Going for curry...any suggestions on selecting the lighter o

Options
I'm going for an Indian curry for valentines tonight and was just looking for some guidance on calories. I know that I should avoid the naan bread but the curry itself can't be that bad surely?

Anyone know how on earth I'm going to log it on MFP??

Replies

• AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I go for a starter chicken tikka, a vegetable side dish (spinach bhaji) as my meal, then just steal tiny bits of husband / friend's food. Even though I feel greedy when I'm looking at the menu, I restrain myself and never regret it afterwards because I hate that really stuffed post-indian feeling.

As for logging it, I'd assess what basic foods you have and then add a good few tbsp vegetable oil to it. Spices aren't calorific, most veggies you probably know aren't calorific, chicken and seafood will be lower than beef or lamb. All the carb sides really add up so be careful with breads, poppadoms, dhal, pilau rice.

Hope it's lovely.
  • bettbett87
    bettbett87 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hey!
    Thanks for the help, although I was very naughty in the end:

2 poppadoms
    Chicken tikka starter (but stuffed with lamb mince!)
    Nice spicy curry with pilau rice for main
    Cheese Naan!!

However, I did not eat ALL of it. I logged it (along with half a bottle of wine) as best I could and the damage doesn't look too bad....

Lots of salad today I think!
  • AprilOneFourFour
    Options
    Cheese naan! Just when you thought they couldn't think of more fattening foods.

Yes, it's salad for you today, but that debit / credit thing is the only way I can stick to the plan and have a life.
  • njh2008
    njh2008 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cheese naan is called Kulcher Naan (sp?) and it is really good :-)
    I havent been for an Indian for monyjs... :-(
  • aimeemusic
    aimeemusic Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Go for spicy dishes that are not cream based ..(chicken tikka is a no go...is orange because of the spices and the heavy cream used to make it). BUT with that said...I LOVE chicken tikka.

Go for naan OR rice (which is hard for me)

appetizers are not nessacisary. If you can visiallize the numbers 100- 150 per piece you will not eat them. You can eat your meal and fell really happy about it. Try it.

If Iget a take away. I get naan and rice but before I eat it, I sort the meal into 3-4 even portions ( use glad containers), freeze the other portions right away and just eat one portion (some sort of curry, rice and naan). By doing this I cut the portion I would eat by 1/3 or 1/4 depending on how much food I get. If I do his, even with naan, rice and creamy dish you will no go over 600 calories. This also means that you would be able to have indian a few more times this week

Saving you money! :)

I do this with almost all take aways :)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    Options
    Go for spicy dishes that are not cream based ..(chicken tikka is a no go...is orange because of the spices and the heavy cream used to make it). BUT with that said...I LOVE chicken tikka.

You're thinking of chicken tikka masala -chicken tikka is just spiced and grilled and perfectly good. Some are orange from fake colouring and some from the spices used.
  • granolagrl85
    Options
    I would have recomended the tandoori chicken. I know our favorite place is 1/2 oil. it's sooooooooo good. ^_^
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Have rasam soup if they have it. So good! It is basically spicy tomato broth. With a few lentils sprinkled in.
  • rochey1098
    Options
    Mmmm chicken tikka for the win. Lots of protien and no sauces or pastry is the key imo
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I always have the okra dish and plain or garlic naan. Skip rice totally and have the chutney which while it has sugars, it isn't as bad as the heavier coconut milk based curries. I love the tomato based and the vegetarian ones.
    Hmm I know what I want to have for lunch tomorrow :).
  • jhyan
    jhyan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Can't avoid having tikka masala... or pasanda! And it's not Indian food if you skip the palau and naan... so I just eat a smaller portion!