what is best for weight loss?

Replies

• cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed < calories burned = weight loss
  • AmandaBroun
    Options
    You lose weight by burning more calories than you consume, period.

For me, though, the easiest way to meet that goal is to cut out/cut down on grain and starch carbs. It's really up to what works for you individually
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed < calories burned = weight loss

^This.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    whatever you can do for life. low carb = fast weight loss, mostly water but eventually you'll have to watch calories. counting calories- more sustainable for MOST people.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    In additon to OP's question what IS considered LOW carb? % wise.
  • ShilohMaier
    Options
    I think the best way is to know yourself and your body, and what you know you can stick with for the long haul.

I'm a low-carber, but I also have insulin problems that make carbs wreak havoc on my system. But honestly, even if I wasn't, I KNOW myself (and have failed enough times on low-fat/low-cal), and if I can be satisfied and happy with my diet, I'll stick to it. I have a hard time eating all 1200 calories a day sometimes on my low-carb, because protein and fat are so filling and satisfying I don't eat as much. When I was doing low-fat, I was always hungry on even up to 1500 calories a day. And having more carbs than protein left my insulin spiking and crashing, and I was always too worn out to work out. And ALWAYS craving. But I lost 130 pounds on low-carb, and felt awesome (after the first few days of carb withdrawal). And despite what others may say, it is a healthy way to live. It's not like I don't eat any veggies, I eat 3-4 cups of veggies a day. I just don't eat fruit or dairy (other than hard cheeses and sour cream) or bread. I maintained for 5 years, but then I got pregnant and just ate whatever. Now I'm back on it, after fooling myself into thinking I was going to just do low-fat/low-cal and failing miserably (and feeling miserable!). And life is good :happy: !
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Whichever way of eating is the one you can honestly see yourself eating for the rest of your life, and one you feel satisfied and energized on. For me, that's low carb - below 50g (but I have health issues that mandate a low carb diet.) You have to find what works for you.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    A combination of both works really well for me. And low carb, not no carb. Atkins sucked for me, I gained a bunch of weight. When I went back to eating low calorie, low fat and low starch, I lost like crazy. Still needed to count those calories!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've done the "lose weight as quickly as possible" thing, but I didn't learn a thing ..... and now I'm right back where I started. THIS time I'm working on permanent LIFESTYLE changes. That way I will ALREADY know how to keep the weight off. If you don't have medical issues (re: carbs) , I would make healthy diet changes that you can live with for a long, long time.
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In additon to OP's question what IS considered LOW carb? % wise.

I believe low-carb means 15% or less. Maximum of 60g per day.

If you can stick to it, so be it. There's really no science to back up any one particular diet plan. Whatever you can stick to will work the best for you.

Personally I think it's much too restricting in terms of what you can eat and when you look at societies around the world and how carb-dense foods are pretty much a staple in many of their diets, low carb makes no sense at all. Ketosis be damned, I'll stick to the old fashioned method of counting calories with a new fancy plan of increased protein intake.