Things people who are trying to lose weight say that bother

Options
A friend on my fiancee's FB was complaining that she just can't lose weight and keeps gaining it back from the fad diets she keeps trying. A few people in the comments posted and said 'just eat right and exercise and it will stay off'. Her response was..

"..screw you all who said eat right and workout, if it were that simple wed all be healthy fit beautiful models."

I understand that people have to be ready to lose weight, but really? I guess it's hard for me to understand how people just expect the weight to come off magically and stay off while you're still eating junk.

Replies

• Phoenyx0189
    Options
    Sound's like my mom. She's always been overweight. She now has diabetes. Always complaining about her weight, but then goes and eats total junk. What can you say to people though? Nothing I say to her makes a difference.
  • justle
    justle Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i got a friend like that, she'll moan and winge about being overweight yet she'll eat enough for 2/3 knowing its not healthy and shrugs it off yet convinved about fad diets! silly!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's so frustrating!! And it's like, you just want to help but if they don't want it, they just won't listen!
  • Phoenyx0189
    Options
    Yeah. Sometime's people need to hit their rock bottom before they can commit to changing their way of life for good.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    right there with you! it's not about fad diets and quick fixes! it's like come on people, realize that you need to make a lifestyle change and embrace it.

the one i hate the most "it's my genes. i just can't lose weight"

i'll give it to you, some people have a harder time than others (me included) but that doesn't make it impossible, it just means you have to find what works for you and stick to it.

good luck to everyone out there!
  • jocember
    jocember Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I agree, that is frustrating! I've had a few friends/acquaintances flat-out REFUSE to believe me when I tell them all I've done to lose weight is eat right and exercise. One person called me selfish for holding out my secret on her. lol!
  • Kristina0202
    Kristina0202 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My best friend wants to lose weight, but then she goes to Waffle House at 2am and gets mad at me for only getting a water.
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    People want to be thinner. They don't want to actually have to lose weight. They are looking for the lottery ticket.
  • marykeblom
    Options
    You can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink, sadly people want excuses for being overweight so that they do not have to take responsibility for their own bodies. Usually those people are emotionally stunted, they aren't seeing what's really happening to their bodies and what they are doing to it.

Rather pity them. It's terrible to live a life of lies like that and sadly it's up to them to wake up.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Someone I know flat out refuses to acknowledge the existence of calories...
  • CaptainMFP
    CaptainMFP Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like I'm defending your friend, but I'm sympathetic to the response in this sense: assuming you have a normal physiology, there is truth that controlling caloric intake will lead to weight loss; but IMPLEMENTING these changes is far harder than many people (particularly in MFP) seem willing to acknowledge. Real and successful weight loss requires major behavioral change, the implementation of which is never easy. I've always found it platitudinous to wave the "eat less and exercise more" banner without simultaneously discussing and acknowledging the complex behavioral change that must ensue.

I suppose the short version of my point is this: people who say eat less and exercise more very frequently present this as a simple solution...which it is anything but. (Note I'm speaking as someone who's made the modifications successfully for 10 months and is approaching goal. I'm not defending excuse-making; I'm pointing out how difficult this really is.)
  • neff_burgz91
    Options
    You can lead a horse to the water but you cannot make it drink, sadly people want excuses for being overweight so that they do not have to take responsibility for their own bodies. Usually those people are emotionally stunted, they aren't seeing what's really happening to their bodies and what they are doing to it.

Rather pity them. It's terrible to live a life of lies like that and sadly it's up to them to wake up.

Although its taken me 2 years to admit it.. I was just like this until about 5months ago! I had to really hit the bottom before I would admit it to even myself, that what I was doing wrong! I'd eat take-aways and chocolate.. and think that as long as I didn't eat bad stuff the next day, that it wouldn't matter, but then i'd do the same the day after! It's mad to think about what I used to eat, and my feelings towards it, yet all the time I was getting more and more depressed about what I looked like! One day it just hit me, and now i feel so much fitter and healthier! And even managed to lose 5lbs this week through "Eat less, Excersise more!"
    I only have MFP and all the fab people who use it to thank! :)
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Not to sound like I'm defending your friend, but I'm sympathetic to the response in this sense: assuming you have a normal physiology, there is truth that controlling caloric intake will lead to weight loss; but IMPLEMENTING these changes is far harder than many people (particularly in MFP) seem willing to acknowledge. Real and successful weight loss requires major behavioral change, the implementation of which is never easy. I've always found it platitudinous to wave the "eat less and exercise more" banner without simultaneously discussing and acknowledging the complex behavioral change that must ensue.

