How to still lose weight whilst exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• tayloni1
    Options
    Hi, just on a side note how are you finding the Kettleworx I have just got some KB's and am looking for a suitable program.
  • chardondave
    Options
    Hi Caroline,

In reading through this post, it seems to me you are doing everything pretty much correctly! You are exercising, losing weight, losing inches....thats great!
    Its hard to really get into the numbers w/o knowing your current height/weight - not sure if I overlooked them or not.

Here's hopefully some inspiration. Ive been doing Power 90 routinely and using MFP to count my calories. Ive been doing everything "right" but recently ran into a TWO WEEK wall in which I went back and forth by 2 pounds. It was very frustrating, but I know it was a combination of increased muscle and water retention.
    As long as you are losing weight or inches, I wouldnt worry about it. Concentrate on eating a healthy diet of lean protein and tons of veggies and you'll get the results you want if you are doing regular exercise.

The only thing I could possibly suggest is moderately upping your water intake and combine that with a week of eating non-processed foods you prepare at home, again....lean protein+veggies. See if you can flush some excess sodium out and see if that is the culprit. Be careful though....you dont want to flush out too much potassium.

Hope that helps....again, it sounds like you are doing great! Dont get discouraged.
  • thesuperchunk
    Options
    I'm in a similar position - I want to lose maybe another 10-15 lbs (not a load, I know) and I don't really because I'm gaining a lot of muscle. I just figure that long term eating and exercising right I will lose the weight. Maybe it will take a year instead of a few months but since we are happy with the body changes anyway taking a little longer isn't a big deal.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat with you . Am exercising every day (otherwise sedentary) and eat a pretty healthy diet, low cholesterol, low fat, low sodium. My weight loss went to 0=ZERO the last few weeks, just since I've upped exercise. I've tried to stick to a 40-40-30 (Protein-Carbs-Fat) ratio, drink a lot of water or herbal teas....NOTHING! Yes, I've lost 1 inch during the last 2 weeks but not a single pound. I thought, maybe it's water retention because the more you exercise the more glycogen your body has to store and in order to do that it needs water. But I'm not sure. Waiting for other posters/opinions
    The OP's diary is closed, but yours is not.
    You are not eating enough - deficits too high.
    It looks like you're not eating your exercise calories back. That will stifle progress every time.
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

This is because MFP advising us to eat back those exercise calories.
    Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
    Think long term, and be wise.
    Exercise intensely, but eat back the calories.
    The exercise will RAISE your metabolism and burn more fat at rest.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water?? 64 ounces a day might not be enough if you are engaging in vigorous physical activity.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    For good, steady and healthy weight loss, metabolism is key. We need to keep it rev'd up to burn fat.
    Sometimes, we seem to be doing everything right, then hit the dreaded "plateau" where the body has reached a state of equilibrium. So, how do we punch through?
    You change up your whole program to keep your body guessing. That works as a proactive measure, yet in most cases people experiencing a plateau have overreached and are not eating enough.
    Are you following the MFP recommendations for healthy weight loss?
    This is how MFP works
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/help/faq/3-how-does-myfitnesspal-work

And Tips for Newbies
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/470367-tips-for-newbies

If you are on some other program, get off that sinking ship and get to what works. Follow the simple MFP guidelines.
    Just get started by going into settings to Update diet/fitness profile.
    Set your goals for 1 lb weight loss per week.
    NO MORE!
    And eat lean meats, low fat dairy, nuts, whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies.
    Do both cardio and resistance exercise.
    AND EAT BACK YOUR EXERCISE CALORIES!
    Remember, this is not a race, and you can reach your goals if you stick to a good plan as recommended on this site.

You have many people here ready to lend support, answer qustions and discuss any challenges.
    You can do this.

All Is Possible!
  • BellydanceBliss
    Options
    The man is right...I lost 2 lbs last week because i ate back almost all exercise calories for the week previous. This even with pms water gain so i have gained nothing from period weight. I lift weights and started kettlebell as well as cardio things.

I'm in the same boat with you . Am exercising every day (otherwise sedentary) and eat a pretty healthy diet, low cholesterol, low fat, low sodium. My weight loss went to 0=ZERO the last few weeks, just since I've upped exercise. I've tried to stick to a 40-40-30 (Protein-Carbs-Fat) ratio, drink a lot of water or herbal teas....NOTHING! Yes, I've lost 1 inch during the last 2 weeks but not a single pound. I thought, maybe it's water retention because the more you exercise the more glycogen your body has to store and in order to do that it needs water. But I'm not sure. Waiting for other posters/opinions
    It looks like you're not eating your exercise calories back. That will stifle progress every time.
    MFP determined our total daily calorie goal that DOES NOT include exercise to lose 1 pound [recommended].
    And after we complete an exercise and log it in, our daily calorie limit increases.

Large deficits are not recommended, because while you will lose weight, what's the quality of the weight loss?
    In that healthy?
    What happens is decreased lean body mass - MUSCLE - which LOWERS metabolic rate, making weight loss even harder.

