Weight Loss Stall .. once I started exercising! Normal?

So, I had my baby girl December 17. I only gained 20 pounds during my pregnancy and those pounds easily came off with the first couple of weeks. I started myfitnesspal January 1st, 2012. I didn't want to start exercising until my 6 week post-partum check-up to get the go ahead from my doctor. From the time that I had my baby to my post-partum check up, I had lost a total of 35 pounds (so am now 15 pounds less than my pre-pregnancy weight).

Well, January 28th, I got the go-ahead to start an exercise routine. I went to the gym for the first time in almost a year January 30th. Well, it is now February 13th and I have not lost a SINGLE pound since I started exercising.

Just a few points to mention - I have over 100 pounds that I want to lose, so I feel at this point, the weight should be coming off easily. Secondly - I track EVERY bite of food that I eat and every bit of exercise. I generally eat anywhere from 1250 - 1600 calories a day. MFP has me set up on a 1310 calorie/day diet, plus any exercise I do. I generally burn anywhere from 600 to 800 calories (or more) and spend at least 1 to 2 hours in the gym a day, with one off day/week. I KNOW I am creating a calorie deficit.

As far as exercise - I do the elliptical or arc trainer every day for 45 to 60 minutes. Then I do Group Fitness classes (on top of that) several times a week - including Group Kick or Group Power (for my strength training). I work HARD and leave the gym red and sweating like crazy. I have always been an all or nothing person, so if I am going to doing something, I am going to work at it as hard as I can.

I was just checking for motivation - is this normal to not lose weight in the few couple weeks of starting an exercise routine? Is there something I can do/change in my exercise route to accelerate my weight loss? Every morning that I step on the scale, I want to just give up because I know how hard I am working and am not seeing results.

Replies

• Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Are you eating back the exercise calories?
  • palmerig88
    palmerig88 Posts: 623 Member
    I guess...take the diet they give you, add exercise so pretend you are 'allowed' 1310 plus 600 so 1900. If you eat 1400, you are supposed to lose a pound per week. If the 1310 already includes a 500 calorie deficit, you would in theory lose 2 pounds per week. I say don't eat such a wide range actually strive to eat about the exact calories you decide on consistently and see if you are fueling your body and making it more efficient. Because sometimes people don't lose weight because they are not eating enough. If you ate 1250 and burned all that at the gym, when they said you could have 1310 with no exercise, I think your body reacts differently than you want it to.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    It is not unusual for water weight to mask fat loss for as long as a month. If you lost 1 lb per week, you could see no results for 4 weeks, and then suddenly you lose 4 lbs overnight.

There is no need to change anything at this point. However I would pay more attention to your calorie counting and calculations of your burned exercise calories to make sure your numbers are right.
  • viclee1
    viclee1 Posts: 156 Member
    I was going to ask how your water intake is? Are you breastfeeding? that could make a difference as far as "starvation mode". ANyways I just wanted to say stick with it, you're doing the right things so eventually it'll pay off :) Congrats on the baby girl! Add me if you want as a friend :)