Food Log (when do you fill yours??)

Options
Hi all,
I'm new to MFP (day 2) and wondered if anyone added what they were GOING to eat (for example for their evening meal) in advance?? It would help knowing how many calories you have left for snacks/treats etc??
Last night I entered what I would have for my meals during today so I wouldn't get left short this evening. Evenings are
my danger time!!
Any tips?? Also any fave low cal snacks??
L xx:smile:

Replies

• dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    I usually do it in the morning or the night prior, and then change anything I need to as the day plays out.
  • leelafit_mtl
    leelafit_mtl Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Hey Grace, I basically always do this, in order to see how my day and calorie intake will look like if I eat this or that. I think it's a good way to plan your day!
  • coppercat25
    coppercat25 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hi!

It depends for me. I've been on here for a month and a half now so I'm more clued up on calorific values of foods so tend not to put food on in advance so much, but I think it is a really great idea. Plus you can take it off! Also when you select a food, there's a link that says 'nutritional value' so you can see if it is correct before you add it to your diary.

Low cal snacks, I've just discovered Nakd bars - 100 cal each and really scrummy! Also 1 of your 5 a day. Also like apples with a smidge of peanut butter, snacka jacks, fish sticks and no sugar jelly (around 3 kcal per pot!)

Ooo I just saw on your profile you're from Bedford, I'm down the road in milton keynes :) mind if I add you? I have an open diary so you can spy on my food, though I've not been doing great lately!
  • athensguy
    Options
    I usually add stuff when I prepare it. For my yogurt/fruit/granola snack this morning I added it last night. When I order from a non-chain restaurant, I wait til I get the food so I can guess at what to add.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    If I am going out to dinner...I usually do a lot of preplanning, look at menu's online ahead...and insert into my day...takes the stress out of it once I'm at the establishment and allows me to enjoy the time...while being able to plan the rest of the day.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    On Sunday I filled in meals for the whole week Monday-Friday for this week. I try to do that every week...planning makes the weight loss effort much easier that way you can incorporate your workouts as needed.
  • simplyliving
    Options
    I eat a hearty breakfast in the morning and I pack my lunch and snacks for work. I log everything including dinner early that way I know how many extra calories I need to burn if I have gone over a bit.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    it depends for me.. you can tell im not feeling it if i dont pre-plan!
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I usually do it in the morning or the night prior, and then change anything I need to as the day plays out.

I do this as well! And I sorta love it - I get excited and make a game out of sticking to what I've logged. Sometimes I'll do several days out if I have made a big meal that will last 3-4 dinners.
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I tend to do it throughout the day; I'm in college so I can hop online whenever and update. I have logged in advance when I brought my own lunch rather than buying on campus, and I just amend it if I only eat half or if I had to settle for something else instead. When I log at the end of the day I get anxious about how much exercise I might have to do to make up for overages.
  • ashleynicol3
    ashleynicol3 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    That's what I do - log it the night before as I'm getting my meals & snacks ready for work the next day, so I know how many calories I'd have left for dinner. I usually either log dinner ahead of time or know around about how many calories it's going to be so go ahead & eat, then log it after. I find myself weighing whether or not I want to eat something during the day because I like to keep my # high for dinner so I can eat something fulfilling, which sometimes works against me because then if I eat a low cal dinner, I'm too far under my goal. So it would prob be better if I planned dinner ahead of time too!!
  • ClareB13
    ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    If I know what I'm going to have then I figure I may aswell log in advance.
    Otherwise it's just as and when I eat it.
    In terms of low-cal snacks - blueberries are amazing, raw carrots too, weightwatchers do a range of snack size cake bars (I love the carrot cake one) for around 80 calories, I've also made up some sugar free hartley's jellies with tinned mandarins in and keep those in the fridge - around 40 calories each
  • hope516
    hope516 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I log for the day at the beginning! I eat 4 of my 5 meals at work...so I have to plan in advance!

My fav snacks right now are half a cup of pistachios 160 cals (filling and work)

or

plain greek yogurt with half a cup of frozen mixed berries 220 cals (nice and refreshing)

or

Cucumber with lime under a hundred and I get to eat a whole cucumber! (leave the skin on its more filling)
  • I honestly am going to have to start doing this myself. I find if I log AFTER I have eaten, I tend to go over my sodium intake and other things I am trying to avoid. So if I add my meals ahead of time to calculate what I am going to have that day, chances are I wont be going over anymore, unless I decide to have that extra added snack later on. Which shouldn't happen cause I'm pretty good at sticking to things I can SEE in front of me.

Think I am going to try it out, and hopefully it helps with my success.
    I guess the key is to just do what works for YOU! lol =)
  • gildinha
    gildinha Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm new too! and I've been having a hard time with that ... never though of actually logging it in advance ... what a brillant idea ... Thanks :)
  • strunkm4
    strunkm4 Posts: 266
    Options
    I log my days a couple days in advance, almost always a day in advance. It helps me know what I'm going to be cooking for dinner (easier to plan groceries!) and that way I know how many calories I have to spare a day! I'm a snacker, so I like to plan for snacks! If you look at my journal, you can probably see I have until Thursday for the most part filled out :)
  • cnsmith2
    cnsmith2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I never really know what I'm going to eat until it is actually sitting in front of me lol. I am usually filling mine out as I'm eating it or just after.... though if I'm going out to eat I tend to pre fill it to know if I have enough calories to cover what I want.
  • roander
    roander Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I almost always pre-fill in my day so I know if I need to add more exercise, or cut back on snacks or dinner BEFORE it's too late!
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Planning Planning Planning.. It keeps me from making costly mistakes. I input as much ahead of time as possible and adjust as necessary when I actually eat.
  • lalala06
    lalala06 Posts: 153
    Options
    i always pre log in the morning or sometimes the night before.. :blushing: