Camping is awesome

Options
2»

Replies

• KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I really like camping... love being outdoors and going on hikes. Love sleeping in the tent (airmattress helps!).
    You can cook anything when you bring the right tools.

That's car camping though.... not a huge fan of backpacking. I do it - because the husband loves it - but carrying all that
    crap on my back up a mountain and then not being able to shower unless I go in a freezing lake w/bio soap is not so fun!
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I went once.....all we did was drink. Don't remember much but it was a good time. Now I know why people in the 1600's were alcoholics. Without technology or light bulbs what else is there to do but drink and fornicate LMAO
  • kb455
    kb455 Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I LOVE camping. We have a small camper. No tent camping for me. I can't wait for summer... nothing beats sitting and drinking around a campfire with a bunch of friends.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    We have a 20' pop up tent camper and love to camp here in the Black Hills. Problem is, my daughter is 15 and wants to start working this summer. Son turns 15 next summer and he'll want the same. Teens aren't real big on camping with their folks so i think our family camping days are winding down. Guess we'll have to concentrate on water skiing and wakeboarding.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I love love love to hike for hours and hours, but I am not a huge fan of sleeping outside.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    LOVE camping. We go tent camping every year. Used to go a few times a year but work schedules and vacations got in the way. Nothing more relaxing to me than sitting around a campfire and listening to the crickets chirp. We hike, my friend plays guitar, sometimes we goof around any play hide 'n seek in the woods.
    My husband keeping talking about wanting to go winter or fall camping. I'm ont he fence about that one because I am always so cold! But wow do I wish it was warm enough to go camping right now....*sigh*
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    When I camp it is usually backpacking so I have to be very thoughtful about the food. We end up eating mostly freeze dried meals and trail mix, etc. There is always room in the pack for a flask and a bottle of wine. I can't wait for camping season! Only problem is my camping buddy and I broke up. I guess its time to buy the one person coffin/tent. The one thing I don't like about backpacking is that you cant bring the cooler of beer.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I like hobo packets - pile veggies, a squirt of olive oil and lemon, S&P on a square of tin foil. Fold up the edges tight, put it in the fire! Enjoy a little later with some state park toilet water hooch.
  • tiptoeketo
    tiptoeketo Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    We love to camp.

Our new discovery last year was roasting the fresh corn right above the red coals ( with the husks on) and letting them roast for about an hour. Delicious and worth the wait!

Hobo Packets are good too- lean ground beef, potatoes & veggies, and some taco seasoning in a foil packet. Let sit on the fire for about an hour.
  • velloxal
    velloxal Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    We used to camp every year :bigsmile: mostly Caravan Parks or tent. But now our kids are old and it's a miracle when they want to do stuff with us.

I miss my camping adventure :sad:
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I love camping. DH and I started camping as poverty stricken newly weds--44 yrs ago. We still enjoy it. My best "accidental" camping recipe...At the end of the trip we had some thawed broccoli, a bit of left over smoked gouda cheese, part of a small can of evaporated milk we had used in the coffee and a little white wine. It worked great. Of course I think the freezing cold drizzle added greatly to the enjoyment of the hot soup. :drinker:
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I like hobo packets - pile veggies, a squirt of olive oil and lemon, S&P on a square of tin foil. Fold up the edges tight, put it in the fire! Enjoy a little later with some state park toilet water hooch.

Ok, I'm afraid to ask - what is "state park toilet water hooch?"
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal while camping is catching a Rainbow trout in a Colorado river and then cooking it with lemon and butter over an open fire. Nothing tastes better or feels more satisfying than that meal.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    love to camp, you dont have to invent new food just cook like you do at home...
  • R_is_for_Rachel
    R_is_for_Rachel Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    i'm a massive fan of camping but it has to be a simple quiet campsite. I love the peace and fresh air of camping. There's a campsite i go to in Wales that is just a field with a basic toilet block. But it's surrounded by trees, right in the middle of nowhere and has a stream running alongside it -it's literally a piece of heaven!
    admittedly i do have to have an inflatable bed and a good sleeping bag -apart from that i'm happy!