Suggestions for strength training

Options
I have been doing cardio 5-6 times per week, and would like to add strength training. Any suggestions on a good program for beginners using handheld weights? I am 49, current weight 158, goal 135. All suggestions appreciated!

Replies

• Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I just started upper body strength training (I do stuff in "layers." In a couple of weeks I will add lower body strength training). Anyway, I started with three sets of 12 3.5 weights. I recently increased the reps to 15, but didn't change the weights. I will increase the reps to 20 before upping the weight to 5lbs.

I have a very old publication by Joan Weidner (who is also 4'11"). It will take me some time to find the title and I will post it. In the meantime, I'm sure others have suggestions.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has some great strength training programs, including those for beginners. You might want to check it out...
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Will you be lifting at the gym or at home?

If the gym, I recommend the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" by Lou Schuler. There is a group of women who are following this program and they're wonderful for support! You're welcome to join if you like.

Another good book is "Body for Life" by Bill Philips.

If at home, good websites include www.bodybuilding.com. You can get customized workouts based on your goals.

This one is designed to use dumbbells only:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/frankoman-dumbbell-only-split.html
  • kdfulgham
    kdfulgham Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions. I work out at home, and would like to start my weight training with dumb bells. I will definately check out the resources you recommended. Thank you!
  • kdfulgham
    Options
    Thanks! I will check out the website. Appreciate your input!
  • kdfulgham
    Options
    Thank you, I too have to start out in "layers". I have been doing cardio for a little over 6 weeks, and this is why I now want to add weight training. Good luck on your journey.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I'll add my vote for bodybuilding.com and New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I just started upper body strength training (I do stuff in "layers." In a couple of weeks I will add lower body strength training). Anyway, I started with three sets of 12 3.5 weights. I recently increased the reps to 15, but didn't change the weights. I will increase the reps to 20 before upping the weight to 5lbs.

I have a very old publication by Joan Weidner (who is also 4'11"). It will take me some time to find the title and I will post it. In the meantime, I'm sure others have suggestions.

Ahh, her name is Joyce Vedral, "Fat Burning Workout: Fat to Fit . .. "
    As I said before, she is a petite woman and I think she is must be well into her sixties. She is BUILT; and quite fit.
  • kdfulgham
    Options
    Thanks so much! I will be 50 next year, and want to be 50 and FIT!