Am I doing something wrong?

Options
I've been attending spin classes for about one month at approx 5 days a week. I recently upped it to 6 days and am incorporating a weight training regime into my day.

I feel like I am eating right and nourishing my body properly but I do not for the life of me understand why I cannot see any noticeable differences. I feel the muscle, it is there but under this layer of pudge that doesn't want to budge (except to jiggle). I have more than doubled my protein and am eating healthy carbs (not junk foods). I drink 100+oz of water per day as well so I know I'm retaining but my BF% hasn't moved and neither has the scale.

I would LOVE for someone to check my foodlog and let me know their opinion. I'm totally clueless. Beyond thanks.

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    So much chicken and rice. I remember the days. :sick: Excellent on a budget but I can't stand it anymore!

Anyway, your food looks fine. Do you do any refeed days? How long have you had the same routine? Have you gone to maintenance at any point? When I slow down I have to eat maintenance for a little while and then cut again. Just a few days help. Also, with only a few lbs left to lose, it comes of SO SLLLOOOOWWWLLLYYY.
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    it seems that you aren't properly nourishing your body. you have to big of a deficit most days. you need to come as close as possible to the calorie goal that MFP gives you, and if you are working out as much as you say you are, you need to eat your exercise calories.

i know, it sounds counter intuitive to eat to lose weight, but MFP is already giving you a big enough calorie deficit. so even if you eat your exercise calories, you are still under your goals for total energy expenditure.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Your workouts are great and your diaries have alot of variety.

Over the last week you have been "netting" less then 1,000 calories a day. That isn't enough, you need to eat more. Maybe add some snack thoughout the day. A "net" of 1350 calories per day would be a good start.

Good luck
    :flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Over the last week you have been "netting" less then 1,000 calories a day. That isn't enough, you need to eat more. Maybe add some snack thought out the day. I "net" of 1350 calories per day would be a good start.

Good luck

I was lazy and didn't look that far. :laugh: But I agree, and I have this problem. It's near impossible for me to eat enough with my schedule in the lab. Can't bring snacks in a sterile room lol :tongue: Consequently I hit roadblocks often, which is why I have a refeed day every week.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    So much chicken and rice. I remember the days. :sick: Excellent on a budget but I can't stand it anymore!

Anyway, your food looks fine. Do you do any refeed days? How long have you had the same routine? Have you gone to maintenance at any point? When I slow down I have to eat maintenance for a little while and then cut again. Just a few days help. Also, with only a few lbs left to lose, it comes of SO SLLLOOOOWWWLLLYYY.

Haha, SO cheap and I cook a bunch to eat over time since I work crazy shifts a work. I usually eat right around the same calories everyday. Yesterday was my "off" day and I tried to have a cheat meal but couldn't bring myself to truely do it. My brain is so trained now that I can't imagine eating more than I should :-\

I've been in this routine about a month now. I used MFP in the past, stopped, lost weight, gained it back, and now I'm back here again :)
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    it seems that you aren't properly nourishing your body. you have to big of a deficit most days. you need to come as close as possible to the calorie goal that MFP gives you, and if you are working out as much as you say you are, you need to eat your exercise calories.

i know, it sounds counter intuitive to eat to lose weight, but MFP is already giving you a big enough calorie deficit. so even if you eat your exercise calories, you are still under your goals for total energy expenditure.
    ^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Eat to goal daily, and that means eating back your exercise calories....
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

Over the last week you have been "netting" less then 1,000 calories a day. That isn't enough, you need to eat more. Maybe add some snack thought out the day. I "net" of 1350 calories per day would be a good start.

Good luck

Thank you & the guy :)

I feel like I'm CONSTANTLY eatting. Someone at work actually said to me "do you ever stop eating?!"...I eat frequently in small doses. I love eating...I just had a hard time with calories. I felt HORRIBLE when I noticed how much I ate at breakfast today. I shall eat more though.

I LOOOOVE my workouts. I'm a spin addict. I crave that place...better than craving beers and burgers.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

^^^^^^^
    THIS
    Eat to goal daily, and that means eating back your exercise calories....
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.

Any suggestions on what I should eat to healthily increase my calories?
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    You've got to throw those "diet myths" out the window.

You are working that body hard and it needs to be fueled. If you don't it will rebel and stall - No weight loss.

I personally don't like the "cheat meal" concept, it implies that you are doing something wrong and your not. I will never give up my pizza, chips etc. again been there, done that, couldn't maintain and got fat again. Nothing should be off limits, it's about portion control.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the last 2 diaries you have up and you have 500+ calories left.... You should be eating more.

I eat snacks every 2-3 hours throughout the day. Usually breakfast, lunch, snack, snack, dinner, snack.
  • LilMizDetermined
    LilMizDetermined Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Good luck

I was lazy and didn't look that far. :laugh: But I agree, and I have this problem. It's near impossible for me to eat enough with my schedule in the lab. Can't bring snacks in a sterile room lol :tongue: Consequently I hit roadblocks often, which is why I have a refeed day every week.

I understand! I am in college and some rooms do not allow anything in (EVEN WATER!!!). Honestly I was having the same problems. I was going off what MFP recommended and I found myself not losing anything and having headaches. I recommend adding HelloItsDan to your friends list. He is GREAT at computing what you should be eating. MFP said I was supposed to eat 1200... but I am actually supposed to eat NO LESS than 1340... with 1631 being my goal... and up to 2028 to still lose weight! I was so shocked! Since then I have been full, happy, and losing weight!!

I know it sounds weird, but try to eat back as much of your exercise calories as possible and hit those goals!! Feel free to add me :)
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Haha, SO cheap and I cook a bunch to eat over time since I work crazy shifts a work. I usually eat right around the same calories everyday. Yesterday was my "off" day and I tried to have a cheat meal but couldn't bring myself to truely do it. My brain is so trained now that I can't imagine eating more than I should :-\

I've been in this routine about a month now. I used MFP in the past, stopped, lost weight, gained it back, and now I'm back here again :)

Cheat meals are a must! Or even just more food than you'd normally eat. It doesn't have to be 'junk food' (although you'll start to miss it eventually hehe). I generally zig zag. Some days I'm in the lab for 8 hours straight, only eat breakfast and dinner, and net like 300 calories after my workout. So the next two days I try to eat a little more, and I always eat enough on the weekends.
  • YassSpartan
    YassSpartan Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everybody is saying, eating less doesn't necessarily means losing more weight, specially when you are working out so hard. Hopefully as soon as you adjust your diet you start seeing the results you're wanting. Best luck :flowerforyou:
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't know how you survive! If you want to see someone who eats all day long, take a look at my diary! :)
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    A Mc D cheeseburger is better than not eating to goal.
    Eat something you enjoy - a treat.

None of us got fat not knowing how to do that.
    Nuts are good and actually healthy.
  • _Shelley_
    Options
    Wow, I don't know how you survive! If you want to see someone who eats all day long, take a look at my diary! :)

Having people comment on the amount of food I eat does NOT help haha.
  • _Shelley_
    Options

This is all making me want to eat haha. Why must I work such stupid late shifts?!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

Having people comment on the amount of food I eat does NOT help haha.
    Sorry about that! I should be more sensitive. You'd think after 21 years of marriage I'd know better.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

This is all making me want to eat haha. Why must I work such stupid late shifts?!

You could invest in something like Larabars. Very natural and tasty. Or look up a recipe for homemade bars which are wayyy cheaper. I generally have time to inhale something small like a handful of seeds/almonds or fruit.