bad inner thigh chafing

Options
I have been an off and on running for 10 years now. I have been experiencing bad chafing in my inner thigh and it hurts to even walk after a good run. I was in the military and got chafing so bad it bleed down both my legs, on one of my road marches. Needless to say i have bad scars on my inner thighs due to past chafing and it makes it 10 times more painful, any tips on how to approach this matter? I wear cotton boxers and loose basketball shorts when I run, if that is any help. I love running but don't want to experience pain everytime either.

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    There's a great product called Glide that helps a lot. I think Gilette puts it out, but not sure. I've gotten it at drugstore.com in the past, but probably most drug stores have it.
  • JHB2011
    JHB2011 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    When I bought my new sneakers, I got a whole bunch of free samples with it.
    I got a "liquid to powder anti-chaff" sample. I haven't tried it, but I'm sure you can get it at a sporting goods store around you.
    Also, what about trying those Under Armour boxers? They're tight so that might help too?
  • briabiggles
    briabiggles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wear compression shorts and use Body Glide.
  • hannahwrnr
    hannahwrnr Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This may be weird, and I'm sure that running stores have something like it that is actually for running, but my doctor told me to use diaper rash cream when I was younger. (I was way overweight and my thighs rubbed together all the time). It helped a lot. I guess it wouldn't really help during a run though, more for after...
  • trail_rnr
    trail_rnr Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    My hubby wears these under his running shorts:

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/?l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-158913/pgid-158912

(they make a shorter version as well)

He won't run without them. Give it a try!
  • dHowe4406
    Options
    I chaff, and almost as bad as you. What I found that works for me is bicycle shorts.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Im not a runner by any means. However, I do a lot of double shifts at work which entails being on my feet all day walking and occasional sprints. Cotton is the worst in my opinion. I wear running briefs. I believe they are made of polyester. With the moister wicking technology. They work best. Haven't experienced chafing in a long time since switching. I wear them every day at work. Walmart (Starter is the brand name) has various types that work well at decent prices. Then Under Armour and those brands of course. Other guys at work also swear body Body Glide. Comes in like a deoderant stick container but is strictly for anti-chafing.
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    My buddy who works with me was in the Marines and went through a very similar situation with the chafing so bad he bled. He swears by Body Glide. I meant to pick some up at Sports Authority the other day and totally forgot.
  • csrussell
    Options
    As already posted, Body Glide works very well. You can also use plain old petroleum jelly (e.g., vaseline). Try Vaseline "Lip Therapy". It comes in a small tube as it is intended to be used as lip balm, but it is basically the same stuff and the small tube is great for carrying on a run and reapplying, as needed, during the run.

Good luck.
  • GoArmy867
    Options
    Thanks everyone for great advice and responses i look forward to running chafe free very soon!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Tight shorts and tea tree powder are my weapons in the fight against chafing thighs.
    The tight shorts (like bike shorts) slide against each other so you don't get that skin-on-skin or lose-fabric-on-skin issue.
    And the tea tree powder gives a big of lubrication so you have less friction.

Good luck in finding a solution, I know how painful it can be. I'm still looking for a solution for under-bra chafing so I'm going to try to hunt out some body glide and see if that works.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Bodyglide or Under Armor boxer-brief running undies. Problem solved!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    BodyGlide or Aquafor. And good compression shorts. You'll be good to go.

I realize this is a repeat, but I like to call it "another vote."
  • southernyankee716
    Options
    Don't laugh- but Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel works better than anything "we've" tried. My husband swears by the stuff!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monistat-Chafing-Relief-Powder-Gel-Soothing-Care-1.5-oz/10293929
  • DanielleDavids
    DanielleDavids Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I used to get the worst chub rub too! Then I discovered the joys of knee-ish length compression shorts and body glide... even vaseline would work in a pinch! I hope that helps!!
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Don't laugh- but Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel works better than anything "we've" tried. My husband swears by the stuff!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Monistat-Chafing-Relief-Powder-Gel-Soothing-Care-1.5-oz/10293929

AGREED!!!!!!!!! We LOVE this stuff in our house!!!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Under Armour heat gear running shorts. Problem Solved.
  • Kgetshealthy
    Options
    Body Glide for sure.

Also, im sure your scars are pretty bad, but i'd start putting some aloe vera on it, it will help A TON with the pain and will help reduce the scarring. My boyfriend had the chafing pretty bad as well, and my grandmother gave him a fresh aloe vera leaf to rub on it. after a week, the wounds had closed and after three months the scaring has gone down significantly. I understand how painful it is, wishing you all the best!
  • dmf711
    dmf711 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Believe it or not, I swear by my regular underarm deodorant! I use Dove Go Fresh (it's a white solid stick) and just rub it between my thighs where they touch. It stops the sweat from accumulating AND helps the skin glide with no heat or irritation. You can probably use any type of deodorant solid stick (except gel) to get the same effect. This is my secret weapon when I have to wear a dress and Spanx for special occasions. Give it a shot before splurging on an item dedicated to runner's rash or the like. it might save you a couple of dollars!

Keep us posted on what winds up working for you :)
  • iloveseattle
    iloveseattle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You might want to try 'body glide'. You can get it at Sports Authority. It is for this exact problem.