Is my calorie limit too low?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    First, use MFP "tools" tab to find your BMR. You shouldn't be eating less than your BMR as this is the number of calories your body needs just to function even if you laid in bed all day or if you were in a coma.

Next, double check all of your settings. Do NOT include dedicated exercise in your activity/lifestyle setting.

Log your workouts in MFP's "exercise" tab. Eat back all or most of your extra earned calories. Note: if you're relying on MFP's default database to figure your calories burned, remember this is a very rough estimate and it could be overstating your burn.

Are you using a digital food scale to measure EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth? Most people drastically underestimate food portions. Are you logging all beverages? Are you logging everything used to cook with (butter, oils, marinades, etc.)?

Good luck and stick with it!

Wow.....my BMR was like 1921 (Like Sabrinany posted). I've been eating 1400 a day. =/

Are digital food scales super expensive?
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    First, use MFP "tools" tab to find your BMR. You shouldn't be eating less than your BMR as this is the number of calories your body needs just to function even if you laid in bed all day or if you were in a coma.

Next, double check all of your settings. Do NOT include dedicated exercise in your activity/lifestyle setting.

Log your workouts in MFP's "exercise" tab. Eat back all or most of your extra earned calories. Note: if you're relying on MFP's default database to figure your calories burned, remember this is a very rough estimate and it could be overstating your burn.

Are you using a digital food scale to measure EVERYTHING that goes into your mouth? Most people drastically underestimate food portions. Are you logging all beverages? Are you logging everything used to cook with (butter, oils, marinades, etc.)?

Good luck and stick with it!

Wow.....my BMR was like 1921 (Like Sabrinany posted). I've been eating 1400 a day. =/

Are digital food scales super expensive?

I got my digital food scale from WalMart for under $20.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Bumping, so I wont lose track of this URL
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    If you haven't already, set your weight loss goal on MFP to lose ONE pound a week. Now that you've already lost 23 pounds (kudos!! by the way), your weight loss is going to naturally slow down as your body tries to reach equilibrium, and you need to adjust for that or else you are not only expecting something unrealistic, but also slowing down your metabolism in the process.

Always log your exercise and eat your exercise calories, some people will tell you not to, but in my successful experience, you should eat the calories you burn during exercise as long as you still have a 500-calorie deficit total.

Also, (and this is sort of unrelated to your question) try to vary your exercise. Zumba is a great form of exercise (and fun!) but try other things as well to keep your body guessing and constantly challenged. Consider adding High Intensity Interval Training (which you can do on a treadmill or stationary bicycle or some fitness classes do it). Also, consider adding some strength training to your weekly routine (with resistance bands or free weights). Building muscle speeds up your metabolism and allows you to burn more calories throughout the day!

Good luck and be well ;)