Cyclists....When/Where Do You Ride?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jipples
    Jipples Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Man, you guys, and ladies, are offering some great advice and tips.....I really appreciate it. I guess I really need to rethink the helmet thing. I also need to invest in some reflective clothing, since the majority of my riding will be in the pre-dawn hours. The roadID sounds like a good idea too.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    the helmet is a must. No questions asked.

as for the reflective clothing, you should be able to get reflective bands for your wrists and or ankles at most sporting good stores. target and walmart probably have them to, though maybe only in season.

the road Id is a great suggestion. a good alternative is to print up a small card with your info, emergency contact, etc, laminate it and stash it in your saddle bag.
  • trijoe
    trijoe Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Man, you guys/gals with road and mountain bikes.....I feel like I'm behind the curve. lol

Being new to riding as a adult (as a kid I didn't care about safety too much....have the scars to prove it), what are some tips/suggestions for riding on streets and roads. I purchased small head and tail lights for riding while dark....just hoping to help be seen.

**Helmet above all else. NEVER ride without one.
    **A rear saddle mounted bag that includes tire changing gear, copy of insurance card, copy of driver's license.
    **A Road ID. I cannot stand going for any kind of outdoor workout with it. I'd rather skip my ride/run altogether than ride/run without it.
    **Water bottles. Some food, depending on how long the ride is.
    **I don't ride at night, so I don't worry with night gear. But many people do, so there you go.
    **Good cycling gear. Cycling shorts, shoes, socks, and jersey. A good quality cycling outfit can mean the difference between a fun ride and a blistered bloody painful ride from hell. Also, some Chamois Butter to help with chaffing.

I had a road bike, but I sold it. I have a cyclocross bike, which you have to know what it is to know it's not actually a true road bike. I highly recommend a cross bike for anybody getting into cycling who has multiple cycling uses. I ride this on dirt/gravel trails, but not single track. Occasionally, I ride it on the road. I also have a triathlon bike, which I ride on roads. It's my pride and joy. But it's definitely sport specific.

I hope this helps, and I hope you're able to enjoy your time in the saddle. SUCH FUN!!!