Intermittent Fasting

Replies

• stef827
    stef827 Posts: 215 Member
    Anyone know if it is ok to use the I.F. method while breastfeeding? Any research/experience would be great to know. Thanks
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Anyone know if it is ok to use the I.F. method while breastfeeding? Any research/experience would be great to know. Thanks

Talk to your doctor plz!

And hats off to the guy bringing the Martin Berkhan pic in!
    This made my night!
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    ok some people don't like what I said... lol but good for you!! Here are some reasons why you should not INTERMITTENTFAST

A Supplecity site visitor asked about "intermittent fasting," after having read about its many wonders on various blogs and postings written by people with credentials completely unrelated to diet and fat reduction.

The idea behind this is you starve your body of calories just long enough to tap your fat stores but not long enough to trigger your body's starvation defenses. Looking at it from just this perspective, it would appear to be just the thing for a person who wants a magic bullet for losing fat. It's not.

This practice has several serious shortfalls. For starters, it reduces nutrient absorption, causes insulin swings, and plays hell with your kidneys. If you want to go into a coma or wind up on dialysis, this approach is perfect. Otherwise, stay away. It's Dangerous (notice the capital D there?).

Let's step back a moment and look at the bigger picture. If your goal is to "lose weight," then of course mindlessly reducing calories for a short enough period that you don't go into the low-metabolism, calorie conserving mode makes sense.

But, that's not a sensible goal. A sensible goal is fat reduction. And that is hugely different (no pun intended) from weight loss. And so are the consequences. After all, you can lose weight very quickly by having your limbs amputated. Do you think a runner who wants to go faster should lose weight by such a method? Of course not. And it doesn't make sense for anyone else.

You can lose weight by losing lean tissue, and most weight loss methods result in that. What you really want to do is lose excess fat, because that's how you get rid of a root cause of disease.

Nobody has ever gone to a doctor and heard, "Well, your arteries are clogged because you have too much lean mass." No, the problem is the excess body fat.

That excess fat comes from too many calories. But simply cutting calories doesn't fix the fat problem. There's a bit more to it than that.

Your body needs a certain amount of calories each day to:

Maintain healthy bone and muscle.
    Maintain healthy organs.
    Maintain adequate brain functioning.
    Further, you cannot build new muscle on a restricted calorie diet. This means that, for sustainable leanness and fat loss, this diet works against you by inhibiting muscle growth.

Your body also needs a certain level of fiber flow through the digestive system to reduce cancer risk and generally detoxify your system.

When you go on intermittent fasting, all of this stops.

You stop building new muscle, which means you reduce the amount of fat you burn just by sleeping. You will, in fact, lose muscle. And why on earth would you want to risk your job by showing up with a brain that isn't firing on all cylinders? Do you want to drive a car on our dangerous roads in that condition?

This diet, like all other "silver bullet" diets, ignores fundamental principles and tries to get something for nothing.

If you want to reduce your body fat, you will find out how to safely and effectively do that in our other fat loss articles. Go here to see what they are: Weight loss and fat loss articles.

Some general principles of fat loss are as follows:

Get adequate nutrition. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this?

Eat six meals a day. Did you notice that the intermittent fasting method violates this, also?

Control your portion size to limit calories to what your body needs to maintain lean tissue, based on your lean tissue composition and activity level.

Avoid or eliminate highly processed foods.
    If you follow just those four principles, you will see your body fat level go to well within the "Look at that tight bod!" level. Yes, there's more you can do to fine tune things and get really "cut." And maybe you would like more information on the details of doing so.

But it you just follow these four principles, you will get results. You won't need to experiment with a health-challenging, unsustainable, uncomfortable practice like fasting. Intermittently or otherwise.

13446004.jpg

WIN!
  • fubar2us
    fubar2us Posts: 43 Member
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=56326

Ok, not completely on topic but it sticks close to it for 6 pages. Very good read with more Facts and research than BroScience.
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    I was both surprised and amused by this, and the articles on it being a 'healthy' way to promote weightloss. As someone with a diagnosed eating disorder; fasting was how I lost most my weight. It takes psychological strength. And it works - if you want to lose bloat and water weight.
    You eat something after a fast, and it feels bad. Not only that, it's very, very difficult to control your eating - and I find this undoes any of the good stuff. Including the weight lost. Often you'll find that perhaps eating nothing has shrunk your stomach a bit; you get full faster, but the next day you wake up ravenous and, I found at least, often uncontrollable.

I wouldn't recommend it. I also found it highly addictive. You start with one day fasts, and I ended up being able to managed four to five day fasts, where you can barely walk up a street and can't manage stairs at all.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    I was both surprised and amused by this, and the articles on it being a 'healthy' way to promote weightloss. As someone with a diagnosed eating disorder; fasting was how I lost most my weight. It takes psychological strength. And it works - if you want to lose bloat and water weight.
    You eat something after a fast, and it feels bad. Not only that, it's very, very difficult to control your eating - and I find this undoes any of the good stuff. Including the weight lost. Often you'll find that perhaps eating nothing has shrunk your stomach a bit; you get full faster, but the next day you wake up ravenous and, I found at least, often uncontrollable.

