I have problems...lol

Options
tabi26
tabi26 Posts: 535 Member
Hi all! I have Crohns disease, and at the moment I'm having a VERY hard time eating my minimum calories for the day. I eat anywhere from 400-800 calories a day depending on how hard I can force myself to eat. For those that don't know, crohns causes MAJOR pain every time you eat ANYTHING (sometimes even water hurts). Anyway, I can't have fats really at all and I have to keep carbs under around 80g a day. My body just doesn't digest those two things well because of my disease. What I'm looking for is some higher calorie foods/shakes that are low carb and low fat. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm having a really hard time forcing down plain chicken and pork chops anymore lol. And those foods don't even have that many calories, so I FORCE myself to eat the chicken, log it, and find it's only like 200 calories if that lol. I need something to snack on or a meal or just anything with higher calories, little to no fat, and low carb. I know these are challenging things to find, but does anyone have ANY ideas at all? Or should I just give up until I feel better (could take months, and will take at least another two-three weeks).

Ugh, seriously feel like I'm becoming "accidentally anorexic" lol.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Ugh, what a horrible disease to have! Have your doctor help you find a protein shake that would work for you. Look for a high protein content with little fat and carbs. I use one that I can only get through my doctor. So this is why I suggest having your doctor help you. I would say protein bars, but they tend to be higher in carbs. Do you have problems with soy? Otherwise tofu might be a good option for you. Otherwise, I got nuthin'!
  • adriana_hackney
    adriana_hackney Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    My aunt has struggled with Crohns for a LONG time. So I know what a horrible disease it is. I wish you the best and hope you get everything lined out. XoXoX
  • tabi26
    Options
    Thanks! I'll ask my dr next time I go in. I do drink a protien shake everyday....but it's low calorie too hahaha. All I can really have for fruits is berries and any vegetables I have tend to make me sick AND have to be cooked until they're all mushy GROSS haha. Just having such a hard time, as I like to workout, but have given up for the moment as I can't even eat my minimum calories, so burning any extra is probably not the best plan. Vicious cycle I tell you! Lol.
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Wow, I don't have any answers for you. I just tried to do a search and keep coming up with foods you CANNOT eat. Not helpful. Other than ensure is supposed to be a good thing. good luck
  • chellekoren
    chellekoren Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    http://www.everydayhealth.com/crohns-diet-pictures/joy-bauer-best-foods-for-crohns-disease.aspx#/slide-4

I just found this article. I like maranatha and Santa cruz for creamy all natural peanut butter. some all natural peanut butters don't taste so great. That would be a great try. Yogurt was another option that sounded yummy. again, good luck
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    My best friend has Crohns and she drinks the low fat (lite) muscle milk and gets plenty of Protein and loves the flavors, this has helped her put some of her weight back on and maintain it, I know it is not perfect but it is low fat, high protein and lactose free which I think also bothers her crohns disease. Good luck finding some foods that help you, I know how much it can affect you.
  • Cheryl943
    Options
    Bless your heart, what a terrible struggle you are having. I hope you find the solutions you need and feel better soon. I have no suggestions for you but will keep positive thoughts and prayers heading your way.:flowerforyou:
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    My sister in law has Crohns - 2 yrs ago she decided she was tired of the pills and refused to get the shots -- instead she stopped seeing the doctor and changed her complete diet to whole organic foods - gluten free as well -- she still flairs but not as often as she did - less than when she was taking the medication even

-- NO I AM NOT SAYING STOP YOUR MEDICATION - but changing your diet can help lots.
  • KCharron20
    Options
    I'm no expert on Crohn's but I have a suggestion for you. My husband has Crohn's disease and when we went to the gym a gentlemen there who is a health coach suggested trying a gluten free diet. He said that Crohn's is actually late stage Celiac or wheat & gluten intolerance. My husband tried his suggestion and has not been "sick" for over a year. I know it may not work for everyone but it certainly worked for him. He stays away from anything with wheat & gluten in it (breads, pastas, etc.) and stays away from certain types of vegetables (like Broccoli & lettuce) and he feels some much better. The diet takes some preparation but it's well worth it.
  • salsera_barbie
    salsera_barbie Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I had a friend with Chrons. When he had flare up, he would usually have milkshakes. His go to shake was a chocolate peanut butter one from Robecks. I think Jamba juice has something similar.

I know all the pain my friend suffered and wish you the best.
  • Mrsdaffy2
    Options
    Check out 'Complan' high calories shakes along with what you can eat comfortably best of luck =D
  • JenLaPointe
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. Are you on any medications for Crohn's? I have heard to people following a raw vegen diet or Dr. David Klein's "healing diet." Also have been told that mangosteen helps. I haven't personally tired any of these. My Crohn's is well controlled with meds. But it might be helpful to look these up online. I also like the website ccfa.org It has really good reliable info. Hope you feel better soon.
  • tabi26
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I'll be sure to look into your suggestions! I did a search on the nutrients in ensure, and it has way too many carbs for one sitting for me :( would make me sick for sure. And yes I do avoid dairy. I haven't avoided gluten yet as I don't feel like that's the problem for me....I am, however, going to look into getting tested for a gluten intolerance. Can't hurt to test for lots of stuff! Lol.