I suppose the short version of my point is this: people who say eat less and exercise more very frequently present this as a simple solution...which it is anything but. (Note I'm speaking as someone who's made the modifications successfully for 10 months and is approaching goal. I'm not defending excuse-making; I'm pointing out how difficult this really is.)
    You act like we're planning a trip to the outer reaches of the solar system.

Coming from someone who use to weigh 300 plus pounds, and who has kept the weight off for 4 years. I believe I have first hand account on how "hard" it is.

Here are the facts:
    1. People don't want to change their habits - They want to continue to do what they are doing, yet they want the ultimate body.
    2. Unrealistic weight loss expectations - I blame all the fad diets and marketing scams on this one. Weight loss has and never will be linear.
    3. Ridiculous information floating around the web and via the word of mouth - We encounter enough BS in our lives, now we have to deal with fitness BS. For example, eating multiple meals a day (BS), not eating carbs after 6pm (BS). It's especially worse for women trying to sort through the nonsense.
  • Troy67
    Troy67 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I guarantee none of the magic pills, creams, supplements, etc work worth a crap. lol I have been overweight since 11 or 12 and tried it all to no avail. I weighed 336 pounds in September 2005. I finally changed my entire lifestyle and am now maintaining at 171. I now appreciate all the hard work it takes and do not want to gain weight and ever have to do that work again.
    I have friends on FB that do the same thing. Every time I turn around they are spouting off about some new weight loss tea that burns 700 calories just by drinking a cup, or a juice or something that burns fat off with no exercise, dieting needed. And they always jump right in and try to sell the crap to their friends. The thing is, every time I see a picture of them they are bigger than the last time I saw them. I want to say somethinhg, but figure they will just get mad at me. I suppose they will have to have an epiphany like I did and do the right thing for themselves when they are ready to see it for what it is.
    It too 30 years of thinking like that for me to realize that I can eat several times a day, never be hungry and lose weight. I kind of like that and do not plan on changing back to the old ways. lol
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    A friend on my fiancee's FB was complaining that she just can't lose weight and keeps gaining it back from the fad diets she keeps trying. A few people in the comments posted and said 'just eat right and exercise and it will stay off'. Her response was..

"..screw you all who said eat right and workout, if it were that simple wed all be healthy fit beautiful models."

Yeah, because it's just SO EASY for the rest of us! It's hard work for all of us!
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    eating multiple meals a day is not bs it helps you fight hunger
  • Thunderrose1
    Options
    Not that I am into conspiracies but I truly believe that many of the "junk foods" that people eat are modified in a way to be more addictive. I do believe that the less processed food is the better it is for you. That said I have to be very careful when donuts are around because I just can't resist them. Isn't that just dumb! Why should it be hard not to eat something??? Oh well.
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Sounds like my gfs family. They all want to lose weight, but fall off the wagon, wont record their calories, wont exercise, etc.
  • thea724
    Options
    Hey You! ~thinking of getting healthy?...
    Try these tips:

#1) you have to be fed up....(sick n tired of being sick n tired)
    #2) you have to do it for yourself
    #3) you have to make a plan and stick to it
    #4) start with baby steps if you have to ....
    #5) take it one day at a time
    #6) mix it up ( your diet and your exercise )- so you don't get bored
    #7) have accountability partners (MFP!!!)
    #8) set short term and long term goals
    #9) make Yourself, Your Life, Your Health, a Priority

Well Done You!!!
    :heart:
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    eating multiple meals a day is not bs it helps you fight hunger
    Sure it does....