New to running...will I ever get it?

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site, and so far I have lost 14 pounds by eating healthier and exercising. Thus far, that has consisted of walking at a moderate pace a few times a week. Not to sound weird, but I think runners have awesome bodies. Not all, I understand everyone is different. However, a lot of runners have great legs and really strong cores! (I am sure not by running alone, but its a common factor). Anyways, my point is I want to be a runner. I love the idea of running. But am I a runner?
I have heard people say "I'm in shape, I'm just not a runner". Or "I just wasn't made for running". Are those valid? Or does everyone have the capability to become a runner? I'm asking because at this point running is a struggle. The first time I attempted it was a few weeks back and I was only able to a run a minute and some odd seconds before having to stop. Tonight, I ran five minutes straight, but it is still a struggle. How do people run miles and miles?! That seems so rewarding, so fullfilling, and so relaxing. I want it so bad. I just am having trouble getting there.
I've rambled. Sorry. But I really would love advice from people who thought they "weren't made to run" who now love/are able to run?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    I think I'm your classic non-runner-turned-runner, so I'll try to answer your questions :smile:
    I have always wanted to run, but thought that I would never be able to. Too overweight, too old, bad knees, too hard... you name it, I made all the excuses.
    Then I decided that I REALLY wanted to run. And I found C25K, which is a training program that gives you set walking/running intervals. Because it was very concrete and told me exactlly what to do, I decided to give it a go.
    That was just over a year ago and now I definitely consider myself a runner. I've run a couple of race (almost did a half marathon but was injured) and have more races planned for this year, including a half marathon.

My advice on HOW to get started:
    - find a program. C25K is pretty popular but there are lots of others out there too. I don't think it really matters which one, just find something that tells you to run for 1 min, walk for 2 min (or similar)... and gradually increases your times.
    - don't panic about the longer runs later in the program, just work your way through from the beginning.
    - take rest days. You don't have to run every day, in fact when you are starting out it's probably better not to. Walk instead on alternate days.
    - don't be worried about repeating a day or a week of the program if you feel you need to.
    - get some good shoes (and a good bra, for the ladies).
    - run SLOWLY. Really, really slowly. This will let you do the distance without dying, or at least make it possible, even though you might feel like you're dying at first.
    - just keep going, and you'll get there.
    - find a support network of new runners. I see "I'm just staring C25K" posts about every week on MFP.

Good luck and enoy becoming a runner!
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    I think if the desire is there, then you can be a runner.

It might take you a while but look at your own small success. You went from running 1 minute to running 5. That is a huge percentage increase! Try doing run/walk intervals on your walks for a few weeks: run 1 minute, walk 4 minutes, run 1 minute, etc. Many people start this way; it's a great way to introduce your body to running.

It does get easier, but you have to give it time. For some people it happens quickly, for others it takes a while. My hubby, never a runner, decided that he wanted to give it a try again on the trails. He went from solidly non-runner to an I-love-this runner in about two months. He did run/walk at first, transitioned into longer run and shorter walks. Somewhere along the way he broke through. That's not to say he doesn't have days that aren't so good; he does. But typically he can pinpoint why (not enough calories, dehydrated)--and that is a huge leap forward.

I have been running for years. I love running with my heart and soul. My body continues to change. After switching to trails several years ago, I realized that it took me a good 2 years for my connective tissue to adapt to the different kind of terrain and my endocrine system to adapt to running very, very far. The bar keeps getting raised.

I'll repeat: if you really want to do it, you can become a runner. Be gentle with yourself; be patient. It's not worth going to far/fast too quickly. Trust me! Good luck and most of all enjoy the journey.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Thanks so much! Wow I just looked at your profile, and that is so inspiring! I will have to try the C25k program! I think a structured program will be easier to stick to as well. Thanks for your advice and congrats on all your success!

Thank you both! Great advice! I really want to become a runner for the freedom people say they have when running! You both seem to love it! I'm excited!
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    You can do it. I did.

I started running at age 40. Less than 3 years later, I can run a half marathon.

Just keep plugging away.
  • The above post sounds like great advice. I would definitely say that I am not a runner, at least not long distance. Played baseball all my life, so im pretty decent with sprints or within a 1-2 mile range. Wish I would have gave the program mentioned above a shot before selling my treadmill. Where I live we have a place called The Running Warehouse where the evaluate how you run by videotaping you as you run. My buddies have always told me this is a great way to start getting into running. And definitely the right pair of shoes which places like The Running Warehouse help you to choose.
  • amber10101
    amber10101 Posts: 100 Member
    It takes time. Lots of time. Running is about constant improvement. It's not something you can achieve. Even the guy who holds the world record in the marathon is finding ways to improve and get faster and stronger - someone is always chasing his time.

I think the best part of running is that it will always be a challenge. I'll never be "done" with it. It's not like going to school and deciding to get an "A" in your class.

So, if you like a challenge, like having something to work towards, then go for it! Take comfort in the struggle, enjoy the growth and keep at it!

