Need some encouragement

Options
Hey, everyone. I'm a little discouraged because I haven't made it to my goal. I have ate my 1200 calories and I've worked out everyday for atleast an hour. I am stuck at 197, this has been for the last month, and I can't seem to shake it. I am strenght training and I am doing cardio. Any suggestions at all. I am really needing help because I am a past WW. I didn't feel it necessary to go to $40 dollar meetings after meeting all of you all. I NEED YOUR HELP.

Replies

• turtle31
    turtle31 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hey, everyone. I'm a little discouraged because I haven't made it to my goal. I have ate my 1200 calories and I've worked out everyday for atleast an hour. I am stuck at 197, this has been for the last month, and I can't seem to shake it. I am strenght training and I am doing cardio. Any suggestions at all. I am really needing help because I am a past WW. I didn't feel it necessary to go to $40 dollar meetings after meeting all of you all. I NEED YOUR HELP.
  • molsongirl
    molsongirl Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I zig zag my calories, it's worth a shot, lots of info through google that explains it, no plateaus for me!
  • turtle31
    Options
    What do you mean?
  • molsongirl
    Options
    What's the Scoop on Zig-Zagging?
    Zig-zagging can be one of the most effective methods for dropping fat or adding muscle while keeping fat gains to a minimum.

The way it works is simple. Your body is constantly trying to stay the same - a state that scientists refer to as "homeostasis." The typical dieting approach (calories at a set level) will usually lead to a plateau. This is because body will slow down (remember, it is trying to stay the same, not lose or gain weight) to match your calorie intake. Not a good situation!

go to naturalphysiques.com they have a chart that you can enter your numbers to find out how to zig zag your calories.
  • writer4him
    writer4him Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    You might want to try increasing your calories. I know it sounds like that doesn't make sense...but as a teacher, you are very active, on your feet all day, moving around, etc. I started here with 1240 calories as a daily goal and I lost weight the first few weeks, but then I stopped...and I increased my calories because 1200-ish was making me feel sick - and I lost a pound this week! I also am eating at least half of my exercise calories. Without exercise, I am at 1350 per day now (I think). When I exercise, I eat 1500 or more.
  • turtle31
    Options
    Thanks, I'm checking it out right now!
  • turtle31
    Options
    I remember when I started my calories were I think 1260, then the numbers changed for some strange reason. I lost 6 pounds in my first 2 weeks. I ate only a few of my work out calories and I wasn't hungry at all. Do you think that 1260 really makes a big difference. What does MFP tell you to eat?
  • molsongirl
    Options
    You might want to try increasing your calories. I know it sounds like that doesn't make sense...but as a teacher, you are very active, on your feet all day, moving around, etc. I started here with 1240 calories as a daily goal and I lost weight the first few weeks, but then I stopped...and I increased my calories because 1200-ish was making me feel sick - and I lost a pound this week! I also am eating at least half of my exercise calories. Without exercise, I am at 1350 per day now (I think). When I exercise, I eat 1500 or more.

kinda on the road to zig zagging, but I don't even factor in the exercise calories, I ignore that completely, one day you eat lower in calories, next higher, next somewhere in the middle, by the end of the week, you've taken in the same amount of calories, but you're kinda tricking your body to shake it up..the exercise cal thing, is a personal choice, and I just don't go there. I tend to mix my highest calorie days with the ones that I exercise the most......different strokes for different folks.
  • writer4him
    Options
    I changed my activity level in the goals section to a more active level to get the 1350 calories. I really am not super-active but I think I have more muscle than the average person and that makes you burn calories faster. I've just been experimenting to see what works - and 1200 does not work for me. I was starving when I went to bed at night and I was waking up in the morning feeling weak and sick.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,075 Member
    Options
    You need to eat the 1360 calories.

Then when you work out and you burn 500 calories, you need to be eating 1860 calories. No wonder you are starving.
  • molsongirl
    Options
    I changed my activity level in the goals section to a more active level to get the 1350 calories. I really am not super-active but I think I have more muscle than the average person and that makes you burn calories faster. I've just been experimenting to see what works - and 1200 does not work for me. I was starving when I went to bed at night and I was waking up in the morning feeling weak and sick.

I'm with you on that one, I bodybuild, lots of muscle on my body, I fit it to the very active category, i'm 5'3 112 pounds, i've been on the site for maintenance, gotta say that before someone throws a dagger my way :laugh: , I eat 1298-1640 calories, with my exercise being heavy duty at 3 hours a days 6 days a week, lately 7 because someone quit!
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    I agree that you may want to eat a few extra calories. If you are an active person to begin with ( plus you have already lost weight, maybe eating extra calories will help. I remember seeing that happen on Biggest Looser recently and it really stuck with me.

We are all here with you!! :flowerforyou:
  • turtle31
    Options
    do you eat all of your work out calories?
  • magnolia1077
    Options
    I don't but I am just starting (2 weeks in) and am currently happy about my weight loss so I'm trying to stay with what I'm doing until I get to that point where the weight doesnt' come off anymore. I figure taking someone who set on the couch all day eating chips and cookies now eating healthy and working out hard 4 days a week, I will loose weight the first few weeks. :laugh:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone said this already but I like the whole muscle confusion thing...Maybe you could just keep your calories as is and try doing a totally different exercise(like take a new class or just try some new activity).
    I luckly :happy: have not had a plateau (knock on wood) and have losing for about 4 months...I try to do my usual cardio and strength but maybe once a week try to do something different...this week it is going to be a yoga class.
  • writer4him
    Options
    I try to be moderate about eating exercise calories (I eat about half) because I do not own a HRM and am going by the MFP database for how many calories I burn in exercise. I haven't been doing this very long, so I am just going to keep experimenting to see what works. If eating more works and I keep losing - well, I am all for eating more! Ha ha!