Pre-Workout for Women

Options
So, I need something to help me with energy before my workout . Also I want to gain muscle mass and lose weight... something on the cheaper side would be nice. Anyone have any ideas? :o

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So, I need something to help me with energy before my workout
    Sleep
    Also I want to gain muscle mass
    Eat everything in sight
    and lose weight
    Don't eat everything in sight
    ... something on the cheaper side would be nice.

Black coffee
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    lol, thanks.
  • renlewis170
    renlewis170 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Wish I had some insight for you! I'll be interested to see if anyone else does...
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I just started working with a personal trainer, and I asked him this same question yesterday. He said ideally you'd want to eat some carbs and some protein. He suggested a protein shake because its got both and it's quick and easy. Or some oatmeal and a boiled egg. Hope that helps!
  • jen2607
    jen2607 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I always thought protein was supposed to be after .. but I guess it couldn't hurt to do before. I have problems with sugar and carbs making me sleepy ... but I'm sure I'll find the right balance.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    i'm not sure what i do is right, but before my daily 30DS workout (25 min), I eat one slice of whole grain toast and a single egg. that's 130 calories and 10 g protein. i SHOULD be eating something afterward, but i sort of fail there.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I take a vitamin with a whole lotta B-complex in it, and a cuppa coffee.
  • thefuzz1290
    thefuzz1290 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You can take an NO supplement, which you can find online pretty cheap (month's supply for ~$20).
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Coffee?

Pre and post workout nutrition is not nearly as important as total 24 hour nutrition. The protein used to repair muscle during/ after a work out is really the protein from yesterday.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    I drink Hammer Nutrition Heed and green tea before my workout. Sometimes I take half a gu packet. It's good to last me about 2 hours at the gym.
  • Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    a banana and green tea does the trick for me...
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Women aren't really that different from men. We just don't bulk. Eating well and getting enough sleep will help with the energy. Lifting heavy will help build muscle.
  • G30Grrl
    G30Grrl Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I usually have a whey protein smoothie before a workout, often blended with juice, a banana, or fruit. Post workout, I have another whey protein smoothie, only this time I'll add Greek yogurt, an egg, or a nut butter almond, cashew, hazelnut, etc) to make it a bit more substantial and boost the protein a bit.

Also, it's essential for me to get plenty of sleep (I lift very early in the morning, and go to bed at 8:30 the night before), and to drink at least 16 ounces of water before I work out if I don't want to feel like I'm too pooped to finish strong.
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like Muscle Pharm's Assult, great taste, great profile, and it gives you insane energy/focus in the gym. If you want to go really cheap, just buy caffeine pills. They are like $4 for 90, 200 mg pills. Good luck on your goals!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Coffee?

Pre and post workout nutrition is not nearly as important as total 24 hour nutrition. The protein used to repair muscle during/ after a work out is really the protein from yesterday.

THIS ^^ Just get something into you a few hours before hand, doesn't matter what as long as it fits your total daily macros.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Coffee?

THIS ^^ Just get something into you a few hours before hand, doesn't matter what as long as it fits your total daily macros.

Gee. I wonder where I learned that. :wink:
  • sugarbone
    sugarbone Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I like a big cup of black, black coffee.
  • Thelala
    Thelala Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Yoga and cold water.
  • kellytaylor13104
    kellytaylor13104 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 tablespoon of almond butter and an apple. Almond butter is pricey ($10/jar), but I think its worth it to have in your cupboard and make it last a month.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Cheap- Coffee

Not Cheap-- Controlled Labs White Flood