But, will you ever "get it"? No. No one does! You'll never "arrive". WIll running get more comfortable? Yes. Will you make improvements? Yes! Is it worth it? Heck yes!
  • hannahwrnr
    Perseverance is the key I guess? You guys have definitely motivated me to keep going. I was dissapointed that I was just now to a 5 minute run without stopping, but I guess you are right, it is improvement! Can't wait to see how far this takes me!
  • I LOVE RUNNING!!!!! i can tell you right now that if you go outside and make a goal for yourself and beat your goal everyday than you will be a runner. i have a lot of friends that are so much more fit than i am and they say " i don't know how you run like that", but they run on treadmills...not the same!!! go out everyday and say i'm going to run to that stop sign, then the next day run another minute past that stop sign and so on and so forth. i've always enjoyed running, but now i know how i need to push myself that extra minute and i find myself at peace when i run the first 20 (running is a form of meditation)! if you don't keep trying you won't get it. KEEP TRYING and you'll love it!!!
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Everything that everyone else said....and I just want to stress, TAKE IT SLOW. One of the most common mistakes people make is they do too much, too soon, and up injured. It takes a long time to build your body up for running. I would try following a structured plan (most popular is the Couch to 5k, which seems to work well for people). Good luck, you are already doing great!
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    I have always felt the same way as you about running. I would always envy people who seemed to just run effortlessly. I gained a lot of weight over the past couple years and have been determined to get back in shape. I decided to give running a shot because I know a lot of people who run... and none of them are overweight! I was a little skeptical about my ability to do it. (I smoked a pack a day for about 12 years and I've never exactly been what you'd consider an athlete.)

Like some others on this thread, I used the Couch to 5K plan. I felt like the intervals were just right. I walked regularly (about 5 miles a day) for about 6 months before I started it. I did the C25K from late October through December. Since then, I've been running at least 3 miles 4 or more days a week.

So, yes, you can be a runner! Just start slow and stick with it. You will surprise yourself before you know it!
  • i'm trying to work my way up to become a full blown "runner" as well. recently at the gym i've been doing intervals like some of you mention, alternating between walking/running. tonight i was actually able to walk for 6 minutes and then run as fast as i could for 6 minutes after that! that's the longest i've been able to run in a while, and i really surprised myself! hard work does pay off, even though my achievement tonight was small, it's definitely encouraged me to keep going to i can start running longer! good luck !
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Anyone can run....but GET GOOD SHOES!!!!! Go to a local running specialty store and have them do a gait analysis and fit you for the right shoe for you. You're body will thank you!
  • gbelltx
    gbelltx Posts: 142
    I consider myself a fast jogger and when I started I could barely walk 3 miles and now I have run/walked 1 full marathon and 3 half marathons. It’s not about speed for me it’s about finishing and the people you meet out at the events doing the same thing.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    I started out as possibly the world's *worst* runner. I don't hate running anymore. Maybe I'll even learn to love it one day, but I can say, from the non-runningest person out there, you can learn not to hate it. :smile:
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    I have never been a runner, but have always wanted to be one - I started C25K 2 weeks ago and I love it so far! I follow the program running/walking 3 days a week, and do a long walk on the off days (also do workout DVDs in the early mornings). Today was a walk day, and I swear a couple of times I really wanted to just break into a run for part of it, but I held back and will save it for tomorrow when I start week 3. :tongue: I'm a little nervous about running a longer distance each week, afraid that I'm going to get to a point where I can't keep up with the program - but as other said here, I will go slow, and repeat a week if I have to - no big deal.

Add me if you like!
  • Macrocarpa
    Macrocarpa Posts: 121 Member
    Yes...it becomes easier...you get used to your style and trust me, you'll speed up and feel great and do long distances.

I started with running the downhills when walking my dog, maybe 1km at a time at a slow trot...not even a run.

Recently I did a sub-24 minute 5km, and in the same week did a 15km trail run averaging 5:25mins / km, which is easily the fastest I've ever run (at 33 years old). The 15km...I felt like the Terminator just cruising along, marking off the kms and grooving to the music. Even overtook a cyclist :o)
  • i have recently starte running myself! i love the 'runners high' that i get after a run! i started small, i mapped a route through my neighborhood about 3kms to start. its great to see my time improving and i've eeven got a 2nd run that is a little longer that i try to chamge things up a bit. i always hated running, but i feel like for me a run burns the most calories and i feel amazing for quite awhile afterwards.i am by no means a real runner yet, but i plan to stick with it and hope to be able to go longer and longer as i keep at it! good luck! i give myself landmarks to go by, the next stop sign, or to the corner etc... then give myself a minute to catch my breath and then keep on going.
    good luck!
    nicole
  • Watch this link; it's all about running.

http://www.c25k.com/ben_video.html

Very Inspiring!!
  • hannahwrnr
    Awesome! When logging that in MFP do I log the total time ran and the total time walked separately?
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    The human body is built for endurance running. So, everybody, unless they have some overwhelming deformity or injury, is a runner. The only problem is that due to the conveniences of modern society, the vast majority have become sedentary and lost the ability to use their body as designed. The good news is that this can be fixed by training and time.

All you have to do is believe in yourself and do the training.