.onefiftydips.com/week1.html

http://www.twohundredsitups.com/week1.html

http://twohundredsquats.com/index.html

These are awesome! I am currently doing them now.

Add me as friend if you'd like. I am originally from California by the way. Napa. I now live in Mississippi.