VDay options for our kids that are healthy?!

A friend of mine on here just posted about going a little wild on the candy and it was mentioned that it tends to happen over the holidays. I was sitting here thinking that I am supposed to be sending the kids to school with Valentines and candy tomorrow, and now I am pretty worried. I got to thinking that maybe I could find a healthier treat to send with them in place of candy, after all this is a lifestyle change, and I want my kids to make the right choices too. I would like to send them with something really delicious, that all the other kids will like, so they can see that the healthier option is just as good or better than the candy! Any ideas?!

p.s. Whatever it is can not be made at home, which is where I am finding difficulty. It has to be individually packaged and fairly inexpensive because with 3 boys I need enough for around 70 kids total.

Replies

• Hmm is it for a V Day party or just to put with their cards. They make lots of cute tattoos and stickers to send in with the cards. I think that my kids love those as much as the candy! For a Valentine's day party, a pre-packaged fruit and fruit dip tray is actually really popular with kids.
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Thats hard! Not so bad if it could be homemade, but as for pre packaged individual store bought treats, I have no idea, You can buy bags of apple slices, but it would cost a ton after 70 kids. Boxes of raisins?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    We usually do non-candy stuff like tattoos, stickers, or magnets. For my daughter this year though, we made heart shaped crayons for the kids: http://www.flickr.com/photos/61951289@N08/5672821563/sizes/l/in/photostream/
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Every year I host an Easter egg hunt, the trick is to not fill all the eggs with candy, SO I go to the dollar store, anything red, heart, pink, sparlky:

Pencils (pretty ones usually come in packs of 5 or 10)
    erasers
    stickers 910 -20 sheets per pack)
    bouncy balls
    colouring books
    craft kits
    story books
    temporary tattoos
    silly bandz
    party favors (bubbles, rings, bracelets, hand stamps, spinning tops, kazoos)
    balloons
    kalidascopes

I noticed that Walmart had a big valentine section with valentines themed party supplies, I picked up a bunch that were cute but not valentine spcific for Easter

good luck.
  • i saw valentines this year with gel cling ons..Thought they were really cool,
  • Karmynzahringer
    Karmynzahringer Posts: 192 Member
    Yeah for some reason I never thought of "non food" items! I will definitely steer that direction I suppose! I thought of doing packs of apples or maybe some other type of food (raisins was a good idea) but as stated above with 3 kids in school and having to buy for 70 children, that would get expensive fast! I will have to see what wal mart has!