Runners I need advice on heart rate management

Options
So, I'm not a distance runner. I'm trying to be, but man is it difficult for me. I ran track in school (100m dash, 400m relay), but I could never run more than a mile without completely falling apart.

So, I've been doing c25k. I am about 6 weeks into it. I've had to repeat some weeks twice as I try to get my endurance up. As my intervals are increasing I am finding it harder and harder to keep my heart rate in a reasonable range. I am finding myself maxing out about 2/3 of the way through the interval. Eventually, I have to stop because I start getting light headed. I've got a good rhythm to my breathing. I'm taking controlled deep breaths. I'm not running at too fast a pace (5.0mph and I'm tall with long legs). I'm not sure what to do.

Any tips?

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    When I first start running, after a long layoff, I ignore the heart rate and just run as far as I can, then walk, then repeat.

I believe that when you are aerobically unfit, any exertion at all sends the HR high. I would recommend you just keep doing what you are doing until you can run continuously. It will come and once you can do that the HR will become more of a reliable measure.

FWIW - last year I restarted running and was doing around 12 min miles with walk breaks for over a month. I kept at it and this Jan ran 13 miles at a 7:17 pace.