Reduced Fat...Better or Worse?

I recently bought reduced fat peanut butter...let's call it "Bif" brand peanut butter. After getting it home and comparing it to regular "Bif", I was shocked by the results. While fat was indeed reduced -- from 16g to 12g -- and sat fat 3g to 2.5g -- the other nutritional info was disappointing to say the least. The calories were the same --190, but much to my surprise, the reduced fat "Bif" contains MORE CARBS 15g to 7g -- MORE SODIUM 250mg to 150mg -- MORE SUGAR 4g to 3g - -and LESS FIBER 1g to 2g. I guess it's my fault for assuming that reduced fat means HEALTHIER, but is it really?

Just a little heads up to others out there who see REDUCED fat, sugar, etc. and believe it means something other than what it is. Read the labels...make informed choices...don't assume anything. Reduced fat means just that--reduced fat---it doesn't necessarily mean "better for you".

This information is surprising to me..perhaps it is to you, too.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    If you look at labels, a lot of the reduced fat foods out there have increased sugar, to make up for the loss of flavor when removing the fat. Just because it says reduced fat does not mean it's reduced calorie!
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    It is actually worse for you. Fat is healthier than empty carbs. I noticed the same thing and that's why I don't buy most low-fat products.