Food Rules: How do they apply to your life?

Options
Onesnap
Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
For those of you that have read the book 'Food Rules' by Michael Pollan, this is a good refresher. For those of you that have heard of the book, but never read it, here's the whole list below. I just found it online today and it's a great reminder. Pollan is very controversial in the food world/ dieting world but I will say he brings a lot of good research and examples to the table.

Check out the list. Which ones speak to you directly?

In general I like to avoid foods that pretend they are something they are NOT. The concept of eating food cooked by humans is a big one for me as well. Food not cooked by a robot is good. :)

I see a lot of people supporting diet foods and foods that come in a box here on MFP. Most say it helps them resist cravings and overdo it. I don't agree with eating foods that are highly processed and filled with chemicals made in a lab. Did you know even 0 calorie Truvia (created by the soda industry) is made using 40 chemical compounds? 40. The FDA does not require that they list them on the label. If something comes from a plant and is natural how does it have 0 calories? In the case of Truvia, it's the 40 chemical compounds.

Here's the list. I'd love to hear your feedback.

RULES:

In the post below, someone requested the list of rules from the book. Here they are:

1. Eat food

2. Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food

3. Avoid food products containing ingredients that no ordinary human would keep in the pantry

4. Avoid food products that contain high-fructose corn syrup

5. Avoid food products that have some form of sugar (or sweetener listed among) the top three ingredients

6. Avoid food products that have more than 5 ingredients

7. Avoid food products containing ingredients that a third-grader cannot pronounce

8. Avoid food products that make health claims

9. Avoid food products with the wordoid “lite” or the terms “low fat” or “nonfat” in their names

10. Avoid foods that are pretending to be something they are not

11. Avoid foods you see advertised on television

12. Shop the peripheries of the supermarket and stay out of the middle

13. Eat only foods that will eventually rot

14. Eat foods made from ingredients that you can picture in their raw state or growing in nature

15. Get out of the supermarket whenever you can

16. Buy your snacks at the farmers market

17. Eat only foods that have been cooked by humans

18. Don’t ingest foods made in places where everyone is required to wear a surgical cap

19. If it came from a plant, eat it; if it was made in a plant, don’t.

20. It’s not food if it arrived through the window of your car

21. It’s not food if it’s called by the same name in every language (Think Big Mac, Cheetos or Pringles)

22. Eat mostly plants, especially leaves

23. Treat meat as a flavoring or special occasion food

24. Eating what stands on one leg [mushrooms and plant foods] is better than eating what stands on two legs [fowl], which is better than eating what stands on four legs [cows, pigs and other mammals].

25. Eat your colors

26. Drink the spinach water

27. Eat animals that have themselves eaten well

28. If you have space, buy a freezer

29. Eat like an omnivore

30. Eat well-grown food from healthy soil

31. Eat wild foods when you can

32. Don’t overlook the oily little fishes

33. Eat some foods that have been predigested by bacterial or fungi

34. Sweeten and salt your food yourself

35. Eat sweet foods as you find them in nature

36. Don’t eat breakfast cereals that change the color of the milk

37. The whiter the bread, the sooner you’ll be dead

38. Favor the kinds of oils and grains that have traditionally been stone-ground

39. Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself

40. Be the kind of person who takes supplements – then skip the supplements

41. Eat more lie the French. Or the Japanese. Or the Italians. Or the Greeks.

42. Regard nontraditional foods with skepticism

43. Have a glass of wine with dinner

44. Pay more, eat less

45. Eat less

46. Stop eating before you’re full

47. Eat when you are hungry, not when you are bored

48. Consult your gut

49. Eat slowly

50. The banquet is in the first bite

51. Spend as much time enjoying the meal as it took to prepare it

52. Buy smaller plates and glasses

53. Serve a proper portion and don’t go back for seconds

54. Breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like pauper

55. Eat meals

56. Limit your snacks to unprocessed plant foods

57. Don’t get your fuel from the same place your car does

58. Do all your eating at a table

59. Try not to eat alone

60. Treat treats as treats

61. Leave something on your plate

62. Plant a vegetable garden if you have space, a window box if you don’t

63. Cook

Replies

• forever28
    forever28 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    *LIKE* Great post!! Thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Oh I LOVE this!! Made me giggle a LOT!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Nice list... and yup once you start making the stuff at home even the "Sweet treats" you used to buy out just can't measure up to what you make at home, in full control over what ingredients go into it ;)
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I especially like:
    39. Eat all the junk food you want as long as you cook it yourself

