Frustrated with no time to exercise

Options
I'm so frustrated, I only have time to exercise at home, and don't even have time to do that everyday. How does everyone find the time? My husband works crazy hours, and I work as well, Between working and commuting i'm gone about 12 hours a day. Then theres dinner to be made and a house to be cleaned and my toddler to take care of, If i do my videos when she is up she is running around me in circles, it doesn't feel like an effective workout. But I can't always get out of the house to workout because my husband often works very early morning and late into the night. Does anyone have any suggestions? I just want to give up. Help!

Replies

• rkr22401
    rkr22401 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    With my work and commute I am gone 14 hrs per day on work days. I work rotating shifts so sometimes I'm working nights, sometimes days, sometimes suffering "jet lag" as I swap between the two. I am going to graduate school which takes at least another 20 hrs per week. I have three children, including a little one.

I am 7 weeks into P90X. I workout almost every day for 60-90 minutes. Usually this means I get it done after shift, which delays my sleep, or before shift, which costs me some sleep.

You just have to make it a priority. There is sacrifice involved. I can't remember the last time I've watched TV or read a book for my own pleasure (ie not for school).

I read a quote on MFP (I think it came from a poster or bumper sticker) that said "Right now somebody busier than you is running." I'm sure it's true for all of us.

Hope this helps.
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I have to work out at night after the kids go to bed. My house doesn't get "cleaned" except on weekends. If people don't like it, don't come over! I actually like working out at night (never thought I would, always worked out in the morning before kids) because I don't mindless snack during TV shows!
    Last week I didn't work out at all (no time) but I stuck to 1200-1300 cals and still lost weight. Just do your best and eat healthy and it'll come off, slowly but surely.:flowerforyou:
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Do you have time during your lunch breaks to get in at least a small walk?

I have two jobs and on days I work both I use the 1.5 hour in-between both shifts to do a 30 min elliptical session. Its better than nothing at all. Good Luck.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I would try to do 20 or 30 minutes after the toddler goes to bed or get up 20 or 30 minutes before everybody else. You would only need to do this a couple of times a week. And then do really big workouts on the weekends, when you have more time. You could also look at doing some walking on your lunch breaks at work.

If you take public transit, take a different route that makes you walk more. If you drive. Park a fair distance away and walk.

You don't need to work out 6 or 7 days a week. And you don't need to fit in one hour workouts at a time.
  • Nuriyan
    Options
    I like your attitude, so take advantage of it! I absolutely guarantee that you have things that you do that you can replace with exercise. Just little things, like a 30 minute TV show, going to bed a little later than usual, not sleeping in as late. You can do it!
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I get my kids to bed between 7:30 and 8 then I do my workout before I start my homework or my tv shows. On nights I have a lot of homework or it took a little longer to get the kids to bed, I do Jillian Michael's 30DS and on other nights when time isn't as scarce I will do a P90X workout. On Saturdays, I get away from the house and the kids and go to a Zumba class to ramp up the workout/calorie burn. It's not easy, but I have my goals in my sight and I know what I have to do to get them. I have a post on my pinterest that says "Suck it up so eventually you won't have to suck it in!" :) I tell myself that everyday!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I like your attitude, so take advantage of it! I absolutely guarantee that you have things that you do that you can replace with exercise. Just little things, like a 30 minute TV show, going to bed a little later than usual, not sleeping in as late. You can do it!

Speaking of 30 minute TV shows. This time can also be used for exercise. Invest in an inexpensive trampoline & "jog" on it during the evening news ($30 at Walmart). OR use commercial breaks for the "deck of cards" workout. It goes like this: hearts = cardio, diamonds = upper, spades = abs, clubs = lower. Draw the 10 of hearts ..... do 10 jumping jacks. Draw the 8 of clubs ..... do 8 squats.
  • janegalt37
    janegalt37 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred might be perfect for you. I use a pair of 3#, 5# and 7# weights and a mat. 27 minutes is all it takes, and after 5 sessions over 9 days, my results are amazing. You don't have to do it every day, and if you do some of the strength moves to failure with heavier weights, you will certainly want a rest day in between.
    Good luck!
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain... I'm gone 11 hours a day... I try to fit in AT least walking on my breaks and during lunch... I do a lot of my working out during my work day. I have converted my desk workstation into a standup work station and when I do need to sit down, I sit on a stability ball. That way, if I am too tired/overwhelmed/busy/whatever by the time I get home at 6 pm, I don't have to worry about it. I also have a new little one, and I don't want to waste a lot of time that could be spent with them... so sometimes I fit in another 20-30 minutes after she goes to bed (which then gives me energy to do some cleaning around the house).
  • ummommyme
    ummommyme Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    You do not need a lot of time. Look up interval training, HIIT on google, i like bodyrock. They are short very effective workouts that are done at high intensity. I am only doing it 2-3x a week and feel strong. I do lots of modified versions and hope to work up to the regular or advanced. I need to lose 50-60lbs so this is hard work but it is easy to fit in for someone with limited time like yourself. It's supposed to be much more effective than long steady state cardio and in much shorter amount of time.
  • AndiJ2011
    AndiJ2011 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When I first joined MFP I felt like a failure because I was into these hardcore workouts. lol.. I don't have time for it. I have two kids, husband, career, my son is in two sports, he has homework, I also moonlight doing CPA work part-time. I was waking up at 4:45am doing the 30 day shred. Staying up super late lifting 3 nights a week and doing extra cardio here & there. I was seeing results but I was stressed.

I know how to lose weight. I've done it after my first pregnancy. I excercise when I can (3 nights a week usually) and not for hours and hours & I eat sensibly & I am still losing. I am losing weight at a fast pace & I am not starving. I just had to do it on my own terms.
  • dmarie1107
    dmarie1107 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the great suggestions, I am doing the 30ds now and liking it, I've also gotten a couple more videos. I just wish I had more time for it!! I won't like it, but maybe i'll have to drag my butt out of bed at 4:30 to workout! I'm sure i'll get used to it! I just want to see results!!!
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It's a very busy and stressful season of your life right now. Don't get too stressed about it. Do that best you can do, and be content with that. Give yourself permission to not be a maniac about your fitness right now. Watch what you eat, exercise when you can. Best of luck!