Spices

Options
Anyone have a couple spices that, in their house, just don't seem to last as long as they should? I mean, I bought a big cinnamon shaker at Christmas and I was using it this morning going... "I thought there was more in here!!!"

Other spices that don't seem to last long in my house are ground mustard, curry powder, garlic powder, and ground black pepper.

I'm looking for ideas for other spices... what do you use a lot of??? What do you use them for???

Replies

• mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    I always keep spices stocked in my house. So easy to add flavour without salt, butter and oil etc.

I love cinnamon, garlic powder, dried onions, paprika, herbs, pepper, cumin, steak spice, etc.
  • KatrinaCaroline
    KatrinaCaroline Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I sell Tastefully Simple so most of my spices come from there. I find that I use ALOT less of the garlic and onion salts.
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Oh, don't get me wrong - I have a spice TABLE (the cupboard can't hold everything... I'm sure I have one of every container off the grocery store shelf...), but I need ideas on what to make with some of the more obscure ones... I mean, I have tumeric, but I've only used it once in an East Indian dish (which, although tasty, was not very waistline friendly).
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Thyme
    Bay leaves
    Cumin
    Corriander
    Fennel seeds (mmm pizza!)
    Baking spice (blend from Penzeys)

I also use tons if fresh cilantro, basil, garlic, onion, and ginger!

Ooh, I forgot to add what I use them in! Bay leaves and thyme go in just about any meat dish, roasts, chicken soup, sauces, beans, etc. I buy huge bags of bay leaves from Penzeys and keep them in the freezer. Actually I buy most of my spices in bulk from there and store them in the freezer. Cheaper and tasty!

Cilantro, Corriander and cumin are great in Tex-mex. Enchiladas, Mexican beans, fresh salsa, tacos, fajitas.

Ginger and garlic are a must in and Asian dish. Also, cilantro and lime in Thai.
  • hsmithway
    Options

I go through a ton of Penzey's spice mixes. Chigaco Steak and the California Seasoned Pepper in particular. And I just finished a jar of their Jerk Chicken and Fish.

Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning

Other than those, I go through a ridiculous amount of minced garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options

I go through a ton of Penzey's spice mixes. Chigaco Steak and the California Seasoned Pepper in particular. And I just finished a jar of their Jerk Chicken and Fish.

Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning

Other than those, I go through a ridiculous amount of minced garlic, basil, oregano, and thyme.

I :heart: Penzey's! Getting those little boxes full of goodness make me giddy. Plus they almost always put some kind of freebie in my orders.