Strength training and cardio?

Options
Hi!
I'm just a little bit confused and I've heard different things from different people.
At the gym, in what order should I be doing strength and cardio? Some people have told me doing strength first creates more muscle so you burn more calories overall when doing the cardio afterwards.

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    i always do strength first and then cardio - by the time i finish my cardio theres no way i would be able to do my strength routine.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    i'd like to hear more on this too, i hear from many too that you should do strength one day and then cardio the next not together... too many rules to figure these things out. everyone says something different!
  • blessmy5
    Options
    I'm interested also~
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    I usually do cardio first, because there's no way I could get on the treadmill after blasting my legs w/squats and leg presses :) Plus, I feel that the cardio is a good warmup for my muscles before lifting. But, this is all just my opinion.. :)
  • addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I don't mix the two on the same day.

If I only have say 600 calories to burn i want all 600 to go to either cardio or strength, so i can get the most out of one of them that day, instead of only half.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I do strength first then half assed cardio. The way it was explained to me is that you need the glycogen (the carbs stored in your muslces) for weight lifting. You can use other forms of energy (fat!) for cardio. So doing weights first will ensure that you have the energy you need for them.
  • dieseljay74
    Options
    Always strength first. It should be the basis of everything in your workout.
  • lisao62
    lisao62 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bump
  • haaaleyx
    haaaleyx Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I do cardio when I first get to the gym for 20 minutes. Then do my arm and half of my core strength training. Then I do cardio again for another 20 minutes and then finish off with my leg exercises and the rest of my core exercises.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    If you have to do both in the same session,
    do WL 1st so you will burn most of the carb then do cardio.
    This way you will burn more fat.
    Also you need all your strength so you can lift heavy weight.
    And if you don't have time and only can do 1 work out, do weight lifting because
    more muscle mass, higher metabolism. You can eat 300 cal less, instead of burn 300 cal thru cardio.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Unless you are going to be doing some sort of heavy duty training or body building or the like, then really the best thing to do is whatever works best for you. Whatever is going to keep you motivated to continue long term.
  • George1567
    Options
    The words "always" and "never" are tricky words to use. Yes, I never want to stab myself with a fork or always wear my seat belt. But when coming to fitness I feel you need to be willing to mix it up and keep an open mind. There are those that feel they get a longer calorie burn from lifting weights after cardio. Some want at least a 5 min total relaxed rest period between weights and starting cardio. Step back and look at fitness, in the 1950's there were those who felt that drinking water during football practice or a game was a sign you were weak. We have come a long ways since then, but still don't have all the answers with how the human body reacts to fitness. Workout fads and theories come and go.

I personally have tried many things, cardio then weights, seperate days, weights then cardio, and have gotten results with all....but that's me. As you try different things, if you find something that doesn't work for you then move on to something different.

I think these are safe:
    Never quit reaching for your goals.
    Always keep an open mind and strive to research new inovations in fitness and see how they work for you.
    Never resort to useing excuses on why you didn't workout.
    Always do whats best for you even if that isn't what everyone else is doing.
  • LPinTheD
    LPinTheD Posts: 129
    Options
    The words "always" and "never" are tricky words to use. Yes, I never want to stab myself with a fork or always wear my seat belt. But when coming to fitness I feel you need to be willing to mix it up and keep an open mind. There are those that feel they get a longer calorie burn from lifting weights after cardio. Some want at least a 5 min total relaxed rest period between weights and starting cardio. Step back and look at fitness, in the 1950's there were those who felt that drinking water during football practice or a game was a sign you were weak. We have come a long ways since then, but still don't have all the answers with how the human body reacts to fitness. Workout fads and theories come and go.

I personally have tried many things, cardio then weights, seperate days, weights then cardio, and have gotten results with all....but that's me. As you try different things, if you find something that doesn't work for you then move on to something different.

I think these are safe:
    Never quit reaching for your goals.
    Always keep an open mind and strive to research new inovations in fitness and see how they work for you.
    Never resort to useing excuses on why you didn't workout.
    Always do whats best for you even if that isn't what everyone else is doing.

Excellent advice!! Thank you :)
  • MbiggsHFD319
    MbiggsHFD319 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    According to Jillian Micheals and other fitness professionals, it is best to do strength training before cardio if you must do them both on the same day and do not work the same muscle groups more than 2 to 3 times a week.... Circuit training that includes cardio and strength training combined is actually the best because you get the benifits of both in less amount of time...
    With that said, I personally do 60 to 90 minutes on the treadmil 5-6 days a week and 2- 3 days a week I add 30- 45 minutes of weight lifting usually after a 30 minute cardio warm-up on the treadmill.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I'm just a little bit confused and I've heard different things from different people.
    At the gym, in what order should I be doing strength and cardio? Some people have told me doing strength first creates more muscle so you burn more calories overall when doing the cardio afterwards.

You do a 5-10 minute cardio warm up then strength then you do your cardio, at least 20-30 minutes to get a good burn
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I sometimes do both weights and cardio in the same session, or I'll break it up and do weights in the morning and cardio in the afternoon. When I do them in the same session, I like getting my strength training in first.
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 987Runner
    Options
    I do more of a circuit training to keep my heart rate up. I'm fortunate to have a treadmill and weights in my basement so I can easily rotate between the weights and cardio quickly. I am only guessing, but I think that would be the best for weight loss since your heart rate remains high the entire time?

Truly, I've never heard if one is better first, I'm curious too.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Okie dokie, will give you my 2 cents. Not much diff from the others, but I feel like typing, so here goes !

I do cardio almost every day - always 4, most weeks 5 days, some weeks 6 days. I do weights 2 / 3 days a week - skipping a day in between, of course. I typically "warm up" on the elliptical or stairmaster for 15 then do weights for 30/40 mins, then I do 30ish minutes on the bike - hills.

On days that I just do cardio - elliptical and bike, sometimes some stairmaster (love stairmaster, but my right knee doesn't).

Going to add in some Yoga and heavy bag - gotta keep mixing it up !

I hope this helps : )
  • gmrgirl
    gmrgirl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    **caution - this works for me. I don't claim this will work for everyone.**

I choose to do my cardio before weight lifting. I do this for a few reasons. Personally:

- I get a psychological boost from doing my cardio first
    - My cardio is a warm up for my weight lifting (I do kickboxing or cardio dance for my cardio)
    - My cardio clears my mind (if i'm angry at something, I balls to the wall it in a HIIT class)
    - I do cardio 6 days a week and only lift 3 days a week.

once I've done my cardio, I feel like I can FOCUS on my weights. When I lift I put my mind in the muscle and really FOCUS on form and execution. I do it with clarity and calm. I zone when I do weights, but only if I've done my cardio first.