My HRM Is a Lie

Options
Help. I think my HRM is giving me false results. It said I burned 1098 calories from Turbo Fire Core (20 Min)+ Turbo Fire Strecth (40 mins)
That seems to good to be true. I have the New Balance HRM that just goes on your wrist, no chest strip.

Am I wrong, could this be right? (please say its right)

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    definitely wrong. I have heard the ones with the chest straps are the most reliable. I am quite happy with mine.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Does it tell you your max/avg heart rate or just a calorie burn? If your heart rate is pretty high it could be an accurate burn. My Garmin HRM (chest strap) gives me max HR, avg HR and calories burned.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    No chest strap = Phail... sorry! :sad:
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I think that sounds a little high, but I don't know how much you weigh or what sort of exertion level you were in. I tend to go with chest-strap HRMs only.

It was a sad, sad day when I realized my HRM was more accurate than MFP calculations & the treadmill/elliptical machines. Sorry to be a bearer of (potentially) bad news.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try one with a chest strap. I have polar ft60 and I think it works pretty well. Yesterday it said I burned around 550 calories running sprints on some stairs for 50min.
  • Doomfrog
    Options
    I'm doing the Turbo Fire Core 20 + Stretch today for the first time so I'll report back and see how far off you are. Mine has a chest strap.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    HRMs with chest straps are always more accurate than ones w/o one.
  • piccolarj
    piccolarj Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Sorry to break the news to you but it's likely wrong. Without a chest strap it hard for any HRM to monitor you constantly or correctly. So I would say it's way off.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    "...by the way, this cake is great, it's so delicious and moist..."
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    sounds extremely high. HRMs that don't have a chest strap are notoriously inaccurate. This burn would assume your burned 27.45 cals/min, most people burn 8-15 during exercise, so Maybe cut your burn in half. Another options is to check your average HR and plug it into the 3 sites below. If the sites are close then go with it otherwise I would use what the sites say:

http://www.gersic.com/calories/index.php?daAge=32&daRHR=52&daAHR=148&daMinutes=27&daSeconds=0&Submit=Submit&action=1

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • GreenEyedGrl86
    Options
    The cake is a lie.

Sorry, couldn't resist!!

I would say that your HRM is probably not accurate.
  • hannata86
    Options
    Yeah sounds a bit off to me. I used to have insanely hard hour long personal training sessions, and at 20 stone I didnt even hit 1k, so it does seem impossible. You don't look anywhere near that weight so I'd say getting 500-600 would be a massive achievement.

I would always suggest to anyone to invest in a good Polar monitor with the chest strap. Best piece of kit you could own.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    No chest strap = Phail... sorry! :sad:

This. I learned the hard way after getting one w/o a chest strap first. The extra money for an HRM WITH a chest strap is worth it in the end.
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    definitely wrong. I have heard the ones with the chest straps are the most reliable. I am quite happy with mine.

Just out of curiosity...what kind do you have? I am looking into buying one but there are so many brands/types that I am LOST!
  • aamon17
    aamon17 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sorry to tell you; but, your fears are correct. That's way high. You shoul dreally invest in a HRM with a CONTINUOUS chest-strap monitor. As i understand them, the wrist monitors take perioding readings & give you an average based on your pulse at the wrist. That's nowhere close to what the elctrodes will report back to the watch withe the chest-strap. Check Amazon for the Polar FT4 or FT7, between $67-$78.

Good luck.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    Chest strap is much more reliable. Close to your heart, better results. I work in a pharmacy and it's the same with blood pressure kits. The pharmacist is always telling customers that the wrist ones are garbage because it's too far away from the heart.

also, does your HRM allow you to put in your height and weight?
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Yeah, chest strap gives a more accurate calorie burn. My friend and I have a Timex w/ chest strap..it is like 42 on Amazon. We took the same class where I was doing a way higher intensity than her and because I am cardiovascularly stronger my burn was way less than hers...so I know the monitoring of heart rate is so very important for a good calorie read.
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I doubt it :embarassed:
  • CSummers316
    Options
    "...by the way, this cake is great, it's so delicious and moist..."

"... Look at me still talking when there's science to do..."
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    need one w/ a chest strip...I love mine =)