Works for me! :-)
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Whoa! Waaaaaaay too many rules. Healthy living does not have to be this complicated.
  • imustbegood
    imustbegood Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Fab post - thanks ;)
  • lazyspice
    lazyspice Posts: 8,515 Member
    Options
    I love this one:

2. Don’t eat anything your great-grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food
  • hsmithway
    Options
    I understand the point that he's trying to make, but honestly, rules like this drive me batty. Mostly because I'm a very literal person, and if you were to take most of them literally, you'd be making your food choices on the basis of completely irrelevant information. For example, I've passed a bag of home grown veggies to a friend though their car window, and they certainly weren't unfit to eat :wink: :laugh:
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Thanks all. Pick and choose what works for you and YOUR life.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    ~ Wow ... That's a lot of rules !!!! Hmmmmm ......
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    this is how I've lost 64 lbs. Only I do eat more meat...but my husband kills all of it but the chicken. I see all these people eating highly processed "low fat" "low cal" stuff. I've done it in the past. If it isn't real, I really try not to eat it. Of course I'll get chick fil a everyone once in awhile & some ice cream now and then, but I really try to bake the treats myself. If I want sugar in my coffee, I put real sugar. The end.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of Michael Pollan. All his books are worth a read.
  • joanna323
    Options
    Michael Pollan makes the most sense to me of anyone who researches food. His approach is common sense and easy to follow. The rules are worth reviewing regularly to incorporate them into your daily life.
    Also remember his simple mantra from his book In Defense of Food:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.
  • PositivelyFlawed
    PositivelyFlawed Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Like all things, these too in moderation. All of these rules are great to integrate into your life. A lil less processed, a lil more fresh is really the overall theme, which is always a good idea. Fit them in where you can, it's not a religion, it's not all or nothing!
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I have read his books. My favorite is when he discusses GoGurt...would you grandma know what that is?! I actually make our yogurt myself in the crockpot. Yep, I do....
  • Onesnap
    Options
    this is how I've lost 64 lbs. Only I do eat more meat...but my husband kills all of it but the chicken. I see all these people eating highly processed "low fat" "low cal" stuff. I've done it in the past. If it isn't real, I really try not to eat it. Of course I'll get chick fil a everyone once in awhile & some ice cream now and then, but I really try to bake the treats myself. If I want sugar in my coffee, I put real sugar. The end.

Bison and lobster have less fat than Chicken. Grass fed beef has 1/2 the fat of grain fed. Food science is awesome.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Michael Pollan makes the most sense to me of anyone who researches food. His approach is common sense and easy to follow. The rules are worth reviewing regularly to incorporate them into your daily life.
    Also remember his simple mantra from his book In Defense of Food:

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

In Defense of Food comes in e-book format and is great for your Nook or Kindle too. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Healthy living is a lot of rules.

When I cook at home or grow my own veggies that's a heck of a lot more steps than waiting in the McDonald's Drive Thru line. I'd rather roast my own potatoes (mmm, truffle oil) than eat fast food fries.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I live by the majority of those "rules"..............To me, it is just a common sense way to live.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Healthy living is a lot of rules.

When I cook at home or grow my own veggies that's a heck of a lot more steps than waiting in the McDonald's Drive Thru line. I'd rather roast my own potatoes (mmm, truffle oil) than eat fast food fries.

Amen!! Most are too lazy to even want to begin to embark on that journey...............no one has time so it must come from the frozen food section and popped in the microwave....... <SMH> and <roll eyes>