The quick loss, low-calorie diets may do wonders on the front end, but once the diet is over, you have a body that burns calories more slowly -- and you gain weight.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    People remember that WEIGHT is a number that is totally meaningless without other statistics, if you're getting leaner and healthier but not losing weight then whats the problem?!?!? Seriously I don't understand peoples fascination with this number!

Consider it a good thing because rapid weight loss without rapid toning and muscle gain = saggy skin

I agree. While it's always nice (ok, great!) to see a lower number on the scale, nobody knows your weight number by looking at you, but they know if you look more toned and tight and if your clothes fit great.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more calories. 1200 is not enough for you.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I know that it's not just about weight loss, didn't I say in my first post that "I might just be stuck with them as they are, which as long as I'm losing inches too is fine". As I said, losing inches is great but if I can lose some lbs too, then I want to which isn't a ridiculous thing to want, at all. I know that it'll help me look more toned and therefore better once the weight is off but that doesn't mean that I can't hope for slightly better losses. I just did my WI and I've lost 1.25lbs this week, I'm alright with that. It's not a huge number but that's fine, it's the 0.5lbs that I get annoyed/disappointed with.

I'd understand where you were coming from if you didn't inform me that you are losing inches, you know you're making progress yet you still want another number to confirm this for you? It's not a very healthy attitude to have and it's undermining your progress which from the sounds of things is going great! I know you want both but it's really meaningless

You are right nut...yet...we girls need something to cling to, even if it's only a number:bigsmile:
    No, honestly, everything here on MFP has to do with THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE. We're being told the number has to be "x" to be healthy, BMI, BMR, TDEE and so on. If you're working towards a goal it is so much easier to stick to numbers. And I'm one of the girls who needs the number on the scale to confirm we're doing the right thing. We DO know, that losing inches is great, we DO know....but.......
    When you have been overweight almost all of your life and now, finally you want to change your lifestyle AND lose weight than you will be looking at THE NUMBERS, that's what your parents and doctors told you all the time.
    I was told today my cholesterol is down significantly. I needed this number to be reassured I'm on the right track. Just feeling healthier wasn't enough, not for me.
  • bea10989
    Options
    ahhhh
    i'm 22 5'3 and 140-138lbs (depending on time of day)
    i eat a healthy 12-1400 cals a day and workout 4-5 times a week with biking, running, jumping rope, and lifting. i've been the same weight for the last 4 years and can't seem to lose anything but motivation.

any suggestions... i'm open to anything
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Depending on how much you have to lose, .5 to .75 lbs per week is not bad. In fact, it's pretty great if you are losing inches at the same time. You are likely losing more slowly because you are not losing as much muscle now as before you started the strength training, and despite all the silly arguements about it on here, muscle really does weigh more (i.e. is heavier) than fat.

If you want to lose weight more quickly, stop working your muscles so hard and you'll lose some of them too which will show a greater weight loss on the scale. Otherwise keep up the good work and rejoice in the tape measure losses and don't even step on the scale.
  • CnocNaCu
    CnocNaCu Posts: 536 Member
    Options

In that healthy?

Thank you very much for your honest opinion. I 've opened my diary so that people can see..if I'm doing anything wrong, dietwise. I thought that not only the number (calories) is important but also WHAT I eat. I don't eat processed food and always make sure I meet the vit and min targets. But you might be right: I'm not eating enough. What about my age? Do I have to take that into my calculations? I thought I better eat less because I'm not a 20-something any more :blushing:
    Ok, I have decided: I will up my calories and give myself 4 weeks. Should I gain weight then I will stop this experiment. I'll keep you posted:flowerforyou:
  • inge88
    inge88 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Thank you very much for your honest opinion. I 've opened my diary so that people can see..if I'm doing anything wrong, dietwise. I thought that not only the number (calories) is important but also WHAT I eat. I don't eat processed food and always make sure I meet the vit and min targets. But you might be right: I'm not eating enough. What about my age? Do I have to take that into my calculations? I thought I better eat less because I'm not a 20-something any more :blushing:
    Ok, I have decided: I will up my calories and give myself 4 weeks. Should I gain weight then I will stop this experiment. I'll keep you posted:flowerforyou:

Good luck to you! Good idea to stick with it for 4 weeks - you are likely to see a little gain in the first 1-2 weeks, but after that it will come off twice as fast! There is a great thread on the forum about eating more to lose more, in case you're interested in other people's experiences:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/395881-people-who-lost-weight-eating-more
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I can understand that's it's frustrating, but if my maths are right you've lost 5 pounds in four weeks PLUS youve lost inches.
    It sounds to me as though you are doing a great job, if you keep it up you'll be looking even more fabulous soon :smile:

For me, the best thing has been to chart my weight loss monthly - then it is much easier to see the trend and the numbers have more significance. But, it takes patience and persistence!