Do you..

Options
I have a question for you all. It might be a weird one, but someone out there should know, right? :D Ok.. here we go..
Is it better to work out in the morning, afternoon or night?
As far as calorie burning..if you work out at night, do you burn more while you sleep compared to if you workout in the morning or afternoon?? Or does it really matter?
See..weird question..
Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• applepie
    applepie Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have a question for you all. It might be a weird one, but someone out there should know, right? :D Ok.. here we go..
    Is it better to work out in the morning, afternoon or night?
    As far as calorie burning..if you work out at night, do you burn more while you sleep compared to if you workout in the morning or afternoon?? Or does it really matter?
    See..weird question..
    Any thoughts on this?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's best to work out whenever is convenient for you.
    You won't have such low glycogen levels from sleeping one night that you'll only burn fat the next morning. You will still use both fat and carbohydrate for energy.
    Your body won't start 'repairs' until about 24 hours AFTER your last workout. So again, it doesn't really matter when you work out.:smile:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's "better" calorie burning wise to work out in the morning or night. For me, it's not a question of better - it's a question of "will I" or "won't I". I know that working out in the morning works for me. It's my "me" time before anyone else has the opportunity to ask me to do anything else. It's when I have the most energy and working out in the morning gives me more energy for my day. I'm a nicer person when I exercise in the morning.

I've tried exercising in the evening and what I've found is that it felt like drudgery and it took me forever to go to sleep.

That's just my experience though.
  • applepie
    Options
    Wow, you are quick to reply! Thanks! :D I appreciate your thoughts. I'm currently a 'workout when I can' person which usually is around mid morning. Just wasn't sure if there was a better time of the day or not to workout. Thanks again. :D
  • Thinspired
    Options
    Actually I think it's supose to be better to work out in the morning.
    That is what my dad has been doing for years. He'll be 61 this Thursday and he really swears by it :smile:
    When i was in college i use to get up at 5 a.m to go running before i had class.
    it always woke me up, made me feel ready for the day to begin.

The reason it is not as good to work out at night is because it wakes you up, gives you energy, and if you do it too late, you'll have a harder time getting to sleep at night, and also feel more groggy when you ake up in the morning. :yawn:

So yeah, im sure you can do it whenever, but thats just what i know lol. Goodlucks 2 you hun! :wink:

184018.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary
  • saerah12
    saerah12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I always heard that it is better to work out in the morning. I am not a morning person...I workout during the day or at night. The couple of times that I have gotten up early enough to work out the only extra benefits I have gotten were; getting it out of the way, and not having to get ready (make-up, shower, etc) then wash face and exercise and get ready again!!! If I were more of a morning person I would def. workout in the morning, but I am still losing weight working out at night!
  • applepie
    Options
    again..thank you all! :D
  • becbec71
    becbec71 Posts: 136
    Options
    I have no choice but to go after work. And I find that routine works best for me. I am more apt to go during the week after work. Like today I amsitting here knowing I need to go to day but kids are already up and that will make it hard to go and do it. I am going to go get a dvd to have here at home for days like theese though so Iw ill have no excuse but to do it 7 days a week.
  • 3boyzmom
    3boyzmom Posts: 18
    Options
    If I dont exercise in the morning before my kids get up I dont get a chance.
  • kelli_panzera
    Options
    Yep, if I don't get to the gym before the kids start in on me, I may not make it. I work a second and third shift job and my gym opens at 5am, so there are no excuses. I'm up and i have to pass it on my way home anyways. Also for me at 5 or 6 in the morning there aren't too many people there so getting to a machine isn't very difficult. I wear myself out, come and get the kids ready and off to school, then its bedtime! I always feel great the rest of the day.
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter when I work out. I feel the same as I do in the morning, afternoon, or evening. I have no trouble falling asleep at night if I happen to work out at night so that myth doesn't really fly for me. :) I'm so exhausted by the time I'm done I'm ready to crawl into bed to pass out!!!
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I rather work out in the mornings.