Salmon Suggestions??

Options
fearlessbetz
fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
Hey Guys!

I have two beautiful Copper River wild salmon fillets, and not much inspiration of how to cook them. I usually do them on the George Foreman grill and they end up being SO dry!! Any suggestions on recipes and cooking times would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to ruin beautiful Alaska salmon fillets.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I usually bake salmon
  • grandmaruth2
    Options
    I cut the fillet say 2 inches, and then cut that strip down the middle but not through the skin. I fold the piece in half with the skins together. then I cook them on a cast iron griddle on med. heat for six minutes. Before I put them on the grill I brush them with oil and salt and pepper them. I flip them over half way through. (use your judgement or a thermometer for doneness) when done and before serving I put pesto on them. Delicious. (you can google salmon with pesto and find the recipe, I did). Ruth
  • fearlessbetz
    fearlessbetz Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nice!
  • marchlej
    Options
    I usually put a little lemon juice and spray butter on bottom of skin. Place on a foil tray (I usually double the foil) and put on grill. I season top with a little paprika, lemon juice and any other seasoning I have around (garlic, garlic pepper, old bay seasons, etc) .Flake with fork to see if done in center (around 15-20 minutes). Very easy and always moist.
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    Here's an idea : Don't cook it.

I just cured my first salmon this week and it turned out fantastic. Google for recipes, but basically you mix a ton of kosher salt, some sugar, and anything you find tasty to make a "cure".

Spread the cure over the non-skin side, wrap the filet in plastic wrap, lay it in a pan/tray of some sort and stack some weights on top (optional.)

Over the course of 2-3 days in the fridge, lots of moisture will come out. Drain this, and maybe rotate the fish if you feel like it.

When its ready, the fish will feel firm (not squishy) when you poke it with your finger. Take it out of the fridge, rinse it thoroughly under running water to get all of the cure off of it, and let it dry.

To serve, slice the salmon as thin as you can. Serve with sliced red onions, crumbled hard-boiled egg, sour cream, capers, and a dry white wine. If I wasn't low-carbing it, I'd add some kind of yummy bread/crackers.

Believe me, if you like lox, this is a life-changing discovery !

The cure I made had fresh-ground horseradish, Bombay Sapphire gin, brown sugar, black pepper, and 3/4 cup of kosher salt. Surprisingly, the horseradish taste is very mild : you almost have to "watch" for it.

It is similar to lox, but not identical. The texture is somewhat firmer (due to the weights, perhaps ?) and the taste is as wonderfully rich and subtle, just coming from a slightly different direction.

Man, this is making me so hungry ! I'm gonna go home and eat some more !

p.s. Make a bunch. It keeps for a week in the fridge.
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Fresh Sockeye or King salmon is incredible when the runs are coming. I envy you!

I keep it simple in preparation. Get the grill hot. I prefer charcoal but gas or even a cast iron grill pan will work too.
    With skin on, cut the fillet to individual 4-6 oz portions if necessary. Keep skin on, rub fillet in olive oil. I use a good first cold pressing olive oil for the flavor. A little kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper on the top of the meat. Place on the grill skin side down. You'll see the flesh change color a little as it's cooking. When it's about 3/4 cooked, squirt some fresh lime juice over the fish and finish cooking. Give it another shot of lime just after removing from the grill. The skin will be charred, but the fish flesh should be just cooked.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    bake it at a high temp for a short amount of time and put some lemon juice on it when it comes out of the oven!! simple tastes best with salmon (in my opinion) :)
  • spearfox
    spearfox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Here is what I had this evening. Not fresh, Wife bought it at Whole Foods, but it's an idea.
    Salmon stuffed with spinach and feta, 6 ounces I think.
    240 Calories, 13g fat, 6g sat. fat, 720mg cholesterol, 260mg sodium, 6g total carbs, 1g fiber, 2g sugar, 26g protein.
    Oh, and bacon wrapped fresh asparagus.
    All baked in the oven about 20-25 minutes.
    2012-02-14_17-16-14_66.jpg
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    a ginger marinade/ glaze tastes amazing with salmon. Take equal parts of honey, soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil and grate in some fresh ginger and garlic. Marinate for 20 minutes then grill or sear the salmon. While cooking the fish, add the marinate to a sauce pan and reduce it to a glaze consistency. Delicious!
  • gtunlimited
    gtunlimited Posts: 60 Member
    Options
  • TinySal
    TinySal Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I marinate the filets for several hours in equal parts of fresh lime juice, olive oil and soy sauce. The origional had a cilantro butter to put on after you cook...awesome without the extra calories you could add some cilantro to the marinade.

Drain.

Take sheet of foil and poke a bunch of holes in it. If not non stick spray a little spray. Put on gril medium heat until cooked and flakes with fork. I fold the ends under the filet if they are thin. I have also cut into serving sizes before grilling.

Yummo. I don't think this has ever come out dry.
  • rataliek
    rataliek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/printerfriendly/Salmon-with-Hoisin-Orange-and-Bok-Choy-356309?printFormat=photo

We made the above recipe last night (with less coriander seed). Healthy and delicious as well! We just put it in foil and threw it in the oven for 13 minutes. Paired it with sauteed asparagus and it was a super satisfying dish. Just a suggestion!
  • relledge
    Options
    I had a recipe at work last week that was amazing!! It was grilled salmon and then had a mango salsa dressing with black beans over spring mix!!! It was amazing!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Broiled with Honey mustard.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I prefer baking or grilling it with a splash of citrus. I tried a sweet maple glaze recipe I found on Cooking for Engineers but think the super sweet glaze ruins the flavor of the fish.
  • jennp1129
    jennp1129 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I marinate the filets for several hours in equal parts of fresh lime juice, olive oil and soy sauce. The origional had a cilantro butter to put on after you cook...awesome without the extra calories you could add some cilantro to the marinade.

Drain.

Take sheet of foil and poke a bunch of holes in it. If not non stick spray a little spray. Put on gril medium heat until cooked and flakes with fork. I fold the ends under the filet if they are thin. I have also cut into serving sizes before grilling.

Yummo. I don't think this has ever come out dry.

I usually cook mine similar to this. To mix it up now and then... I will swap the soy for fresh minced garlic. I have also baked it instead of Grill.

Now I want to go pick some up for dinner tonight. Gotta try some of these other recipes!
  • sburde2
    sburde2 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I coat my salmon with some olive oil and lemmon pepper then bake. So easy but so good!
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    mix black pepper, garlic pwd & sprinkle over fish , also put some olive oil. Now in a sep. bowl take spinach ( thawed & squeezed, so no water in it). Add some salt, black pepper & spread it over the fish. I bake it at 420 deg for 20 min or so ( depends on how thick the fish is) & serve . I am making this tonight. I am serving it with steamed beans & baked potatoes.yummyumm
  • meramon
    meramon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just made up a new salmon recipe last night. I mixed 1/2 tbsp of 1/2 fat mayo (I know, EVIL, but yummy), plus 1/2 tbsp dijon mustard. Added some roughly chopped capers (had them on hand from another recipe), and brushed the mixture over the salmon fillets (3 of them). Baked at 400 for about 20 minutes, but these were very thick pieces. I usually go about 15 or so. You could easily add some other herb flavours to this mix, but it really kept the salmon soft and moist. My husband and 2 1/2 year old loved it.
  • Junepal
    Junepal Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I like to bake salmon in low fat yogurt with dill and serve with a mustard sauce.
    For the sauce just chop one small onion and saute, add a few squirts of mustard and about a cup of the yogurt.