sick of belly fat!

Options
I'm just getting very frustrated with not being able to lose my belly quick enough even though I've lost about 4 kgs (approx 9 pounds) overall. I'm doing crunches and ab exercises for about 10 minutes a day. Should I increase it? any recommendations on a great tummy workout?
Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Super323
    Options
    I have the same problem..belly fat!
  • calana
    calana Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce. You could do 1,000 crunches everyday and while you will be helping build muscle, the only way to get rid of belly fat is to lower your overall body fat percentage.
  • Dexy_
    Dexy_ Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    NO SUCH THING AS SPOT REDUCING. As much as it sucks, it's true. Once your body fat % is down, you can tone areas so they look tighter, but you can't flatten your stomach by doing crunches/squats unless you shift the fat by eating correctly and exercising.
  • snkoyle15
    Options
    i have the SAME problem!!! over the past 4 years or so, i have lost 30lbs, but im still in the same size of pants because of my stupid belly/pooch fat! it drives me nuts!
  • NavyWifeag
    NavyWifeag Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you, your belly is the last place you will see results if it is you primary problem area. I feel ya. My belly is a mess after having kids. My problem area use to be my thighs, now it's the baby gut!
  • SwimKitty
    SwimKitty Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I found this an interesting read - especially the recommendations - will try to institute the changes and see what happens..

http://drhyman.com/new-study-finds-secret-to-a-faster-metabolism-8363/?utm_source=Publicaster&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=drhyman newsletter issue #54&utm_content=Get+the+story

Good luck!
  • vanilakitten
    vanilakitten Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    That sucks to know! haha
    I guess I'll just continue with my regular workouts and HOPE that my tummy goes in too
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think ab exercises are the worst way to lose belly fat. IMO, I would stick to weight lifting and cardio. At then end of the day, all you need to do is lower your body fat % to get rid of belly fat. Unfortunately for me, it's the first place I gain weight and the last place I lose it! Good luck on yours 2012 Goals!
  • vanilakitten
    Options
    Sorry if this sounds dumb, but lowering body fat % is basically losing the extra weight by working out n eating right?
  • thebestbrian
    Options
    yes that's correct. great job so far btw.
  • jazzykay1971
    Options
    Belly fat is lost in the kitechen, not really through exercise. Watch what you eat and your carb and sugar intake.
  • patch06
    Options
    Belly fat ap aese hi lose nahi kar sakte vanila 'billi'. Yeh satya hai ki jab ap overall weight lose kareinge tab hi belly saath saath kam hoti jayegi! Hum apke saath hain! Mujhe haans haans ke apne post par maza aa raha hai!!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I think it all boils down to patience. We have abused our bodies by filling it full of fast food and other junk that we were never meant to eat. So it takes time to get it out of the system, for the body to adjust to new healthy foods, plus keeping up with cardio and weight training will get you to your goals. Thats what Im hoping for anyway.
  • vanilakitten
    Options
    I think it all boils down to patience. We have abused our bodies by filling it full of fast food and other junk that we were never meant to eat. So it takes time to get it out of the system, for the body to adjust to new healthy foods, plus keeping up with cardio and weight training will get you to your goals. Thats what Im hoping for anyway.

That's true. I was thinking about all the damage I did to myself hogging all that chocolate and junk food in college. So I guess making all that go away quickly isn't possible :) I need to stay patient! Thanks :)
  • jfluchere
    jfluchere Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I would try elimating wheat and sugar for a test run.
  • amczapp
    Options
    It's the last place I lose the weight as well, just think, it took years to put the weight on and to get it off it is going to take years to get there with being healthy. Only other drastic measures are going cause serious health risks. I think for men in order to see any ab muscle definition body fat has to be below 12%. There is always the tape worm method, but that is going to gross out most people.
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i dance. just normal regular however the music moves u dancing. 20 min a day. i've noticed my tummy pooch has shrunk quite considerable. i sorta focus on my tummy when i dance like keeping it tight and do moves that i can feel is working my tummy. but for most part i just dance. and its working good on my thighs as well. lol hope this helps.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would try elimating wheat and sugar for a test run.
    That only assuming if she is sensitive.
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    "Abs are built in the kitchen". :D Throw out the special "core exercises" such as crunches and just focus on training your whole body...a lot of exercises not specifically done for your abs already engage the abdomen region.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    No secret, lower your BF. Takes time since that fat, also known as "stubborn fat" is the hardest one to remove.
    Clean diet and time will do it :-)