Skinny *****

Options
Reading Skinny ***** right now, and just got through their views on dairy and meat. Pretty much some of the worst stuff ever according to them. All of their views have a really good point too.

What are your views on those two?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I want to know what the censored word is.

I think dairy and meat are great sources of food that are both delicious and induce happiness. I like to eat massive piles of meat.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    It's a "to each their own" issue. I eat dairy and meat and I don't feel bad about it, I like dairy and meat but it's all in moderation I suppose. I couldn't stick to a vegan or vegetarian diet, but that's just me. I just try to be a lot more careful about the dairy and meat I do eat. For example skim milk and also I've introduced almond milk into my diet, I have switched sides and have gone from flavored yogurt to plain greek, I eat turkey burgers and not hamburgers, if I do need hamburger for something it's usually 93/7 or higher and I don't mind paying more for it. I have been using more ground turkey as well in recipes.

Also, I have not read this book.
  • erickaincminor
    erickaincminor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The censored word is B**ch. I don't really know if that works? But, it's a nutrition book only laid out in a super easy to read, and very reliable way.They discuss all the pesticides put in to meat, which also goes with the dairy. They do like soy milk, and a lot of things soy.
  • boxerkate_04
    boxerkate_04 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I read this book too. It was really interesting but didn't make me stop eating meat. It did, however, make me switch to organic milk and foods as much as possible.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    They're worried about pesticides from the stuff animals eat, but aren't worried about what pesticides end up on soy beans? That doesn't make any sense.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    I think they are full of baloney. I got it, because it made me smile to look at the title. But they REALLY don't know what they are talking about.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I love dairy and meat.

I drink organic 1% milk. Need the fat.

I eat mostly other forms of red meat other than beef (@ Fuddruckers I'll get the ELK burger, despite the fact that it costs almost double). If I do eat beef I try to get it organic, but it's not always possible. Only on rare occasions anyway.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I think dairy and meat are great sources of food that are both delicious and induce happiness. I like to eat massive piles of meat.

This. I also like to drink massive quantities of milk.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to cut down on my mean consumption because it lowers my carbon footprint. I'm not a vegetarian, though. Also, low-fat dairy can help you lose weight because the calcium that isn't absorbed into your bones adheres to the fatty acids and helps you flush it out.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I eat a meat, but I don't eat beef or pork for religious reasons, and I drink milk on most days.
    There are days I really don't feel like eating meat and I tend to OD on protein powder on those days, but it keeps me full and happy.
    Keep not I am trying to maintain my current muscle mass while reducing my body fat % so eating less protein would be detrimental for my goals. :flowerforyou:

It depends on what you are trying to do, if reducing weight regardless of it being muscle mass or fat is your goal then yes getting rid of most protein and dairy in the diet will be effective. However decreasing muscle mass more than fat will lead to difficulties in maintaining that weight loss as muscle burns cals at rest helping the transition in to a normal life routine VS fat that does not burn cals at all leaving the person struggling to eat normally without gaining the weight back.
    Also higher composition of body fat will create a body that is larger in size than a body that weighs the same with a lower body fat %.
    Take me for example;my best friend and I weight the same and are the same height 5'4" and roughly 175 lbs. I wear a size 8 US jean comfortably and she wears a size 14 to 16 US jean.
    It all depends on what you want to achieve luv :flowerforyou:
  • teagin2002
    Options
    They're worried about pesticides from the stuff animals eat, but aren't worried about what pesticides end up on soy beans? That doesn't make any sense.

^^ this is also very true as soybeans have been mass produced and in that process they have messed with them a lot. Just google it :flowerforyou:
  • freeasharold
    freeasharold Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but I do eat organic dairy and eggs. The key is moderation, and if the chemicals and the way the animals were raised bother you/impact on the environment, only buy organic, free range, and hormone free.

Overall I think if you choose to eat meat, stick to chicken, turkey, occasional fish, and make the beef and pork more of a special occasion type of thing :)

To each his own. We can live healthy and happy on a vegan, vegetarian, and a "normal" omnivore diet. How lucky we are to have the choice!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I think they are full of baloney. I got it, because it made me smile to look at the title. But they REALLY don't know what they are talking about.

LIES! They are probably not full of baloney, or dairy.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I haven't read it, but I dont eat much meat or dairy. I have some lactose intolerance that makes dairy unpleasant (not yogurt and cheese, but milk and ice cream). Meat tends to sit really heavy on my stomach. I eat a lot of chicken, eggs, and fish, but try to get most of my protein from other sources. Only because it seems to make my digestion work better.
  • teagin2002
    Options

LIES! They are probably not full of baloney, or dairy.

lol ty for the laugh!! :laugh:
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It's a book written by vegans trying to convince anyone reading it to switch to a vegan lifestyle. While some of their information is good, you need to read it with that in mind.
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options

^^ this is also very true as soybeans have been mass produced and in that process they have messed with them a lot. Just google it :flowerforyou:

Actually they are worried about that. Did you read the book?
  • nmzeta
    nmzeta Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's a book written by vegans trying to convince anyone reading it to switch to a vegan lifestyle. While some of their information is good, you need to read it with that in mind.

I would agree
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    NO DAIRY NO MEAT. Those are my views.... I'm about 95% vegan. I lost weight faster and feel healthier (never constipated anymore TMI) not eating animal products. There are so many ways to get what your body needs from fruits/veggies/tofu/tempeh/etc. I am never under on protein/vitamins. I think you should give eating that way a shot! I love it. Feel free to add me, my diary is open to friends so you could get some meal ideas!
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat, but I do eat organic dairy and eggs. The key is moderation, and if the chemicals and the way the animals were raised bother you/impact on the environment, only buy organic, free range, and hormone free.

Overall I think if you choose to eat meat, stick to chicken, turkey, occasional fish, and make the beef and pork more of a special occasion type of thing :)

To each his own. We can live healthy and happy on a vegan, vegetarian, and a "normal" omnivore diet. How lucky we are to have the choice!

"Free Range" doesn't exist. It just makes people feel better about eating animal products.

http://www.peacefulprairie.org/freerange1.html
    http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/free-range-organic-meat-myth.aspx
    http://www.chooseveg.com/free-range.asp

'free range' chickens STILL suffer through:

-Overcrowded living conditions
    -Denial of veterinary care
    -Abusive handling
    -Transport through all weather extremes
    -Painful mutilations (debeaking, castration, dehorning, etc)
    -Unproductive, "spent" or "by-product" animals, such as male chicks of the egg-laying industry, are killed by methods such as --suffocation and crushing.
    -Violent slaughter

The same as ones who are not free range. They make those products more expensive, So they are making a higher profit off of you because it gives consumers the false sense that they are being humane by choosing to buy them instead of the ones without the free range sticker. The only way to truly be humane is to not use animal products at all. To each their own, but you should be informed of the truth. I'm not trying to start some vegan/meat-eater debate. Just stating facts. c: