Workout shoes? Which ones?

Options

Replies

• Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I wear Adidas adistar (adiprene). I was fitted for them and they are fabulous shoes. They meet the arch of my foot perfectly. I was struggling with injuries and a lot of soreness. Asics and Nike caused me a lot of pain. I suggest you go to the store and have them properly fit you, you won't regret it.
  • mjohn54
    Options
    I have tried most and swear by Saucony. They have great support, especially in the arches and heels and are lightweight.
  • mjbrowne
    mjbrowne Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Depends on which kind of arch you have. I am flat footed. I have mild scoliosis of the lower spine due to my hip sockets being uneven,so have back, knee, and ankle problems from time to time.
    I am a "wanna be" runner (which means I mostly walk and jog a little). I also do workout DVDs, Wii Fit, and Xbox Kinect, and classes / elliptical at gym. I LOVE my Asics GT-2160. Bought another pair this year. I also have some New Balances I wear for daily use (on my feet quite a bit). I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my Saucony's!!! Agree with others-don't rule out running shoes since you're not a runner. It's more about your foot type and the level of support you need. Good luck!

PS-I first did internet research (prevention magazine's site has several great articles) to narrow down my choice. Then, went and tried on several kinds. Then, ordered online (amazon) to save some $. Also..most sites have free shipping on returns.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    The reebok easy tone have this bubble on the bottom (I don't know how else to explain it) when you do high impact stuff the bubble does not keep your feet stable enough. They are fine for walking the dog, stuff like that, but if you like to get sweaty they aren't very good. I find my foot slipping in the shoe. They also run small so if you by chance do get them order half a size up. Like I said not bad for walking but not for Zumba, kickboxing or high impact stuff.
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I wear Nike Free's and I love them! They are so light and it doesn't feel like I'm lifting weights when I run. I wear a pair of Nike dance shoes though when I do P90X or any of my videos just because its a tighter fitting shoe for me and I tore all the tendons/ligaments in my ankle last summer so the tight support keeps the pain at bay while I work out.
  • thea0101
    thea0101 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ECCO Women's Receptor RXP 3040

This pair is a few years old and never got used before for its real purpose. Now I feel like I am finally fulfilling its potential. :laugh:
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Do you have any running shoe stores/fitness stores close to you?? I found one about 30-40 minutes away and there they put me on a machine that showed my shoe size, and where my feet laid heavier than other parts of my foot (my feet rests heavier on the ball of my foot/and has a somewhat high arch.) They also watched the way I walked, and put me in a pair of shoes they thought would help with my particular issues. They put me in a Brooks brand tennis shoe, and ever since, it feels like clouds on my feet! I used to have really bad knee pain when doing any sort of exercise, and even though I've only worn the shoes a couple of times...I can tell a huge difference!!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    New Balance and Vibram Trail shoes. Love em. They take awhile for your feet to get used to them though.

http://www.amazon.com/New-Balance-MT20-Minimus-Orange/dp/B004KZP4JS/ref=sr_1_45?ie=UTF8&qid=1329153859&sr=8-45
  • harleenarang
    harleenarang Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sketchers Shape Ups anyday. They are so so so so comfortable and give you that extra support. You can wear it all day or just for workouts. They are simply superb :)
  • fatboy235
    fatboy235 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I like the Asics GT- 2160
  • EPICUREASIAN
    EPICUREASIAN Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I recently got my Skechers Resistors. I enjoy the height, support and the super-thick cushion; however, I would not classify them as light-weight. They do have the rocker/wedge bottom which took me a couple of weeks to get used, but now I don't notice it any more. I have read that these shoes are not recommended "race-day" shoes; which makes it perfectly fine for training and workouts. Yes, these are part of the Shapeups line, but I don't put any stock in them burning more calories than other shoes.

My last pair of shoes were a pair Saucony running shoes, which really had no cushion for workouts. Had I the funds though, I would invest in a pair of Asics.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I've gotten so used to wear Vibram Five Fingers shoes that whenever I wear anything else to workout I feel I'm wearing blocks instead of shoes.

By the way, because the Vibram are almost like being barefoot, it forces you to use more the "ball" or front part of your feet and not the heel. This of course is to avoid shocking your joints and as a result your calves will get super strong.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I currently have the Mizuno Wave Rider 15's & I looooooove them!

I'm also a huge fan of Asics.
  • SafireBleu
    SafireBleu Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Also I do a lot of the same kinds of exercises and while a running shoe is great for high impact stuff Zumba and stuff like Turbo Jam/Fire have a lot of moves with quick changing positions of the foot. Running shoes usually have some traction on the bottom with lots of grooves and stuff. These kinds of shoes are killer on your knees. Your best bet is going into a store and looking at the shoes. Check the soles and try to get something that is smooth and makes for easier transition for the quick footed movements.
  • SomeMorr
    SomeMorr Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I got Nike Dual Fusion ST2 running shoes (although I am not really a runner). They are great for all the workouts I do and are super light on my feet.
  • destiny364us
    destiny364us Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Asics
  • ClaytonRosa
    Options
    I use Nike Free shoes. They are lightweight and comfortable but still provide cushion and support without being too much. I do a lot of running but find these shoes to be pretty good for just working out. In terms of lightweight sneakers, these are my preferred shoes.
  • happilyeveractive
    happilyeveractive Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I swear by all my New Balance. Any kind. They are the best :)
  • inetgirl
    inetgirl Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Sketchers Shape Ups anyday. They are so so so so comfortable and give you that extra support. You can wear it all day or just for workouts. They are simply superb :)

This^^
  • ewfielder
    Options
    Definitely get fitted! I've only worn Asics for years, and just this weekend bought a pair of Saucony's. Love them both! But now I shop only by fit - forget the style. I buy whatever feels good; gray, white, black, pink highlights... whatever!