Messed up knees/Back and Seated Elliptical

Options
I really enjoy this site and reading the comments of the community. It has kept me motivated!
I've been with MFP for about 4 weeks now and up until a week ago was doing great with losing weight and inches by dieting and walking 2 hours a day. A week ago I got overly ambitious and tried to run. Felt great until the next day when I found I could hardly walk. Went to Dr., diagnosed as shin splint in right leg as well as aggravation of a repaired torn quadricep in left leg, and was told to lay off the walking for 2 to three weeks. Just weighed myself and have gained weight back already even though I've been on a 1200 cal/day intake. My wife also want to exercise but has problems walking for exercise after having lower back surgery a few year ago. We went shopping yesterday and looked at a Octane x4c Seated Elliptical. We both tried it out for about 20 minutes and experienced no pain during, after, or the next day. We are both in our late 50's. I am 5 '9" and at 200 lbs. Mellany is 5' 9" and 165. ! want to get down to 165 and Mellany wants to get down to 145. We both want to tone up as well. I still plan to walk as soon as I'm able but want something to use when walking is not available due to weather or time restrictions. Has anyone had much experience/tips/ suggestions with seated ellipticals? Thanks for any information!
Mark