HRMs + Jillian Michael's workouts

Options
2»

Replies

• glacroix
    glacroix Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I just started the 30 DS and finished day 3 level one. I use the Polar FT4 HRM w/chest band and I have burned 259 - 266 calories, depending on how much steam I have. I would love to burn 520 calories, but I am pretty wimpy and have to stop and catch my breath. I try to do as she says 5 seconds and start back up, but I can't always.

Oh I did not perform well in this workout at all :P That 520 is not reflective of success, I assure you. My 5 second breaks (and there were quite a few) were more like 10-15 second breaks which included glaring-at-the-tv time ;)

It seems like the Polar people are all pretty consistent and I just bought the wrong product... I just found a thread comparing Timex and Polar and apparently Timex overshoots calories like nobody's business. So for all you fantastic people who were bummed they didn't get to 520, well I didn't either! My HRM is just crap, is all! Now to look up Polars...
  • glacroix
    Options
    So seeing as how I clearly bought the wrong product, can I ask you guys which Polar HRM you ended up buying?
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I've got the FT4, its one of the lower models, but its simple and does everything I want it to, heart rate, cals burnt, avg and max heart rates, minutes burnt in fat burning zone, and it beeps at me if my heart rate is too low and im not working hard enough and keeps a records of a fair few past workouts
  • nickm21
    nickm21 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" and weigh 186, wore my polar hrm yesterday for the first time during 30DS and burned 241 calories on level 1.
    Hope this helps.
  • continue29
    Options
    ive got the polar Ft7 & love it... ive been burning between 210 & 250 on levels 1 & 2 of the 30DS
  • Tara4boys
    Tara4boys Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    230ish.

I question most people who report a calorie burn greater than ~100 calories per 10 minutes of exercise. It is very difficult to maintain a higher rate for any extended period of time. I'm not saying it can't happen - it can but it is a very small percentage of folks.
  • MissSpuggz
    MissSpuggz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    i completely busted my rear doing level 2 of 30ds today and just started using my hrm and the whole 27 minutes, it said i only burned 30 calories and im thinkin, what did i do wrong? i know thats not right.

If you entered personal data into the HRM, make sure that's correct. If it is then I think the sensor isn't picking up your heart rate for large parts of the workout. I assume you have a chest strap? Make sure it's wet enough or I'm not sure if this works but you can pick up a bottle of conductive gel that should help pick up your heart rate.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    If you entered personal data into the HRM, make sure that's correct.
    I'd suggest checking the weight setting first. Did you accidentally enter your weight in lbs as a weight in kg?
  • shmunster
    shmunster Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Hey there, my friend started today and she burnt 200, so I think your HRM may be a bit off

She's got a Polar FT60
  • rinn1791
    Options
    I guess I'll try to see if I did something wrong on my HRM when I was inputting my numbers. I just hope it's not defective, it was supposed to be good quality...

We used HRMs in high school gym class (and I'm about to get my own :D !!!))), MAKE SURE that the belt is tight enough. It should snugly fit around your chest where the under-wire of your bra would sit (it's way more comfortable if you wear a sports bra to work out in.) I had trouble when they were first introduced- I got tired of adjusting, trying it on, and then readjusting over and over again.

Looking back...I know they sanitized them...but it's still pretty gross....maybe sharing fitness hrm chest bands wasn't such a good idea...thanks high school gym teacher.........gross..... : /
  • glacroix
    Options
    We used HRMs in high school gym class (and I'm about to get my own :D !!!))), MAKE SURE that the belt is tight enough. It should snugly fit around your chest where the under-wire of your bra would sit (it's way more comfortable if you wear a sports bra to work out in.) I had trouble when they were first introduced- I got tired of adjusting, trying it on, and then readjusting over and over again.

Looking back...I know they sanitized them...but it's still pretty gross....maybe sharing fitness hrm chest bands wasn't such a good idea...thanks high school gym teacher.........gross..... : /

On the one hand, holy high school! That's such a great idea, so few people have any clue how important heart rates are to fitness and your school had some for the students! Pretty awesome.

On the other hand...yeah, that's pretty gross :P Very exciting that you're getting your own now!! I'm so happy with mine! :D
  • glacroix
    Options
    MASSIVE thanks to everyone for their suggestions and data! I got a Polar FT60 (my bday is coming up and my mother is awesome so I didn't have to buy a second right after the first ;) ) and I'm finally getting results that make sense compared to what you guys are getting.

Looking through the other threads about HRMs, it seems that the Timex one I had was estimating off only a couple parameters (weight, height, etc) whereas the Polars estimate based off of many more (such as this VO2max test it makes you do before you start). I absolutely love this one. I hope people about to invest in Timex HRMs see this thread!

Thanks again, everyone! :D
  • robdahlgren0506
    robdahlgren0506 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I WAS about to invest in a Timex HRM and I DID see this! Thank you all so much for helping me save some money!