first 5k

Options
Planned on doing my first 5k in June and just found out there will be one in March and inspired to go for it! I hear that once you start doing races you get addicted, is this true? How did you start doing races? I already run daily at least 30 minutes so fill sure I can do it!

Replies

• jsflare
    Options
    I did my first 5 mile race in July of 2011 and havent stopped doing them, I have 4 scheduled for this year already, a 5k, 7k, half marathon (really nervous for this one) and then doing the warrior dash in July!!! so they are kind of addicting yeah!!!
  • Nurse_krissy
    Nurse_krissy Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on signing up for your first 5k! If you're already running 30 min at a time, 5k will be easy-smeasy!

Yes, they are absolutely, 100% addicting! :) It's wonderful, too, because then it gives you goals beyond the scale. I've hit my goal weight but I want to be motivated to keep at it and races are a wonderful tool for that. You will be looking for longer, more challenging races as time goes on. I'll be doing my first 12k in May and am super excited!

I don't know how competitive you are, but I race to finish, not to win. Having that goal makes me focus on the fun part of the race, not worried about coming in first (or last!). My fiance, on the other hand, races to win. Thankfully, he usually comes in first at least in his division, but he gets upset if he doesn't. In my opinion, that loses the fun!
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    yes, they do get addicting, but the price not so much lol
    i started racing by signing up and going bc i wanted to commit to exercise.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    Options
    Thank you I just want to finish and then improve my finishing places is my goal! :smile:
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    YES DO IT!!! It feels awesome!!!!! AWESOME!!!!