Runners - do as I say, not as I do!

Options
2»

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Love this! I did almost the same thing. Had a 10-mile run planned for this past Sunday. Didn't warm up or stretch at all, headed out the door, had never run in below-freezing weather before and 4.6 miles in my legs cramped up so bad I fell flat on my face. Had to head straight home, limping. Felt like a real dummy.

Hey, as long as you are handing out advice: I have a half marathon scheduled for this Sunday, and I fell off the training wagon for the last 2 weeks when I got sick. I am really nervous about getting out there this weekend and trying to run this sucker. I just did a half marathon on Jan 29, I considered that a practice run and was hoping for a PB this time, but I can't see trying to push myself when I am not on schedule. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to make 2012 injury-free! :-D

I'm not the OP of course, but my advice would be to run it but don't try for the PR. You can certainly finish, but maybe schedule one in a few months for your PR? OR PB, whatever you want to call it, heh. I tend to go for PR because PB makes me want peanut butter :). Which I advocate. I just already have 1-2 Tbsp a day, haha!
    This!

I don't know about you but I get scared I'll forget I can run after a break of more than a few days. You know you can do the distance for sure so you've got that under your belt. In a regular training plan, that two weeks would be a taper anyhow, so you might find you actually come back stronger. How about starting off steady, see how you feel half-way and if the rest has treated your legs well, go a wee bit faster and try for a negative split.

Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Love this! I did almost the same thing. Had a 10-mile run planned for this past Sunday. Didn't warm up or stretch at all, headed out the door, had never run in below-freezing weather before and 4.6 miles in my legs cramped up so bad I fell flat on my face. Had to head straight home, limping. Felt like a real dummy.

Hey, as long as you are handing out advice: I have a half marathon scheduled for this Sunday, and I fell off the training wagon for the last 2 weeks when I got sick. I am really nervous about getting out there this weekend and trying to run this sucker. I just did a half marathon on Jan 29, I considered that a practice run and was hoping for a PB this time, but I can't see trying to push myself when I am not on schedule. Anyone have any thoughts on this? I'm trying to make 2012 injury-free! :-D

I'm not the OP of course, but my advice would be to run it but don't try for the PR. You can certainly finish, but maybe schedule one in a few months for your PR? OR PB, whatever you want to call it, heh. I tend to go for PR because PB makes me want peanut butter :). Which I advocate. I just already have 1-2 Tbsp a day, haha!
    This!

I don't know about you but I get scared I'll forget I can run after a break of more than a few days. You know you can do the distance for sure so you've got that under your belt. In a regular training plan, that two weeks would be a taper anyhow, so you might find you actually come back stronger. How about starting off steady, see how you feel half-way and if the rest has treated your legs well, go a wee bit faster and try for a negative split.

Good luck!
    Another option would be to take more walk breaks which will not only rest your legs but allow you to run at a faster speed during your runs. If you normally run all or most of the distance, schedule yourself a one minute walk break every mile. At around mile 10, you can judge how things are going and either keep up the pace or just run the rest of the way if you're feeling good.