C25K

Options
I am starting this C25K 9 week program today...any suggestions or anyone else every done it?
Just not sure what I should be expecting.

Replies

• BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    If you use the search option you'll find dozens of threads full of answered questions, tips and success stories.

Here are all my beginner's running tip which include C25K, hope they help!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936
  • kriggs1976
    Options
    If you sue the search option you'll find dozens of threads full of answered questions, tips and success stories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/BerryH/view/20-things-i-wish-i-d-known-about-running-when-i-started-103936

Thanks!
  • msharp02
    msharp02 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 4 of C25K right now and loving it! I've never enjoyed running, but I like that I could start with brief periods of running and walking. I thought I might die during the 90-second running at first, but it gets easier! Best of luck to you!
  • flibberdajibbitt
    flibberdajibbitt Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've done this a couple of times....my only suggestion to you would be: Get a good pair of shoes! :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
  • I started it lastnight ! Clearly im in terrible shape! I did make it through the first workout though!~ Although i felt like i was going to die at the end! ... My feet were sore after but like someone else has said get a good pair of shoes! Im sure it will get easier as time passes! GOOD LUCK!
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    It's a great program! I'm so out of shape, I can't do the shorter one's. I started my own 13 week c25k just last night!
  • kriggs1976
    Options

I just did...thanks for that so much!
  • katkat1717
    katkat1717 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    If you use the search option you'll find dozens of threads full of answered questions, tips and success stories.

This is great advice!!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Just follow the program. It works wonderfully.
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of running shoes, and stretch stretch stretch! I injured my knees really bad after starting the program and had to ditch it for now. I realized that I have to strengthen my leg muscles before jumping right into it again.

14839892.png
  • cmp04d
    cmp04d Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've always hated running, but my boyfriend talked me into doing it with him. I'm on week 4 now, and shockingly, I'm really enjoying it. Its definitely challenging at times but totally doable :)
  • fasttrack27
    Options
    Yes, follow it. Don't try to skip ahead if it feels easy, don't skip rest days, etc.. Don't run too fast - find a comfortable pace for YOU (it's not a race, you're building endurance and muscle memory). I still dont enjoy running but at least I can run a 5k now non-stop, so it does indeed work
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    Get a good pair of shoes from a runners shoe store, one that will give a good gait analysis.
    Follow the program.
    Don't feel the need to push too hard.
    I've just graduated, and I'm now a runner.
    And I'm 57!
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I'm on w2d2 today. You can do extra days on each week if you feel you are not ready to move onto the next week. I did 5 days (instead of 3) on week 1 and will probably do at least 4 days on week 2. I don't want to push too hard and risk injury or not being comfortable. I do mine on the treadmill so if I need more difficulty I can up the speeds. I have really seen an improvement in just the last 5 sessions. So worth it! Get some good music to workout to with a great beat for running. Since I am prior military, i find the military cadences are great for me. It just feels right.

Make sure you have good shoes before you even start. It will make the difference in continuing or not!
  • ts1122
    ts1122 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about trying this! Sounds great!
  • pandsmomCheryl
    pandsmomCheryl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 5, and it's been very rewarding, as I have always been a terrible runner. I got an app called "get running" for $2.99 and my music plays in the backround, and it tells me when to run/walk, so I don't have to look at the time. Don't jump ahead, only do the three days per week - this way you won't be prone to injury. This is the the first time I've done any running without getting shin splints or knee pain. Good luck. Oh - and I'm totally noticing a change in my shape (read: butt!) since I started - so go for it!!!! :-)
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    It is honestly the best thing ever! I did week 7 day 2 last night, running for 25mins, I NEVER thought I'd be able to do it, but I can! I love running now, total fan of C25K :happy:
  • zombelina
    zombelina Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Get ye some proper running shoes and don't forget to stretch when you get home!

Planning your route is also a good idea if you're running outdoors. Nothing worse than having to run around the same housing estate 5 times!!
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    I finished it in November and run 3x a week. Don't be afraid to repeat a week if it was hard and podcasts REALLY help. I used kissmyblackass.org (yes it's real) because I like hip hop, but you can find many other kinds. Having someone in my ear saying - "run" or "time to walk" was great. Not having to look at my watch while running was great.

Good luck! I loved it!