Reading With Your Kids

Options
13»

Replies

• TinaDay1114
    TinaDay1114 Posts: 1,328 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about with my son...since he's hearing-impaired & we didn't find out until the summer before he started Kindergarten; he's behind in his speech development and reading skills. He gets frustrated so easily that I was really pleasantly surprised he took time to sound out the words he didn't know last night. I want him to enjoy reading and not view it as a chore, like his dad does. I'm hoping if we keep up with the reading together he'll get there.

Hang in there -- my husband had a hearing deficit as a child, and was told he might as well just be a "garbage man" in elementary school b/c they thought he was dumb. He didn't learn to sound out words b/c he couldn't hear some of the sounds to begin with, so phonics was impossible. He learned to read word by word instead, and once he found a teacher that understood his issue, he took off.

I think reading with your son one on one will do wonders for him. And because you're already thinking about it (and WANTING him to love reading and find it "easy" and not "a chore"), you're already way ahead of the game. Way to go, MOM!
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    I'm worried about with my son...since he's hearing-impaired & we didn't find out until the summer before he started Kindergarten; he's behind in his speech development and reading skills. He gets frustrated so easily that I was really pleasantly surprised he took time to sound out the words he didn't know last night. I want him to enjoy reading and not view it as a chore, like his dad does. I'm hoping if we keep up with the reading together he'll get there.

My daughter enjoys reading but has a hard time processing what she reads sometimes. And she has a hard time picking something that will hold her interest. Any book, short story, etc. ideas for a 10 year old girl in 4th grade?

I have a boy so I just asked him what the girls in his class like to read and he said, "girl books." :laugh: Then he said Amber Brown books (and books with feet on them, whatever the heck that means!)
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    Some of my best memories are reading books with my dad as a kid. Every night, he would read us a chapter of one of the Boxcar Children books. People - read with your children!! Even if they hate to read, people love to be read to.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I love it too. I read several books to my 3 1/2 year old every night. I love it when he "reads" books to me that he has memorized (and does the voices, too!). Most of our books are ones we got when my 16 year old daughter was young, and that also brings back fond memories.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

My daughter enjoys reading but has a hard time processing what she reads sometimes. And she has a hard time picking something that will hold her interest. Any book, short story, etc. ideas for a 10 year old girl in 4th grade?

I have a boy so I just asked him what the girls in his class like to read and he said, "girl books." :laugh: Then he said Amber Brown books (and books with feet on them, whatever the heck that means!)

LOL!!!! I'm sure my son would say the same thing! :laugh:
  • Maria_81
    Maria_81 Posts: 152
    Options
    Great topic! Yes, I love reading to my daughter who I got started at 4 years old. She loves books so much, that she sleeps with them and even wakes up at night to read. Reading is a great way to bond and a such a precious gift to give your child. I'm so glad I didn't wait for her to learn to read in school, she's a straight A student!