Anyone doing Zumba!?

Options
I've been wanting to do Zumba! I've heard so much about and it sounds fun. Plus, the amazing calorie burn and mood enhancer the promos say it causes. I bought the Wii game, but I'm not a dancer and am having a really hard time following it.

We got our tax money the other day, and there was a infomercial on the other night. So I thought I would spend a little money on myself for this weight loss journey. You get (I think) 7 DVDs which include step by step instructions, some hand weights, and some calendars and stuff.

Is anyone doing Zumba! to lose weight? Are you having any luck learning the steps, and losing weight with it?

Replies

• auntgoonie
    Options
    I really enjoy going to the classes to spend time meeting the other women and getting into the music! Ive been going since last may and have lost an additional 50 pounds in additon to my total loss of 87! It works! And its fun....give it a try but go to a class!!!
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba for 45 mins a day for the past 4 weeks and the more you do it the better you get. I have the Wii game. I am by no means a good dancer BUT I love my Zumba. Give it a couple weeks and you will slowly get the hang of it. I can not afford the whole system yet. Gonna get Zumba 2 as soon as my Amazon credit goes through! :)
  • tistal
    Options
    Oh and between that and 30 Day Shred I have lost 13.6lbs in 4 weeks!
  • tishonamarie
    tishonamarie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh and between that and 30 Day Shred I have lost 13.6lbs in 4 weeks!

I'm doing Zumba 3 days a week and plan to start 30 Day Shred. Looking forward to seeing a weight loss like that :-) Do you do the 30DS everyday or do you rotate on days you're not going to Zumba?
  • misty6may
    misty6may Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been doing Zumba at the gym 2 times a week and it has been working great for me (PLUS I LOVE DOING IT). I too also purchased the 7 dvds and just got them on Friday but haven't tried them yet. Husband got me the new Zumba game that came out today and I LOVE that too. It will take a while to get used to the different steps...I noticed but keep doing it. Our teacher at the Gym says.....Shake it and have a good time, then get the feet and then the hands. Hope that helps....JUST have FUN!
  • jwpe
    jwpe Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I just got my certificate to teach Zumba cause I love it so much! So much fun you barely notice you are exercising! If you go on the website Zumba.com it will list classes that are available all over the world. It is an easy way to find some to try.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do Zumba but it's through a class once a week...and it's awesome! I burn over 900 calories in one session (verified on the Zumba website) and i look forward to Monday's now because it's Zumba day!
  • ChristineW82
    ChristineW82 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
    Thanks for all the info and encouragement. I can't wait to get my DVDs set! I'll have to look for a class around here. Little town though with no gym :grumble: really sucks!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I have the dvd's with the toning sticks. I love it and it's a great way to get started it also comes with toning sticks that come in handy for Zumba Toning class. I ordered it off Amazon it's cheaper that way. I also have the game will be getting the 2nd one soon and go to classes every chance i get so yeah i guess i'm doing Zumba!
  • tistal
    Options
    I do them both everyday. Some days I will do 20 mins of Zumba then go straight into 30 DS and then do another 45 mins of Zumba later in the day. I really love Zumba! lol
  • zumbachelle
    zumbachelle Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    OOH I LOVE Zumba. I have been doing Zumba now once a week (or twice when i can afford it) since the end of September. I am eating well also but Zumba is the only "real" excercise I do. I have lost 39lbs, still have 75lbs to go and zumba is going to help me. I wear a heart rate monitor and burn 965 calories from one class. PLUS I have an absolute blast doing it. My zumba instructor likes me too because I am big and don't let it stand in my way. Give it a go, it doesn't matter if you are not the best dancer in the world just jump and shake about in time with the music and you'll be burning calories and FAT!!!! Good luck.
  • loftus2005
    Options
    I too love my ZUMBA!!! I can't say Ive seen any specific results because of it though... It does take sometime to get the steps and moves down. Im 5'7" weigh 150 and in one hr of straight Zumba I burn between 400-500 calories according to my HRM. Be careful of logging it into the MFP exercise data thing though, its always WAY higher than what you really burn! :)
  • calgarychick2012
    calgarychick2012 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have the dvds too but decided to do a class, dong zumba gold which is the beginners class the instructor takes time going through the steps the first couple of classes wee lots of repitition but the intensity has increased and it is a super workout
  • lme0627
    lme0627 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have done Zumba -just started back. I take the classes at the gym but also have DVD's and also Xbox game. I like the group classes the best. I wanted to tell you I got 2 sets of DVD's used- paid 20. for each for sets. Check Craigs List, you might be able to save some money.

It is a good work out- you will enjoy it.
  • lorij1989
    Options
    I do the class and DVDs and it all works and i feel great and it has contributed to my weight loss.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time at my gym back home! Most of the people in the class are older women, so needless to say nobody really cares who does the steps right. As long as you're moving! It's a blast and a great workout.
  • amanday88
    Options
    Love Zumba its a really good work out and its fun! I think you will enjoy it! I have the dvd's and there great especialy the abs one!
  • flabtofab14
    Options
    On my pinterest I am following a board of zumba videos from youtube. I barely started last week so my goal is to do about 3 or 4 videos that equal about 25 minutes. Ive always loved dancing cumbias, merengue..etc so i am able to keep up with the videos fairly easy. Im hoping to work my way up to an hour but so far I am loving it, i am already seeing results!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for 3weeks. In the last week I lost 2lbs. I am following mfp eating back most of my calories if I feel like it. If I were you I wouldn't buy the dvds. Just go to youtube and make a playlist of songs/dances you like. I did. There's actually alot of them on there that are really good with better music than on the dvds. You can buy the weights too. I have weighted gloves so I wear those. I am doing zumba to kill two birds with one stone. I wanted to learn to dance and to lose weight. I've noticed my tummy is flatter since I started. There's lots of ab work in zumba.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it and most of the moves get easier with practice...only one I still struggle with is the Brazilian samba. However I modify and keep on dancing anyways :) After you learn a few moves, then you can go out to Salsa club and get your groove on!