Advice on late night snacking!

Options
What are some of your ways of avoiding late night snacking? I'm trying super hard to get back on track and this is a problem that I've had for many years and old habits die hard. I'm trying to change that so any advice is much appreciated!

Replies

• gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I find that brushing my teeth after dinner helps... Easiest way to avoid is to get your sleep on time. make a resolution to yourself that late-snacking is bad! hope it helps
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    What are some of your ways of avoiding late night snacking? I'm trying super hard to get back on track and this is a problem that I've had for many years and old habits die hard. I'm trying to change that so any advice is much appreciated!
    Change the time in which you eat. When you're hungry eat, when you're not don't eat. Look at children, they only eat when they hungry. However as adults we "evolve" into eating multiple meals. How interesting...

It's all about calories vs calories out. Meal timing for the most part means nothing. I consume around 70% of my daily calories before bed, and I am currently dropping weight.
  • gerimydske
    Options
    I too am having a snacking battle, and I believe it is sagotaging my prgress of losing weight!!!! I welcome ANY suggestions too!!!!!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I try to make sure I have some extra calories so I can have a light snack before I go to bed. If you're hungry you won't sleep well.
  • Jonni86
    Jonni86 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I get the urge to snack in the evening (which is usually every night) I make sure I buy enough low fat snacks to keep me going.

My favorites are:

a celery stick dipped in low fat cottage cheese and chives (roughly 35 calories)
    1 large snack-a-jack (low fat rice cracker) (41 calories)
    2 rich tea biscuits. (72 calories)

Green tea before and after meals also keeps me feeling fuller
  • Kerith70
    Kerith70 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Go to bed if it is LATE night snacking! Why stay up and torture yourself?
  • gerimydske
    Options
    Green tea? Hot or cold?
  • Mmmporkrinds
    Options
    Sometimes people feel hungry at that hour because they haven't had enough of something - natural fats, proteins, carbohydrates or so on - during the day. So if you make sure each time you eat it has enough of those things, it's possible that you won't feel you need to snack late at night, because you're genuinely not hungry or peckish or whatever. If you feel comfortable with it, it's helpful if you can make your food diary visible to others because it might be easier to give specific advice that way. Good luck!
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Green tea? Hot or cold?

it doesn't matter as long as it's brewed green tea, don't add anything to it if you can help it (don't go for the jug of "green tea" it's all chemicals and sweeteners and defeats the purpose)
  • hailz840
    hailz840 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    go to bed earlier
  • iamsam373
    Options
    I started snacking on sugar free jello which is only 10 calories and pickles which have 0-5 calories. I also drink a lottt of water and tea.
  • velofille
    velofille Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just save myself 200-300 calories because i KNOW i can't sleep with an empty stomach. Then i have a couple slices of toast with a cup of tea before bed or similar :)
  • KarenBoster
    KarenBoster Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A lot of times I can stop late night snack attacks by having something to drink. Sometimes it ends up you are actually thirsty. Your body just registers it as hunger. Any time I have the urge to eat, I drink a glass of water first. In a few minutes, if I am still hungry I eat something.
  • ludogx87
    ludogx87 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    i try and lower my calories during the day so that i can have a wee snack later on at night if im craving one,
    or sometimes hold off having my dinner till a little later so that im eating later in the night and less likley to snack,

but im no angel sometimes a wee biscuit is what i need with ma tea before bed :)
  • MrsSassyPants
    MrsSassyPants Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I eat 100-300 calories almost every night an hr. or 2 before bed. I sleep better feel better and have enough calories to do so. I also am losing weight. Usually a bowl of cereal or cottage cheese...maybe even a sandwich.
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    Thanks all for your input! Feel free to add me. :)