I wouldn't recommend it. I also found it highly addictive. You start with one day fasts, and I ended up being able to managed four to five day fasts, where you can barely walk up a street and can't manage stairs at all.

Kritterxx - I'm sorry, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. You are right that someone with an eating disorder trying to live an IF lifestyle - not a good idea and would/could trigger ED behaviors. But for someone else who does NOT have an ED, having a daily fasting "window" or fasting for 24 hours once or twice a week can be a good thing. Just like any other way of eating, it doesn't work for everyone, and no one here has said it is the be all or end all...

I hope you stay strong and fight against your ED, Kritter. Best of luck to you!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,900 Member

Kritterxx - I'm sorry, but you're comparing apples to oranges here. You are right that someone with an eating disorder trying to live an IF lifestyle - not a good idea and would/could trigger ED behaviors. But for someone else who does NOT have an ED, having a daily fasting "window" or fasting for 24 hours once or twice a week can be a good thing. Just like any other way of eating, it doesn't work for everyone, and no one here has said it is the be all or end all...

I hope you stay strong and fight against your ED, Kritter. Best of luck to you!

^^ agreed!! If you have an eating dissorder than this is not for you sweetie. Go and get some help and take care of yourself :flowerforyou:
  • kritterxx
    kritterxx Posts: 100 Member
    I guess I just can't wrap my head around it, good luck to all who try it, and I hope you get positive results (:
  • This sounds interesting but if your working out at the same time is drinking water allowed?
  • blueham5
    blueham5 Posts: 67 Member
    Is it really necessary to quote a huge wall of text and then reply with an unamusing one liner/pic? The bodybuilding.com forums are THAT way.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Is it really necessary to quote a huge wall of text and then reply with an unamusing one liner/pic? The bodybuilding.com forums are THAT way.
    Yuo mad?

I had to do it.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    I use Eat Stop Eat. I do two 24 hour fasts a week. I have been doing this for 5 weeks and have lost about 4kg's after having not lost much at all for about a month. When I am not fasting I eat almost to maintenance, and do some cardio and strength training.

There are many many benefits to using the IF approach, and the science behind it is very sound. I would suggest checking out Eat Stop Eat or www.leangains.com to find out more.

Sorry to hear about your eating disorder. I personally have no issues with overeating after a fast. I find that I am less hungry overall but I still eat 'normally' and do not ever feel bad. In fact, I feel the opposite because I have created a caloric deficit through fasting and feel totally relaxed. It takes the pressure off you not having to "diet" every single day.

Unfortunately many people cannot be swayed on IF, because we have had the whole 6 meals a day thing drilled into us for so long it has become ingrained in most peoples psyche. I just hope that those who knock it have at least done an adequate amount of research and are not just repeating things they've heard in diet/fitness circles.
  • rsmithy89
    rsmithy89 Posts: 174 Member
    I do it and love it.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    I personally have no issues with overeating after a fast. I find that I am less hungry overall but I still eat 'normally' and do not ever feel bad. In fact, I feel the opposite because I have created a caloric deficit through fasting and feel totally relaxed. It takes the pressure off you not having to "diet" every single day.

Unfortunately many people cannot be swayed on IF, because we have had the whole 6 meals a day thing drilled into us for so long it has become ingrained in most peoples psyche. I just hope that those who knock it have at least done an adequate amount of research and are not just repeating things they've heard in diet/fitness circles.

This is my finding too... I overeat almost always after coming off a fast but the fullness I get in a short time and I mean FULL FULL beats eating all day! I just eat my 1500-2000 calories in five hours and sometimes some of my exercise calories.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    bump
  • Resalyn
    This sounds interesting but if your working out at the same time is drinking water allowed?

Most definitely - good consistent water intake is a must at all times!
  • Resalyn
    Today is my first 24-hour fast - noon today until noon tomorrow.....
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member

It is probably best to talk to your doctor, but he/she is most likely going to freak out on you unless they are familiar with IF.

I don't have any personal experience with breastfeeding and IF, but I would say that as long as you are getting enough calories overall and you have already established a good milk supply, it would be ok. I would only fast for 16h at most though. You could always try it. Again, make sure you are getting all your calories in and drinking plenty of liquids.
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member

It is probably best to talk to your doctor, but he/she is most likely going to freak out on you unless they are familiar with IF.

I don't have any personal experience with breastfeeding and IF, but I would say that as long as you are getting enough calories overall and you have already established a good milk supply, it would be ok. I would only fast for 16h at most though. You could always try it. Again, make sure you are getting all your calories in and drinking plenty of liquids.

This is where I would think timing of meals might be important (not a scientist, just guessing). If you are exclusively breastfeeding and your baby nurses every 2-3 hours, I would think you would need to eat regularly throughout the day...since your body is trying to produce milk and needing energy throughout the day. If you are like me and just nursing at night and first thing in the morning, it would probably be ok because your body is not constantly trying to produce milk. Again, just a guess...not a doctor here. Just a mother that is still nursing and has had milk supply issues in the past from not eating enough/skipping meals.