A runner? Me? Well I guess I am now!

Options
I have never, ever, ever been a runner. Sure I played soccer, basketball, etc when I was younger, but running never even looked the slightest bit interesting to me. After years of inactivity, I was motivated to start a walking regimen last September. I remember one day in October, during my walk, that I just felt like I want to go faster. So, I jogged. 5 months ago I couldn't run the length of my office building. Today, I am running circles around it! Literally. Today, I decided to try for 3.3 miles. Just to see if I could. No pressure, no timer, just me, my tunes, and the promise of a terrific sense of accomplishment. I intentionally kept the pace slow to be sure I could finish. And, finish I did. 37 minutes 48 seconds later I was beaming with pride. And what is even more exciting to me is that I had plenty left. It wasn't hard. I was no where near dying from exhaustion. I know I can pick up the pace and still finish for sure. I have also been doing P90X Lean for 3 weeks. I know I am stronger with more endurance for those additional workouts. YEAH ME!! Who knew I would do this at age 44? Look out 45...I'm coming on strong and better than ever!!!!

Replies

• j3nn14er
    Options
    Amazing! I also have never considered running as a hobby until recently, but now i run everyday for the fun of it. You're doing great and I love your attitude ^_^
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Awesome story....congrats to you
  • jknoell
    jknoell Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I have a very similar story - I totally understand how you feel! I ran 3.79 miles the other night and felt fabulous about it - and I've never been a runner either! I'll be running my first full 5K on Saturday. If you haven't already, I totally suggest signing up for races - you will love them and may find additional motivation to keep up the running!

GREAT JOB!!!!
  • So this does get easier ???? I started the couch to 5k program tonight and i feel like im going to die! I could never run but i guess i never tried either! Congrats to you and your success!!! Good job!
  • 44nFab
    44nFab Posts: 19
    Options
    I love it too and run 5 days a week. It is not exercise for me as much as it is therapy for me now. It helps me with the stress of my job, a teenage daughter and a two-yr old daughter. :smile:
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The 40's are the new 30's! I started running when I was 39 and my only regret is that I waited so long! Congrats!
  • Degren
    Degren Posts: 80
    Options
    Good for you! I started running a year ago and can't imagine not doing it. Also, regarding the following:
    So this does get easier ???? I started the couch to 5k program tonight and i feel like im going to die! I could never run but i guess i never tried either! Congrats to you and your success!!! Good job!

YES! It does. I started out just where you are, and it really does get easier. Your body builds up endurance based on the increasing demands you are putting on it. Keep at it. Repeat a day or even a week of the program if you need to. You can do this!
  • lisab42
    lisab42 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic!!!! Run long, run strong!!! Keep it up :flowerforyou:
  • extremewinner
    extremewinner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Ive had the feeling of running during my walks but I dont have the will to do it. After reading this, I might just try this week. :)
    Success stories are the best!
  • Guardien
    Guardien Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! I have a very similar story - I totally understand how you feel! I ran 3.79 miles the other night and felt fabulous about it - and I've never been a runner either! I'll be running my first full 5K on Saturday. If you haven't already, I totally suggest signing up for races - you will love them and may find additional motivation to keep up the running!

GREAT JOB!!!!

Good luck on your 5k!!!
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Congratulations.

I, too, am very new to running (this is my third week) I''m 53 and had never even run across the street to catch a bus. Do you have any tips for me?

Kristine
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I love it. Running to me has always been a "love / hate" thing. One year ago I was striving for one twelve minute mile, now I rip off 9 minute miles forever. Its a feeling of accomplisment for sure. Congrats on your feat. Check out clips on Youtube for a movie called "My Run". Motivating.
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    "Being an athlete is a state of mind which is not bound by age, performance or place in the running pack." -Jeff Galloway

Congrats on your accomplishment!! :drinker:
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are a runner.

Whether you've been running a day, a week, a year, or a decade. The day you run is the day you become a Club Member.

Welcome. However ........

****WARNING****

Running is an addicting behavior. A 3.3 mile run will tempt you into signing up for a 5K ... then a 10K ... the 10K will seduce you into a half marathon and just when you think you have things under control, you'll go off the deep end and sign up for a marathon.

Consider yourself warned.
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I hope that is me in 6 months too!! Great Job!!

15112172.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • bones24
    bones24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Love it! My story is very similar, starting running in September, now hoping to run my first 5k next month. I just turned 41 and am now looking forward to the 40's! Last week I ran my first unofficial (self-timed) 5k in just under 30 minutes, it was such a great feeling of accomplishment. It is a great stress-reliever, not to mention the weight loss benefits, and just the overall feeling of getting stronger. I love setting goals, and then going for them. No other exercise has got me this motivated, hooked for sure. :-)) Keep on running!!
  • drizzella
    Options
    Congratulations!! And yes! It is addicting. You will find yourself
    thinking of when can I run next. I have a similar story and I finished my first half marathon at the end of January and next weekend I will be doing my second one. Good luck! And run strong!!
  • jenny1350
    Options
    Yes. You are a runner.

Whether you've been running a day, a week, a year, or a decade. The day you run is the day you become a Club Member.

****WARNING****

Running is an addicting behavior. A 3.3 mile run will tempt you into signing up for a 5K ... then a 10K ... the 10K will seduce you into a half marathon and just when you think you have things under control, you'll go off the deep end and sign up for a marathon.

How true this is! I am a third shifter and can never find enough time to jog/run when I want! started walking to better my health, now I am jogging and will run my 1st 5k in May! I have bad knees and never figured I could run again..WRONG!
  • 44nFab
    44nFab Posts: 19
    Options
    Congratulations.

I, too, am very new to running (this is my third week) I''m 53 and had never even run across the street to catch a bus. Do you have any tips for me?

Kristine

Definitely. I would highly, highly encourage you to go to a specialty running store to have your gait analyzed on the treadmill and a personalized shoe and arch support fitting. You may not need the arch support. They will tell you.
    I had no idea when I first started running the complexity of the whole running shoe thing. Let the experts help you. Your body will thank you.
    I also experienced knee pain pretty early on. I went to the doctor and told him that not running was not an option so he needed to tell me what to do so I could keep running (my first clue I had been bitten by the running bug!). He said I had jumper's knees. Now I wear knee straps and feel great. So, listen to your body and seek medical attention if needed. Sometimes just pressing though is not the answer.
    That's the "physical" advice. Now for the "mental". Sometimes it is the mental challenge of the run that is harder than the physical challenge. Music helps me focus on something else. Also, for me, I have learned that I cannot put too much pressure on myself to succeed. What I mean is, it needs to be fun. I can't get so serious and intense about my performance that the fun is gone and I am focusing on what I did NOT achieve instead of what I did. For me that translates into giving myself permission to walk if I want to walk, for example. That way, I know I am running because I want to...for the joy of it. Also, focusing on mini-milestones along the way during the run helps me feel like I am always succeeding and the "finish line" doesn't ever feel so far away.
    As others have said, it is addictive. Keep it up, take care of your body, and learn what motivates you to take the next step.

To all other replies, thank you so much for your encouragement and helping me celebrate. You have made me smile.

To those about to run your first 5Ks, way to go, best of luck and have fun!! I will be "running" in your footsteps soon.

Bones24...under 30 mins? You ROCK!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Yes. You are a runner.

****WARNING****

Indeed.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!