How many calories should I eat a day?

Options
I'm 5ft 3in, 218 lbs currently, and looking to get down to 135. I have myself listed as sedentary although I am on my feet most of the day as I have twins and am a homemaker. I have PCOS but everything else checks out great. In order to loose 1lb a week MFP has me listed at 1630 calories a day. I try personally to stay around 1200 calories day. Sometimes I will allow myself 1300-1400 (although I feel extremely guiilty doing that) And 99 percent of the time I won't eat my exercise calories back..

Am I setting myself up right, or will this stall weight loss?

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    1,200 seems low. How long have you been eating at 1200 - 1400? If you have not seen weight loss in that time, then it is likely not enough. Plus, if you are only eating 1200 now, you can't make your deficit any more once you are closer to your target weight, you can't go lower than 1200.
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    I'v seen weight loss, but it's been sort of stalled here and there. It will go a little while without changing then BAM I'll drop a pound or two!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I think you should try eating the 1,600 that MFP recommends for awhile. Give it a try for about 4-6 weeks and see what happens.

I used a TDEE calculator (total daily energy expenditure) with your numbers and it says 2132 would be your number to maintain current weight. A healthy deficit is 20%. 20% of 2132 is 426. 2132-426 = 1706. MFP's recommendation is a little more than 20% which should give you the results you want.

By eating only 1200 - 1400, your body will want to hold on to everything you are giving it because it thinks it is not enough. When you start eating a bit more, it will take your body a few weeks to adjust your metabolism accordingly.
  • dwtouch4
    Options
    Don't set your calories too low, and eat back your exercise calories. This methodology works as is shown by all the success stories from people on this site including me. You can set your calorie goal to 1.5 / wk or even 2 but if you're eating 1200 and not eating the exercise calories back your net calories will be too low. Since what you've been doing hasn't been working well just try the 1 lb/wk routine with eating your exercise calories back. You may see a change, and even if you don't you can just change again. Everyone is different but one thing is for sure is that eating too low a net is not beneficial.
  • merzback
    merzback Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 5ft 3in, 218 lbs currently, and looking to get down to 135. I have myself listed as sedentary although I am on my feet most of the day as I have twins and am a homemaker. I have PCOS but everything else checks out great. In order to loose 1lb a week MFP has me listed at 1630 calories a day. I try personally to stay around 1200 calories day. Sometimes I will allow myself 1300-1400 (although I feel extremely guiilty doing that) And 99 percent of the time I won't eat my exercise calories back..

Am I setting myself up right, or will this stall weight loss?

You should be eating what they tell you to eat. Don't set too low. I lost 300 calories when I set it to losing 2 lbs at week. No hurry- and no need to be hungry all the time!