Counting Calories Question

Options
Hey Yall,

I have a quick question. I am trying the calorie counting and low carb method of weight loss. With that said is it necessary for me to count the calories in my salad and vegetables. For example, if my salad contains, tomatoe, cucumber and other things do I need to weigh each thing and add it to my calorie counter.

Also how do you know if you need to up your calorie take to lose weight.

Thanks in advance,

Rece C.
Ps. feel free to add me as friend!

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i add everything that goes into my mouth - even vitamins. it might not seem like a lot when you have 10 calories of lettuce and 15 of tomatoes and 3 of cucumber, but it all adds up and if you end up over calories, its not gonna matter if its from cake or veggies.

the next question will get you a lot of different answers. most people will agree you shouldnt eat below your bmr - theres a calculator for that under Tools. typically people will choose to lose 2 lb/week and thats too much unless you have 75+ pounds to lose..but even then you can get set below your bmr. for a while i was eating 1300 calories and i was miserable, so i upped it to 1500ish and i still did ok (about 1.5 lbs/week loss) but now im set to my bmr of 1845, and i still lost 1.5 pounds last week.. of course when i exercise i eat those too, but i try not to net lower than my bmr now. i might end up losing a little slower in the long run, but im ok with that as long as i get to keep my muscle mass and am losing fat.
  • recec
    recec Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks so much for answering. I am trying to lose about 80 and I set my calories to 1300. The first week I lost weight but last week that scale did not budge and I am starting to wonder if 1300 is to little calories for my weight. Not to mention that my head hurt and I thought I was going to die a couple of times. lol
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    1300 is probably too low. I'm 5'5", 192lbs and have a min calorie goal of 1700 daily. I set mine to my BMR.